Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,692 times

Advertisements

MY NAME IS MICHELE. MY HUSBAND AND I ARE LOOKING TO MOVE TO HOMER, AK. LOVE TO MOVE BY THE END OF SUMMER. MY HUSBAND WOULD NO DOUBT LIKE TO WORK ON THE DOCKS OR THE FISHING INDUSTRY IN SOME WAY.ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE TO LOOK FOR THESE TYPES OF JOBS ( YOUR LOCAL PUB?)ANY WHERE ON LINE BESIDES THE NEWS PAPERS? I CAN'T WAIT TO BE THERE SO i CAN BEGIN TO LIVE MY LIFE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 02:20 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,888,810 times
Use the forum search and please don't type in ALL CAPS!!!!

Old 03-17-2008, 03:11 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,034,350 times
Moving to Alaska won't bring peace to your world. Alaska will often magnify your current status. If you have peace it will increase, if you have turmoil, that will increase.

As far as getting into the fishing industy, the jobs are found on the docks. You will be walking the docks along with everyone else competing for the same jobs. It will be something you will need to slowly work into. Good jobs don't come easy, but if you war willing to take any job that pays, you should find something. If I were he, I would take a job that allowed me to sleep in my own bed. That means a dock job rather than a boat job.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:51 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
If by "peace" you mean get away from the crowds and such in the lower 48, you'll want to find a rural place without a lot of neighbors, not a city or town, but one doesn't want to jump into a rural lifestyle, particularly in Alaska, without the knowledge and ability to do well and enjoy it...and land on the road system is often expensive (but with some exceptions).

There are lots of more relaxing/enjoyable jobs in Alaska besides commercial fishing and related. I love fishing for food, but you wouldn't ever catch me working at commercial fishing...

Old 03-17-2008, 04:13 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
You say you want to move by the end of summer. If you arrive here then, you'd better bring enough money to make it through the winter on.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:12 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
You say you want to move by the end of summer. If you arrive here then, you'd better bring enough money to make it through the winter on.
That's right, because the end of summer also is the end of fishing, at least most of it.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:06 PM

624 posts, read 1,161,668 times
Michele

I will be more optimistic about your family moving to Alaska, than some of the answers you have received. If you think you can be self sufficient enough and every one of your family is working toward the same goal in life it will work. Sometimes Alaska is the place of shattered dreams, it will not solve anything in your life that you are not willing to change to best suit you living there.

As a cancer survivor, best advice I can give you are already living your life.

But best of luck should you move, I suggest you visit first.And I think most posters will say the same thing.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:23 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
The answers she was given were realistic. A hell of a lot more realistic than thinking you can come up here and get one of them high payin' fishing jobs they talk about on tv at the end of summer. And realism is what works here.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-17-2008 at 09:34 PM..

Old 03-19-2008, 01:44 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV AND HAP View Post
MY NAME IS MICHELE. MY HUSBAND AND I ARE LOOKING TO MOVE TO HOMER, AK. LOVE TO MOVE BY THE END OF SUMMER. MY HUSBAND WOULD NO DOUBT LIKE TO WORK ON THE DOCKS OR THE FISHING INDUSTRY IN SOME WAY.ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHERE TO LOOK FOR THESE TYPES OF JOBS ( YOUR LOCAL PUB?)ANY WHERE ON LINE BESIDES THE NEWS PAPERS? I CAN'T WAIT TO BE THERE SO i CAN BEGIN TO LIVE MY LIFE!
Peace is found within your own self, not by a certain location. However, life in Alaska may just be the place to help YOU find your inner peace, or set you on the right path. It will not however, hand it to you on a gold platter, no place will do this for you.

I have a terminal brain disorder. The fluid in my brain and spine is disappearing. I have 3-5 years to live a normal life before all my brain function and motor skills cease. I'm working to find that inner peace within myself but admit it is not easy. Even though I've decided to leave Alaska, I realize another "place" will not bring me peace. Only God and myself can accomplish this. I sold my home and am going to live on the beach, as it has always been a dream, but not because it will instantly bring peace to me. No place will do this for you.

As for working on the docks, it's a tough row to hoe, but can be done. If youre just looking to make $10 an hour, you will find work. More then that, might take a while. Best of luck! And find that peace you seek BEFORE you come, not after.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:42 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
And be prepared to take a lower paying job at any given moment. You may need to start with something less desirable and work your way up. And at times you may be forced to take a less paying job if you work seasonal types like canneries or fishing boats. I know lot's of folks that nearly starve through winter because they are to proud to get a waitress or janitorial job. And they whine and cry the loudest because there is no work. There is always work. Just some of it pays much less than others. But a job is a job when it's middle of winter and you need groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska