Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2019, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 1,718 times

Advertisements

Hi, I posted on the subreddit r/Alaska last night saying that I was wanting to move to Valdez (from out of state) to go to PWSC (since they charge in-state tuition on all students and housing) for my AA and then transfer to UAF to get my teaching degree. I was told that UA was horrible (especially the education programs) and to basically not bother coming to Alaska to go to school as I’d regret it. Is this true? I’ve heard good things about UA before so I was so surprised to hear people talking bad about it that I had to get a second opinion. Also how is the Valdez area? All they kept saying on the subreddit was that Valdez has nothing there and that moving there is practically pointless. I am an American but I live in rural England so I’m use to nothing around so that’s not a problem. I’m more wondering on how the people are (especially towards outsiders) and what are the food options around there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 10:38 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,171,758 times
Google UA and education accreditation.

UAF is a research school. If you finish your AA before 2 years you don’t get instate tuition until 2 years.

I did my SPED degree through UAF and it was ok at times and a lot of hoop jumping at times. I had to perform a student teaching portion after teaching for 9 years.

As an educator, Alaska is about 10 years behind. I’d reconsider taking a certification here in education. Also, there are some major funding issues right now.

As far as Valdez is, I’ve never been. However we almost moved there a year ago. Coming from the bush it was a step up, but the cost/time to get to a major hospital was our deciding factor to not move there. Housing was also an issue.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,718 times
Ok thanks for the reply! I still think I might go to PWSC in Valdez for my AA and then will decide on either just hoping for the best with UAF or transfer to a school somewhere else but I’m leaning on the latter now.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:25 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrait16 View Post
Hi, I posted on the subreddit r/Alaska last night saying that I was wanting to move to Valdez (from out of state) to go to PWSC (since they charge in-state tuition on all students and housing) for my AA and then transfer to UAF to get my teaching degree. I was told that UA was horrible (especially the education programs) and to basically not bother coming to Alaska to go to school as I’d regret it. Is this true? I’ve heard good things about UA before so I was so surprised to hear people talking bad about it that I had to get a second opinion. Also how is the Valdez area? All they kept saying on the subreddit was that Valdez has nothing there and that moving there is practically pointless. I am an American but I live in rural England so I’m use to nothing around so that’s not a problem. I’m more wondering on how the people are (especially towards outsiders) and what are the food options around there?
FWIW, most people I've known got their teaching credentials in the south 48, NOT UA. I agree with what Haole said about them lagging behind.

I know a little bit about Valdez; been in and out of the port several times. What you are hearing is fair, but I don't know about the education aspects or what students say about living there. As already said, UAF is more known for its focus on the biological and geological sciences. Valdez is a pretty place, a marine port and service town for the fishing and oil industries, and more of a jumping off point for activities in Prince William Sound or Chugach mountains. Recreation is primarily about sport fishing, boat tours, guided ice, mountain climbing, some kayaking, so consider whether you are interested in those sorts of activities. Those won't be happening for much of the year due to weather. It is the terminal port for oil from the Trans Alaska Pipeline so there's definitely a heavy industrial presence. Once you've "seen" Valdez, to get to much more of interest you'd need to drive or fly north. Anchorage is a 300 mile drive. Most of the people living there are going to be connected to the oil or fishing/marine industries; either working for them, providing services to them, or transients moving in or out because of them. Housing is definitely going to be a concern as the town is small, compact, with no other communities close by. To get more than the most basic services you will be driving or flying to Anchorage.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:07 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrait16 View Post
I don't know much about the "education" programs, but in my view the space and sciences, including climate, are top notch.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:39 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,105,523 times
OP, I would echo my neighbors' sentiments about UAF. It's a school that's very strong in research and the sciences, specifically geophysics and climate studies.

If you've not yet completed your assignment to google UA education accreditation, below is an article that discusses the subject of concern. Of course, accreditation was lost in Anchorage and not Fairbanks, but if I was a potential student looking at University of Alaska's education program, I would find the whole thing to be unsavory.

https://www.webcenter11.com/content/...508351101.html

Old 05-21-2019, 08:58 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,865,819 times
Generally speaking, teacher training programs are made or broken not so much by the university instruction, but by the practicums that go with them. Wherever you decide to do your training, make sure you make the most of your job shadowing, volunteer hours, and student teaching. If you are assigned a dud make sure you advocate for yourself, or that you glom on to another classroom in your own time. Take on as much responsibility as your supervising teacher will allow you, to get the most authentic (and, frankly, difficult) experience possible - it'll serve you well when you get your own classroom.

That said, don't touch UAA with a ten foot pole for teacher training. UAS caters to students who already have a degree and want to add education credentials. UAF has a stronger positive cachet and is the most respected campus of the three overall.

If you're already going to be resident here for other reasons (personal, work, family, etc.) I wouldn't bother looking out of state for a better program, as the UA programs will get you a licence and a job in Alaska just fine, but I wouldn't move to Alaska in order to get a degree and credentials in education. There are other places with better programs at better prices.

Be careful about getting good counseling on how your AA credits will contribute to your BA/BS program, so you don't waste your time with classes that won't transfer or aren't required for an ed major.

I love Valdez but it's definitely not the average person's barrel of monkeys. You should try to visit before you commit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska