Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 07:28 PM

7 posts, read 40,165 times

Advertisements

This is my first post on citydata, though I have been reading various forums for several years. It’s going to be highly negative to counter any cheerleading that gives newcomers a false impression. Sure, there are those who had great transitions, but it's not the norm so don't ever assume it will be. Don't assume anything even based on intensive research. Live it yourself. Having midnight sun for months straight WILL make some feel insane, it is not a joke.

Ask yourself, what is that draws you here? Then ask yourself, is that reality, or just a means to escape?

Alaska is an experience, and a wonderful state to visit, most definitely, but it has little infrastructure in comparison to other states. It is not a place to just relocate because it "seems" like fun. Alaska also has a strong sense of self, having been ignored and misunderstood by the Lower 48, while it also has a literal disconnect – this means the state does not compete and is not compelled to compete with the Lower 48 in terms of success, achievement, and quality of life. It can't. If you are the type to demand change, it won't be coming with you. Accept it.

So I say with certainty, and with solemnness, that Alaska, despite its big beauty, is a vast ****hole, the worst in the union. DO NOT MOVE HERE for some sense of adventure that may be depicted on a garbage reality show. With unrealized potential, an inferiority complex, yet a lackadaisical, unprofessional attitude across the board, Alaska is going nowhere. It will never reach its potential. It certainly won’t be coming to a bi-partisian agreement any time soon on what to do with its wealth, which is both a blessing and a curse. The state can ride out any economic downturn, yet each side fights over the profits and residents bear the brunt.

The university system is under stress. Citizens are hostile and paranoid in everyday situations. Homelessness and drug addicts are rampant. These things may not bother you, but if you are used to certain standards, then yes, it will, and will wear you down. And no, it's not comparable to every other state or city. Anchorage, for example, has to be the ugliest city in the U.S. with architecture from 1964, a lack of vision, cohesion and character. Fairbanks is a complete dump. Both are run like backwaters, despite their population sizes.

Perhaps there is something for you, but for many, it does not exist and they find out too late. I've seen it, having been here for two decades and watching many come and go, burned out in the process. Knowing everyone there is to know in the state, from business to government and academia, I can also say the state does not purposely attract talent, although some manage to make their way here. These bright spots are not enough to take the Last Frontier to the next level, unfortunately.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:21 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
First, I'm not a big fan of Alaska. I had a great childhood growing up there and still know many people to this day that live there who absolutely love it and would never choose any other place to live. My parents moved to Alaska as adults and the state and people have been very good to them both in friendships and financially. It comes down to personal preferences.

I personally think Alaska is better for living rather than visiting. As a visitor there aren't many quaint towns or streets to stroll. You are stuck paying for over priced hotels, rental cars, fishing tours etc. However, as a resident none of this applies. You can ride your ATV, snow machine, boat and go fishing with a pretty cheap annual fishing license.

Moving to a place and trying to change it doesn't work ANYWHERE nor will you be recieved positively. If you move to California and try to ban the LGBT community, you are in for a rude awakening. It makes zero sense to think you can demand change as an outsider. If you don't like the place, then don't move there to try and turn it into the place you moved from.

The economy is pretty good in Alaska and the government even gives you a check each year. You pay zero in state income tax and most people pay little to zero in sales tax.

I don't see how people are hostile and paranoid in everyday situations, while I'm not a fan of Alaska, I find the people to be friendly. If you think homelessness is a problem there, try going to California, Oregon or Washington. However, I will agree with that Fairbanks is a dump.

I've spent years in Alaska, Washington, Florida, California and even Australia and especially in places like Alaska and Florida, I see people move full of problems thinking they will all disappear if they just move. It doesn't work that way. Alaska isn't some magical place where gold can be found in everyone's backyard. If you come unskilled and with no plan, you will be out of luck just like anywhere else in the world.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:14 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Most people are drawn to Alaska to see the wilderness, not for "quaint towns." Nonetheless, there's Skagway, Haines, Homer, Talkeetna and a few more picturesque places for those who like that sort of thing. It's true, however, that it costs a lot more to visit here than to live here, but I think that's the case anywhere with high tourist populations.

Alaska's economy is uncertain right now and the check probably won't exist for much longer. I'm guessing it's been awhile since you actually lived in Alaska, bmw. People are losing jobs right and left because of the oil crash, and I don't think the state has seen the worst of it. I'm not sure that many people realize just how much the oil money paid for besides the check -- state services, schools, clinics...

I agree with the OP for the most part, but I have to wonder where he/she gets the impression concerning "any cheerleading that gives newcomers a false impression." Pretty sure none of the forum regulars here engage in that type of thing.

Plenty of us have made similar statements only to be shouted down by posters who've never even been here accusing us of trying to kill people's dreams by being "negative." I think that's because most of us have seen it firsthand -- people who've moved up on spec., run into some bad luck, and basically got stuck with no money to get home. It used to be such a problem here that the state had designated funding for the purpose of buying plane tickets home for those who found themselves in a predicament. That safety net doesn't exist anymore.

I do think there's room for adventurous people here (who have a plan and a backup plan), and I hold out hope that the state will actually change for the better in the absence of the check and the oil crowd.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-19-2016 at 09:45 PM..

Old 07-19-2016, 09:18 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
First, I'm not a big fan of Alaska. I had a great childhood growing up there and still know many people to this day that live there who absolutely love it and would never choose any other place to live. My parents moved to Alaska as adults and the state and people have been very good to them both in friendships and financially. It comes down to personal preferences.

I personally think Alaska is better for living rather than visiting. As a visitor there aren't many quaint towns or streets to stroll. You are stuck paying for over priced hotels, rental cars, fishing tours etc. However, as a resident none of this applies. You can ride your ATV, snow machine, boat and go fishing with a pretty cheap annual fishing license.

Moving to a place and trying to change it doesn't work ANYWHERE nor will you be recieved positively. If you move to California and try to ban the LGBT community, you are in for a rude awakening. It makes zero sense to think you can demand change as an outsider. If you don't like the place, then don't move there to try and turn it into the place you moved from.

The economy is pretty good in Alaska and the government even gives you a check each year. You pay zero in state income tax and most people pay little to zero in sales tax.

I don't see how people are hostile and paranoid in everyday situations, while I'm not a fan of Alaska, I find the people to be friendly. If you think homelessness is a problem there, try going to California, Oregon or Washington. However, I will agree with that Fairbanks is a dump.

I've spent years in Alaska, Washington, Florida, California and even Australia and especially in places like Alaska and Florida, I see people move full of problems thinking they will all disappear if they just move. It doesn't work that way. Alaska isn't some magical place where gold can be found in everyone's backyard. If you come unskilled and with no plan, you will be out of luck just like anywhere else in the world.
In reality our economy is not good at the moment.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:54 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Most people are drawn to Alaska to see the wilderness, not for "quaint towns." Nonetheless, there's Skagway, Haines, Homer, Talkeetna and a few more picturesque places for those who like that sort of thing. It's true, however, that it costs a lot more to visit here than to live here, but I think that's the case anywhere with high tourist populations.

Alaska's economy is uncertain right now and the check probably won't exist for much longer. I'm guessing it's been awhile since you actually lived in Alaska, bmw. People are losing jobs right and left because of the oil crash, and I don't think the state has seen the worst of it. I'm not sure that many people realize just how much the oil money paid for besides the check -- state services, schools, clinics...

I agree with the OP for the most part, but I have to wonder where he/she gets the impression concerning "any cheerleading that gives newcomers a false impression." Pretty sure none of the forum regulars here engage in that type of thing.

Plenty of us have made similar statements only to be shouted down by posters who've never even been here accusing us of trying to kill people's dreams by being "negative." I think that's because most of us have seen it firsthand -- people who've moved up on spec., run into some bad luck, and basically got stuck with no money to get home. It used to be such a problem here that the state had designated funding for the purpose of buying plane tickets home for those who found themselves in a predicament. That safety net doesn't exist anymore.

I do think there's room for adventurous people here (who have a plan and a backup plan), and I hold out hope that the state will actually change for the better in the absence of the check and the oil crowd.
For example, Orlando where I currently live is the most visited city in the entire country, yet you can get a 4 star hotel under $100 and find car rentals for less than $10 plus tax/fee. Alaska is outrageously expensive for tourists from fishing licenses, hotels, car rentals, restaurants, virtually everything and the best parts of Alaska are generally only seen by locals.

It's true about Alaska's economy at the moment because of the crash in oil prices. I still have lots of friends and family there. The last time I've lived there was in 2011, but I visit every year for about a month. Our family's business is still hitting new records each month (year over year), but it is true about oil related jobs, which could then lead to other industries being hurt since there will be less money in the economy. My cousin's husband was let go recently from the slope. Luckily, he is the only person I know personally who has lost their job in that field, but it will probably get worse until oil rebounds.

I mean that's the thing, people who haven't been able to make it where they live, think of I can come to Alaska or Florida and everything will be turned around. For Alaska, people think it's untapped wilderness and they can just live off the land or whatever they have in their minds. However, much of what the OP seemed to be touching base on was a political issue and how nobody is willing to demand change. It goes to reason that you don't move somewhere and then try to demand change and then get angry when locals don't want change. Also, if you come with a plan, Alaska still isn't bad. There are businesses in Alaska with cap rates much higher than in the lower 48s. I will say even though I don't like living in Alaska, it can be a great place to own and operate a business.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:06 PM

No sure what the point is. I didn't claim that visiting Alaska was cheap; what I said was that it's more expensive to be a tourist anywhere than it is to live in that same area. And who cares about Florida -- it's a sinkhole that's cheap for a reason.

I think the tourists get their money's worth here -- no one comes to Alaska looking for a cheap getaway, but some of the cruise options are actually fairly inexpensive for those without a lot of money who want to see some spectacular scenery. Florida has plenty of budget travel options, but I'll bet that those who prefer luxury vacations can find available options at prices that rival those in Alaska.

Whether Alaska is a good place to own and operate a business is pretty subjective and depends highly on the nature of the business.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 07-19-2016 at 10:34 PM..

Old 07-19-2016, 10:54 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,901,981 times
So you signed up on an Alaskan based forum to trash Alaska?

Quote:
It’s going to be highly negative to counter any cheerleading that gives newcomers a false impression.
Have you even bothered to READ anything in this forum? Obviously not. So, why not contribute in HELPFUL, accurate information instead of just standing there stomping your feet like a child throwing a temper tantrum. Either that or move on back to the other forums you troll.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:46 PM

Quote:
My cousin's husband was let go recently from the slope. Luckily, he is the only person I know personally who has lost their job in that field, but it will probably get worse until oil rebounds.
As I've stated previously, in this and other threads, there's much more to it than the north slope workers. It's not just about whatever money oil workers spend being gone from the economy. The oil money funded a great deal of state services, including education. The U of A alone is losing a lot of programs. That's just one of the areas where cuts are being made. Many regional clinics are losing operating funds as the oil money disappears. There's more.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:09 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,901,981 times
Yep, I heard today that UAF is cutting 33 programs.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:33 AM

7 posts, read 40,165 times
Sure, I signed up to just "bash" Alaska. Actually, I've been on citydata reading for years, signed up in early 2015, but have not felt the need to post until now. And I'm interested in reaching those wishing to relocate from the Lower 48, specifically those looking for an "adventure" and a reality that does not exist. Don't want to take it seriously? Then don't. Call me a wah wah troll and throw away your options and your life if you wish. It's your choice!

Alaska does not offer anything in the same manner or fashion as other states, from public services to private businesses. To pretend otherwise is a disservice to newbies. Very simple things that many take for granted in the Lower 48 will not be available, and will not be brought in. That's my original point. There are also vast discrepancies in service between areas of the state itself. If that is what you want, then go for it.

In my opinion, accurate information about Alaska, for those wishing to relocate, does not come from anyone who has grown up and lived here. It is from adults who moved here as adults and have had some semblance of living in populated areas, or with distinct or varied climates, and have made the adjustments. Many do not make it. Some do. Alaska has been excellent for me financially, but absolute disasters for others who come in expecting just another U.S. state and can't adjust to the people, the weather, or the vast vacuum. The "life is what you make it" optimism, while admirable, is not going to cut it in a state with less infrastructure and very little comparison to states that have equally high costs of living. That is the way it is.

Also, Alaska's government revenue is 90 percent based on a falling, volatile commodity. The legislature has done nothing to weed off from this dependency and will most likely never will. The next two years will be especially difficult for the state. It is ill advised to pick up stakes and come to town just to see what happens.

Edited to fix above fact.

Last edited by Alaskamo; 07-20-2016 at 12:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska