Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 06:49 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If it was that easy don't you think the people of King Cove would go that route. Do you have any idea what it would entail and how much it would cost to build all those bridges? You must think the people of King Cove are stupid. Your racist attitude is dripping with condescension and arrogance. The people of King Cove understand the situation much better than you ever will. Regurgitating eco fascist propaganda just makes you look like the stupid one.
Wow, oppose chopping up a federal wilderness area to make things better for a Japanese-owned fish company and you're "racist" and an "eco-fascist." If it's my federal tax dollars building a road either way I say go for the least environmentally destructive option. So why don't you present some evidence that there's a valid reason not to go with the road on private lands instead of resorting to ad hominem fallacies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Try being honest and genuine. The map is on page 8. It in no way, shape or form cuts the refuge in half. It ruins nothing. Further more commercial traffic is prohibited from using the road.

https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Re...ic_scoping.pdf
You must be looking at a different map than me because that roads cuts right through the refuge. If you understood basic concepts like fragmentation of habitat you'd understand the destruction it will cause. In fact that's why the road was already rejected before, because the review found it would be destructive.

https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/se...-road-proposal

Old 12-22-2017, 08:01 AM

459 posts, read 585,782 times
Quote:
Your racist attitude is dripping with condescension and arrogance. The people of King Cove understand the situation much better than you ever will. Regurgitating eco fascist propaganda just makes you look like the stupid one.

Impressive. The guy impresses me as an extremist .......

What makes him a racist?

What "eco fascist propaganda" are you hearing or is this some secret King Cove Code?

Old 12-22-2017, 08:13 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Wow, oppose chopping up a federal wilderness area to make things better for a Japanese-owned fish company and you're "racist" and an "eco-fascist." If it's my federal tax dollars building a road either way I say go for the least environmentally destructive option. So why don't you present some evidence that there's a valid reason not to go with the road on private lands instead of resorting to ad hominem fallacies.
The road will be blocked off and only opened up for emergency medical transports. But you already knew that, didn't you. And there is no private land option. If there was, don't you think the road would have been built by now?

Old 12-22-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
You must be looking at a different map than me because that roads cuts right through the refuge. If you understood basic concepts like fragmentation of habitat you'd understand the destruction it will cause. In fact that's why the road was already rejected before, because the review found it would be destructive.

https://www.doi.gov/pressreleases/se...-road-proposal
Like the pipeline. I can still remember all the horrible things that were supposed to happen to the caribou and other animals. A road through the refuge will disrupt nothing and the eco fascists know it. Once built, it would expose all their lies and propaganda.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexLan View Post
Impressive. The guy impresses me as an extremist .......

What makes him a racist?

What "eco fascist propaganda" are you hearing or is this some secret King Cove Code?
Absolutely no regard for the indigenous people of King Cove. And implying they're stupid because they can't seem to understand that a road can be built on "private" land. Like he's ever been there and actually talked to the people of King Cove and tried to understand the situation from their perspective. A typical outsider "You're to stupid to know what's best for you" attitude. If that isn't racist, condescending and arrogant, I don't know what is.

As for eco fascist propaganda, you can google their garbage quite easily and see what they have to say.

Old 12-22-2017, 09:40 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Aren't fewer than half the residents of King Cove Native these days?

Old 12-22-2017, 09:50 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,862,705 times
Quote:
Like the pipeline. I can still remember all the horrible things that were supposed to happen to the caribou and other animals. A road through the refuge will disrupt nothing and the eco fascists know it. Once built, it would expose all their lies and propaganda.
If you follow the actual research on the subject, not just the news, there actually is a caribou problem near the pipeline and the access roads. Does in those areas have a high miscarriage rate and there's an elevated juvenile mortality rate as well. IIRC the general consensus is that the main reason it's not a bigger problem for the caribou herd overall is that they have a huge additional range - the current amount of road, pipeline, and facilities cover a small percent of the overall habit. I'll see if I can find some references later, but this is not a secret nor a new discovery.

In contrast, the species in this area don't have that giant continuous habitat range.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Absolutely no regard for the indigenous people of King Cove. And implying they're stupid because they can't seem to understand that a road can be built on "private" land. Like he's ever been there and actually talked to the people of King Cove and tried to understand the situation from their perspective. A typical outsider "You're to stupid to know what's best for you" attitude. If that isn't racist, condescending and arrogant, I don't know what is.

As for eco fascist propaganda, you can google their garbage quite easily and see what they have to say.
Nahh, I'm just familiar with small town politics and corruption. Stuff like this happens all the time all over the country. Small community x wants y project and instead of doing it on their own property or dime wants it done on some federal land or something. Case in point the next town over tried to put a road further into a mountainside slope through a state forest when a storm washed it out instead of upgrading an existing town owned road that bypassed the problem area and ended at the same point. Luckily the state said no way. But in this case it's about establishing precedent for going into a federal wilderness area for a road. And if you read above your post you see where it's clearly being pushed already to ensure the road will be widened and opened for commercial traffic. And I happen to care about my national wildlife refuges. Especially ones which form the primary habitat for nearly an entire population of a species. You're upset because someone who cares about our public lands and has some education had the audacity to challenge the supremacy of the almighty dollar here. I'm not unsympathetic to the problems the community has with medical emergencies. It's a common problem for rural communities to have access to emergency care quick enough. I bought my own property knowing full well if I get hurt out there seriously I'm unlikely to make it to care on time. And in winter no chance at all as the road is not plowed. Part of living in an isolated place. There are ways to mitigate their problems without putting a road through that wilderness area. Seems to me it's a politician (mayor) trying to claim the only option is through the wilderness.

Old 12-22-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
There are ways to mitigate their problems without putting a road through that wilderness area. Seems to me it's a politician (mayor) trying to claim the only option is through the wilderness.
It's tundra. I'm sure the birds don't care about a little gravel road through a huge refuge. They seem to do just fine with the existing roads both inside and outside of the refuge. 12 more miles won't make a bit of difference. It's the precedence the eco fascists are most worried about, Alaska Natives be damned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska