Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 09:28 AM

5,475 posts, read 12,241,893 times

Advertisements

Supercubs are very easy to fly and are great starter planes. The problem with them is you get so confident that you become sort of lazy.

I'll tell you what...I've traveled in my share of bush planes: wheel and floats, and a Cessna 180 in the midst of a SE AK storm and turbulance is a very scary thing....and when the DH Beaver gets knocked around even....well, you start to see your life flash pretty quick. But let me tell you....those DH are powerhouses and the workhorse of so many remote communities. Great aircraft
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 AM

And don't forget your dog!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Call me crazy... best bush plane?-dscn0905.jpg   Call me crazy... best bush plane?-dscn0906.jpg  

Old 04-17-2008, 04:19 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,706,752 times
you may also want to consider a Piper Cub J3 with 90hp engine....it's just as good as a Supercub 100hp since it's so light. The problem with the J3 is that it has virtually no storage area, but the price is less than a Supercub.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:27 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,943,043 times
I'm still looking into this even though hubby looked at me like I'd grown another head with five eyes when I told him about it.

I guess the only thing worse than a woman driver is a woman pilot

Old 04-17-2008, 04:30 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
There are a few women commercial pilots out here in the Bethel area. One of them is a pilot in the Piper Navajo, she started flying commercially in a Cessna 172. Build up time they move you up to the next plane in line, the Cessna 207, then the Caravan, and usually a Navajo or a Cessna 406.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:14 AM

20 posts, read 194,929 times
On average, how much money does a bush pilot make? Is it very expensive to go on your own as a home business?

I believe that to become licensed as a commercial pilot can take years if one starts from basic private pilot license. A private license which is like a driver´s license doesnt entitle a person legally to be compensated or hired by a business.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:05 AM

4,989 posts, read 10,018,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
The more I look at real estate, the more I'm liking the remote locations along the rivers and lakes better. My entire family are pilots (all the way back to WWI) and used to charter seaplanes out of Philadelphia. I've logged several "fun" hours on their Piper Cubs and seemed to have a knack for it, and was pretty handy working on them too.

So, I'm thinking that maybe getting my pilot's license for real and purchasing a bush plane might be the best way to go. Sure a plane is expensive, but I could easily purchase a used plane with the difference in property prices being outside "civilized" road access. I'm not looking to make this a professional thing or carry in massive amounts of goods. Just looking for private transportation, maybe picking up or dropping off stuff for my neighbors if I'm heading into town, etc.

So, given that I'm completely insane and assuming that money will fail from heaven to finance this dream... what plane makes the best bush plane in AK for personal use? Super Cub, Husky, Otter or Beaver, one of the Cessna's?

Edit: The area I'm looking at is Mat-Su if that makes a difference.
Not really sure I follow your plan exactly, are you planning on flying out to remote locations, or living there and flying into "town". You mention the valley, but that's not considered remote, and property there isn't all that much cheaper than Anchorage.

Anyway, as you undoubtely know nothing about general aviation is inexpensive, particularly today. I actually own some land in the valley with an airstrip and I've always figured if I could keep a plane there full time, and maybe get an A&P cert so I could do my own maintenance, maybe then owning a plane could become reasonably affordable. However, even with all of that, insurance on a private plane up here can still be similar to an additional small mortgage payment.

Of the planes you mention, there's obviously a reason the Super Cub is so popular up here. My other personal favorites would be a Husky, or a Super Decathalon.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinet View Post
On average, how much money does a bush pilot make? Is it very expensive to go on your own as a home business?

I believe that to become licensed as a commercial pilot can take years if one starts from basic private pilot license. A private license which is like a driver´s license doesnt entitle a person legally to be compensated or hired by a business.
Well, me and my ex were looking at starting our own business---he has flown floats and wheel planes. The highest costs of doing business were the plane, of course. Even if you only operate your business during tourist season, you still must insure it for the entire year, if you own it. I think if you dry-lease the plane then you can get away from that. Anyway, highest costs: plane, insurance, and fuel. I'm sure the fuel part is even worse now. Plus, lots of times you simply can't fly due to the weather. And anytime you spend on the ground, well you're not making money.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:49 AM

20 posts, read 194,929 times
Hello Cobolt,

Give me some numbers just to get an idea...

Thank you

Old 07-19-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinet View Post
Hello Cobolt,

Give me some numbers just to get an idea...

Thank you
What numbers do you want? The cost to insure a Cherokee 6? Fuel costs circa 2006/7? Maint? Office Rent? Why don't you tell me what you're looking to do and then I'll answer accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska