Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2019, 06:02 PM

6,400 posts, read 5,039,755 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to fly out to Anchorage in late September-ish, maybe Labor Day weekend (or not, to save on flights), just to get a taste of the state. I'll probably take 3-4 days there - I'm saving vacation time for a longer trip abroad in the near future.

What I'm looking for is anything that offers the feeling of extreme remoteness - like, you can look a really long distance and see no signs of human civilization. And I don't really want to spend hundreds of bucks for a flight to Nome or Utqiagvik or Whitehorse.

Currently I'm planning to rent a car and drive up to Fairbanks - I was looking into Yukon but it looks like the only way there is on a gravel road. I would really love to see the Aleutian Islands but I doubt there's an affordable way to get there.

So are there any particularly scenic remote drives you would recommend? Also, how much of a danger is the wildlife if you're driving in September during the day? What about at night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2019, 11:34 PM

23,379 posts, read 18,993,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I'm planning to fly out to Anchorage in late September-ish, maybe Labor Day weekend (or not, to save on flights), just to get a taste of the state. I'll probably take 3-4 days there - I'm saving vacation time for a longer trip abroad in the near future.

What I'm looking for is anything that offers the feeling of extreme remoteness - like, you can look a really long distance and see no signs of human civilization. And I don't really want to spend hundreds of bucks for a flight to Nome or Utqiagvik or Whitehorse.

Currently I'm planning to rent a car and drive up to Fairbanks - I was looking into Yukon but it looks like the only way there is on a gravel road. I would really love to see the Aleutian Islands but I doubt there's an affordable way to get there.

So are there any particularly scenic remote drives you would recommend? Also, how much of a danger is the wildlife if you're driving in September during the day? What about at night?
Get a copy of the latest Milepost magazine. It has the best information about where to go and what to expect when touring AK.

First off, that late in the year some destinations/attractions/lodging options will be closed. Labor Day is often the end of their tourist season. The weather starts to be a problem...not cold so much, but rainy and foggy. Vistas of the big mountains will probably be hit or miss. But, deciduous trees and tundra will be starting to turn color, big critters like moose, caribou, bears will be glossy and fat, have antlers, and the bugs will be dwindling down. Animals will be moving in preparation for winter and they will be crossing roads at any time. OK, during the day you will spot them sooner, but driving at night isn't a great idea. Most areas don't have any sort of lighting along roads. Moose and caribou bulls will be ready to breed and a lot less tolerant of disturbance. Give them a lot of space! Bears will be concentrating on salmon streams, packing on the last of their fat store for winter. You definitely need to pay attention at dusk, and be aware the days are getting shorter fast. Do some reading about day length as it will limit what you can realistically do.

Realize that the majority of roads leading anywhere near "remoteness" are going to be gravel. Heads up: check with the company you rent the car from...some will void your contract if you take their vehicle off pavement. OK, they may not know if you do, but if you sustain any damage (like a rock chip in the windshield) you may be held responsible for repairs. The access roads to the big iconic parks are gravel.

There are many options to see the state, but without flying anywhere it will limit you quite a bit and the weather could shut you down anyway. I haven't driven much of the Interior, but one option could be the Dalton Hwy north out of Fairbanks. It is paved part of the way. You may want a different rental vehicle for that; one with extra mounted tires, beefier, with the ability to listen to and communicate with North Slope freight haulers. They have the ROW. The road passes through a huge cross section of the northern half of the state and you will see "remoteness" on either side. Some places you'll pass near the Alaska oil pipeline which is interesting. The area around Coldfoot and over Atigun Pass is beautiful. Once you've crossed the Brooks you'll see huge tundra coated glacial valleys north of the treeline. Depending how far you decide to go you can see caribou all along the roadsides and will start to see the iconic arctic tundra with all its lakes and ponds. May spot some muskox along the road too. I've driven it and really enjoyed it. Check out the touring outfitters in Fairbanks for more info about the logistics.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-19-2019 at 11:43 PM..

Old 08-20-2019, 12:15 AM

2,993 posts, read 4,315,119 times
You'll waste two full days of drive time on your 3-4 day trip just driving to and from Fairbanks. Fairbanks has an international airport and tickets are usually only about $100 more than flying into Anchorage from any given city. Sometimes (rarely) they can even be cheaper. Something to think about.

Or stick with the plan of flying into Anchorage and do the road system "loop" up the parks highway to Fairbanks, down the Richardson highway to glenallen, then the Glenn highway back to Anchorage. 3-4 days would give you a little bit of time for stops and side drives.

Any Alaska highway a decent way outside of town has a remote feel to it. Every highway is very scenic in places although I personally prefer the Glenn and Richardson highway drive and scenery to Fairbanks over the Parks highway, which is still amazing in places.

If you want to feel really remote, just walk a mile off the highway in an area that's not private property. There won't be too many people around.

A super cheap trip to Alaska is hard due to high prices up here, lodging being your main one. You won't be paying peak summer prices but $100+ for a possibly not so nice hotel room should be expected. Probably even more like $150+ depending on your tastes.

Good luck

Last edited by 6.7traveler; 08-20-2019 at 01:14 AM..

Old 08-20-2019, 07:44 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,530,084 times
Fly into Fairbanks and drive the Dalton highway a ways. You can do a pretty reasonable hike off the highway to the edge of ANWR if you wanted (good with a map and compass?). You don't need to walk too far off the highway to feel very isolated. Only certain rental places allow their vehicles on the gravel roads by the way.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:41 AM

2,795 posts, read 5,625,120 times
Here's a twist... Fly into Petersburg and spend your time there. Quiet, remote, relaxing.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:40 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,176,573 times
Just remember that you will be visiting during moose and caribou season. Your hikes off roads might be a little dangerous or a little more crowded than normal.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:01 AM

2,075 posts, read 1,687,797 times
Be willing to hike. Seriously. Go to Anchorage, rent a car and go hiking in Chugach State Park or National Forest.

Old 08-21-2019, 11:40 AM

23,379 posts, read 18,993,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haolejohn View Post
Just remember that you will be visiting during moose and caribou season. Your hikes off roads might be a little dangerous or a little more crowded than normal.
VERY good point! OP, bring a bright (like red - orange) jacket or shirt and hat if you're going to hike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska