Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 02:59 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,189,530 times

Advertisements

Stay where you are!!!!!! Or maybe Cicely Alaska.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 12:36 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllysonV View Post
My husband and I are very interested in moving to the Alaskan bush with our daughter. I’m an experienced special educator/administrator and he’s an experienced school counselor. I understand the villages and experiences vary widely and that a time commitment will be important. We very much want to be away from the major cities and in the bush, but our primary concern and only reservation is access to emergency medicine should we need care for our daughter who has a seizure disorder. It’s not frequent that we’ve needed emergency care, but the few times we have during her 11 years makes us cautious to go beyond a certain travel radius. Can anyone tell me what remote sites are most accessible to emergency medicine and how much travel time we should expect in order to access that level of care?
I'm not sure anyone can answer your question because we don't know what "emergency care" your daughter needs when she does need it. Probably better to contact the communities with schools and available positions and ask them whether they even have a clinic and if they do, what level of emergency care the local clinic can provide. Eliminate the ones that can't provide it. Also realize that clinics can have pretty limited hours and staff. They can go months without providers if they can't attract them due to salary or living conditions.

Medivac transport is extremely expensive because of the logistics involved here. There are specialized insurance programs you can join that help pay for it. However, if the transport can't reach you it won't do any good.

Example: I had a heart attack right before Christmas. I was medivaced from Homer to Anchorage...about 120 miles. Not very far, but traveling by road meant several hours. The Homer airport supports commercial aircraft that fly IFR. Maybe 30 minutes of flight time. All in all a fairly simple proposition compared to many "bush" situations. However, it was snowing, and the aircraft had to fly in from somewhere else to pick me up. It was snowing there too. The flight was delayed several hours. That 30 minute trip cost about $20,000.

Understand this if nothing else:

You may NOT HAVE emergency support services for your daughter either because it doesn't exist at the particular bush community clinic or because the air taxi flight service that would have to transport you to it does not fly 24/7 on a moment's notice. If they aren't flying, YOU aren't going anywhere. That means during bad weather and darkness or no operational aircraft available when you want it. Which is a reality for much of the year. If the community has marine ferry transport it could be hours before you reach help and weather can stop the ferry too. If you pick a community on the limited road system you could possibly drive her to care, but again, distance and weather/road conditions could make that a very long trip.

Example: I lived in Gustavus, AK for decades. It is a pretty well connected nice "bush" community in SE. There is no road in or out...and many bush communities are like this. It is a short 25 minute flight from Juneau and Juneau's hospital. It has a decent clinic and it also has some EMT response because there is a cooperative agreement with the National Park Service ranger staff. They medivac tourists and cruise ship passengers out of Gustavus fairly often in the summer, but if the weather's bad, no one goes anywhere. That 25 minutes means nothing if you can't fly.

Its fine to want to teach up here. If you really want to try it, pick a city/town with a hospital. Once you get to know the realities and the surrounding smaller towns, consider a transfer. Bush living seems attractive, but it also means accepting inconvenience, expense, and more risk. Only you can decide how much is acceptable.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-22-2020 at 01:22 PM..

Old 01-22-2020, 01:50 PM

2,054 posts, read 1,663,604 times
Kodiak has a hospital and, although off the road system, I wouldn't call it in the bush. Bethel, Nome, and Kotzebue all have hospitals with 24hr emergency care. These towns are larger than the typical bush village but small enough and isolated enough to say they are in the bush. I couldn't tell you how competent the care is at these hospitals, however.

Old 01-22-2020, 07:49 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,303 times
Send me a direct message. You are going to be limited to hubs. I know Nome, Bethel, Kotzebue, Town formally called Barrow, and Dillingham have hospitals. We lived in Dillingham and despite the hospital our son had to be medevaced when his appendix ruptured and it took 4 trips to ER before they realized it was an emergency and actually listened to us. We had to move because my wife needed medical care that couldn’t be provided.

Our medevac took 12 hours. Sometimes weather just happens.
Another thing you need to consider is childcare. It will be substandard to what you want. Trust me on this. Don’t listen to the school district either. Even in a hub childcare is a challenge.

Why do you guys want to be in the bush? I spent 6 years teaching in the bush and I’d love to return. Just can’t with my family.

Get your post count up and contact me. I’ll fill you in.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:04 AM

18 posts, read 32,014 times
Hit me up. We are in very rural yet still on the road system. We have openings for both SPED and a Counsleor. The Counselor right now and SPED starting in Aug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska