Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 12:45 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times

Advertisements

I do agree with much of what you say...but this stuff about "cheerleaders" -- I'm not sure where you're getting that from. Certainly none of the regular posters here can be classified as such. You aren't saying anything that quite a few others haven't already said.

I'm not going to call you a troll, but I'm going to call out statements like this as trollish:

Quote:
To pretend otherwise is a disservice to newbies.
As I've said a couple of times, none of the regular posters here are pretending that Alaska is full of rainbows and bunnies. Most of them actually are people who have moved to the state as an adult from other parts of the country, btw.

Again, most of your points contain a great deal of truth and accuracy, but the accusatory tone is quite uncalled for.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-20-2016 at 01:00 AM..

Old 07-20-2016, 12:51 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskamo View Post

/snip/

Alaska does not offer anything in the same manner or fashion as other states,...

/snip/
What are you talking about? We are very fashionable. Xtra Tuffs and bunny boots go well with all of the new, fancy Carhartt colors.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:54 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,882 times
^lol, I just realized I read your post wrong. I thought you said "Alaska does not offer anything in the same manner OF fashion as other states,..."

Although, I suppose that would also be completely true.

Clearly, it is past my bedtime.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:11 AM

7 posts, read 40,194 times
Metlakatla, I do not pay attention to who is regular and wasn't referring to anyone specifically. Cheerleaders exist in every forum on every subject known to man. This makes me accusatory of all the regulars? Yeah, okay. I'm writing a general post on the internet, trying to reach the wide world at large, but it's interpreted as a personal attack. That is what I consider uncalled for. Why does everything devolve into such arguments?

I'm writing to warn those users researching Alaska at home. This is not the time to just up and move to a state which is very hard to transition to during a good year. It will get worse before it gets better with program cuts, and a new tax system yet to be determined. Should I tiptoe through the shadows, afraid someone will think I'm a bitter troll, unoriginal, or picking on them? Many of those who are researching the subject do not care if something has been said a thousand times, they are looking for validation, information, and recent answers. Speaking of which, I am not looking for validation and do not care if everyone on citydata despised me. They do not know me. In real life, I have connections to key decision makers and every industry. So I rather have an "accusatory tone" than allow one newbie to uproot his or her life for dire or negative consequences.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:48 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
You've said absolutely nothing that hasn't been said time and time again on this forum by a variety of posters. You're not the oracle that you think you are.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:43 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
And historically, AK has gone thru several difficult recessions. When the pipeline frenzy died and it was finally built, when the last two oil recessions hit, etc. My brother was caught in one and his house was worth a lot less than his mortgage. He just waited it out. All but one in my family have left over time. Parents left when they retired, brother relocated with his company and I left in 77 since husband got a much better career out of Alaska. I do have one brother that was born in AK and will probably stay there until he dies. Although he just retired and now is free to do what he wants to do.

I agree that now is not the time for a life adventure to Alaska to live. Work, save money and check it out in a couple of years.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:22 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
First, I'm not a big fan of Alaska. I had a great childhood growing up there and still know many people to this day that live there who absolutely love it and would never choose any other place to live. My parents moved to Alaska as adults and the state and people have been very good to them both in friendships and financially. It comes down to personal preferences.

I've spent years in Alaska, Washington, Florida, California and even Australia and especially in places like Alaska and Florida, I see people move full of problems thinking they will all disappear if they just move. It doesn't work that way. Alaska isn't some magical place where gold can be found in everyone's backyard. If you come unskilled and with no plan, you will be out of luck just like anywhere else in the world.

I see similar issues in Florida. People move down here thinking they will be living in a paradise. Then they discover that unless they are rich they will have to have two jobs or many roommates to make ends meet with our skyrocketing rents and home prices. That will leave little time to enjoy what they came down here for: the beaches, fishing, boating, etc.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No sure what the point is. I didn't claim that visiting Alaska was cheap; what I said was that it's more expensive to be a tourist anywhere than it is to live in that same area. And who cares about Florida -- it's a sinkhole that's cheap for a reason.

I think the tourists get their money's worth here -- no one comes to Alaska looking for a cheap getaway, but some of the cruise options are actually fairly inexpensive for those without a lot of money who want to see some spectacular scenery. Florida has plenty of budget travel options, but I'll bet that those who prefer luxury vacations can find available options at prices that rival those in Alaska.

Whether Alaska is a good place to own and operate a business is pretty subjective and depends highly on the nature of the business.

Yet millions of tourists & snowbirds come down to this "sinkhole" every winter to soak up the sun while the rest of the country freezes.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:41 AM

Frankly I appreciate Alaskamo's posts because people who are considering moving to Alaska might not be aware. They have stars in their eyes about the wonderful life they will have when they move to Alaska. Same thing with people who move to Florida. Too many don't realize that from June-September it is hot, very hot. Very hot and very humid. We have scary thunderstorms every day in the summer. Then when the weather gets a little cooler and less humid we have the attack of the snowbirds! That 20 minute commute to work, well it's now 45 minutes. That favorite restaurant of yours now has an hour wait instead of 5 minutes.

People really need to do some serious research and get the positive AND negatives before they move somewhere. We didn't do that when we moved from FL to NC in 1990 and regretted moving there almost immediately. We had friends that moved there and told us how great it was. We wanted a change so we packed up our two little ones and moved there. Talk about backwoods, uneducated people. We weren't in any of the large cities, we were in a small town about 90 minutes from the coast. If we had the internet back then we probably wouldn't have made the move. Lived there 9 years and came back to Florida.

The thing is if you are moving to escape your problems, they are going to follow you wherever you go. Sometimes you will luck out and discover your new city and state are perfect for you but don't expect a change of venue to change your life. It might, but don't expect it.

I dream of living in Colorado because spending most of my life in the flatlands of Long Island, eastern NC and south Florida, I long to see mountains and snow at Christmas. Skiing looks like fun. But I realize that while I might visit Colorado, I am in no way willing to start wearing boots, coats and wool socks for months on end. I'm being realistic, which more people need to do before making big moves.

I'm growing to love my Florida a little more each year.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:10 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Yet millions of tourists & snowbirds come down to this "sinkhole" every winter to soak up the sun while the rest of the country freezes.
Youcan't cure ignorance, I would say that would be my biggest complaint about the people in Alaska is that they aren'tvery well traveled generally speaking or open to other cultures. It's that small town mentality that comes with a lot of stereotypes. When I moved from Alaska to California, there were quite a few people saying, "oh my goodness, I would never go there because the crime is so high, I don't want to be killed by some crazy" and I'm just thinking sigh... like how do you even respond to someone so lost in their own ignorance LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska