Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 07:06 PM

6,559 posts, read 7,139,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
You've got it. Continental interiors have wider variations in temperatures: higher highs and lower lows. Mongolia is a perfect example of this.

Coastal areas tend to moderate toward a consistent average with fewer wild swings. A case in point is that Minneapolis is colder in winter than Anchorage despite Anchorage being about 1,100 miles farther north, but Minnesota gets baked in summer just as much as Oklahoma or Kansas does (though perhaps a few degrees less). The oceans act as a great moderator. They are a heat sink in summer and they bring heat to the coasts in winter.

I'm just always amazed that this doesn't seem to be taught in schools.
The temperature difference between SF and SJ is huge! One town has water on three sides, while the other is not on water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 01:31 AM

23 posts, read 77,142 times
Capable of many things my wife/gf is very kind and quite smart, and ive done just about every job under the sun, but prefer security work or driving jobs.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:33 AM

no never visited there havnt traveled alot really, but wouldnt mind trying it out at all.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:35 AM

not alot of research really but i love nature animals and all things natural, like ive said i have a varied skill set.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:14 AM

10,561 posts, read 7,763,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemel1969 View Post
Hi My name is Lee Melanson Seriously thinking about moving to Alaska, but have questions and doubts and fears about the weather the wildlife and the Way of life out there can soembody help me make the wisest choice as to where i and my family might want to relocate to in Alaska?

Thank you in advance for your time and comments
SE has warmest average year round temperatures. That said, this average ain't very warm. I believe Juneau's is 40, though you can probably add at least a couple to that with the warming over the past few decades.

Winter two years ago in SE it hardly froze at all, while this winter has seen a lot of cold weather.

Ketchikan or Juneau, unless you want a REAL small community. On second thought, consider Sitka too.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:46 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
You've got it. Continental interiors have wider variations in temperatures: higher highs and lower lows. Mongolia is a perfect example of this.

Coastal areas tend to moderate toward a consistent average with fewer wild swings. A case in point is that Minneapolis is colder in winter than Anchorage despite Anchorage being about 1,100 miles farther north, but Minnesota gets baked in summer just as much as Oklahoma or Kansas does (though perhaps a few degrees less). The oceans act as a great moderator. They are a heat sink in summer and they bring heat to the coasts in winter.

I'm just always amazed that this doesn't seem to be taught in schools.
Really, only certain regions of Minnesota gets baked. Interior southern and central Minnesota get baked (although relatively speaking, not really). People seem to forget about the 10% of fresh water abutting the state to the east (Lake Superior). The Arrowhead region experiences some of the mildest summer temperatures in the country. Duluth and Seattle have the same July average high despite the Pudget Sound being upstream of the prevailing winds. Lake Superior is so cold and prevalent that it overcomes the prevail hot winds from the landed west.

Old 02-11-2019, 07:51 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
Really, only certain regions of Minnesota gets baked. Interior southern and central Minnesota get baked (although relatively speaking, not really). People seem to forget about the 10% of fresh water abutting the state to the east (Lake Superior). The Arrowhead region experiences some of the mildest summer temperatures in the country. Duluth and Seattle have the same July average high despite the Pudget Sound being upstream of the prevailing winds. Lake Superior is so cold and prevalent that it overcomes the prevail hot winds from the landed west.
Minnesota, eh? No thanks. That place is a lost cause.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:00 AM

73,022 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Minnesota, eh? No thanks. That place is a lost cause.
I live in Georgia. Minnesota would be a breath of fresh air for me. Minnesota a lost cause? I'm guessing you haven't been around parts of Georgia. Georgia is growing fast, but it's also got alot of problems too. Much higher crime rate than Minnesota.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:04 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,693,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I live in Georgia. Minnesota would be a breath of fresh air for me. Minnesota a lost cause? I'm guessing you haven't been around parts of Georgia. Georgia is growing fast, but it's also got alot of problems too. Much higher crime rate than Minnesota.
I didnt like Mnnesota when I went. I guess we all have different expectations.

Old 02-11-2019, 11:14 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,036,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
I didnt like Mnnesota when I went. I guess we all have different expectations.
You visited Minnesota (a small portion of it or possibly just the Cities?), and from that small encounter, you have concluded that our state is a lost cause. Doesn't that seem a bit harsh? There are a lot of beautiful parts of the state. I think you would change your mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska