Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2020, 01:07 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyer View Post
I wasn't posting in response specifically to you, if anything, it was in reaction to a couple of the first few posts in the thread.

My "injecting" national politics in this thread is simply labeling what is already here, a complaint about Californians and their politics. The people who are leaving California in response to perceived politics are not liberals, to claim so is simply ridiculous, and if one leaves because one is disgusted by the politics of the jurisdiction, then you aren't likely moderate in your political thinking either left or right wing, which means when you arrive at your new destination, you are more likely than not going to stand out in this regard. My place here in NV is a perfect example. We live on a parcel surrounded by land that was all owned by my wife's family back in the day, before they subdivided and sold all but a few parcels they kept in the family. Neighbors who bought in were locals or at least people who moved up from Vegas or over from Douglas or Washoe counties. Now, every single homeowner on this long road who aren't related to us, moved here from southern California, built gates often adorned with Gadsden flags and "Protected by Smith and Wesson", and ignore their neighbors. They spend their free time harassing local planning commission and park board members and writing angry letters about 1. the state of our gravel road here, and 2. taxes It really is remarkable how fast things changed here in our little spot.

When I lived in Alaska full time for over a decade, I saw it happening in your general neck of the woods (Healy, North Pole) as well as in the MatSu. Arktikos has it right, Alaska has just become more politically conservative as more outsiders move there, not less, and the political well has been poisoned there recently. Just look at the SE vs Interior dynamic which keeps getting increasingly worse.
I have lived in Alaska full time for over 35 years, and have seen the changes taking place. Back in the 70's there was a sort of political "independent" movement, but as with a lot of other solid blue states, Alaska is gradually turning red. The same has been happening to Idaho, Oregon, and Texas.

As another person posted on this thread about Californians moving to Alaska, "resistance is futile." He was right, although people moving to Alaska aren't just Californians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2020, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
The OP's "question" was about Californians. The thread title is literally "Californians?". The topic is about Californians moving to Alaska. I read your opinion on the matter, but it doesn't invalidate my point about the numbers.

So where are all these supposed liberals coming from? which states? I posted actual data. Assuming population stays static in Alaska (it doesn't but whatever), your state isn't a popular landing spot for most of the U.S. nor Californians in particular. You get about the same number annually from Texas. Given those numbers, how is it these liberals --assuming they all are and ignoring what that term even means-- changing the political landscape of Alaska? It sounds like you don't want to consider that question. It would take substantially greater immigration from all the other 49 states for there to even be enough numbers of people to shift things politically. You're concerned that liberals are going to move there and raise taxes and I asked if you could point to an example of that happening. I didn't see an answer. Is it because you realize it's far-fetched and would take the assistance of fellow Alaskans to elect these people to office in the first place? If so, good on you. Now you see the folly in this.
As i have said numerous times, it is not just Californians moving to Alaska, but people from all the US States.

I am not concerned about anybody, be it conservative, liberal, gay, or straight changing Alaska. Such changes happen gradually to all states. In fact, it even happens within a State. People moving to Alaska come from all the US States, and most have been moving to the Matanuska Susitna area, Wasilla, Palmer, and Anchorage. Even the military forces include personnel from all the US States. How can you possible tell what's happening in Alaska when you don't live here?

If you want to see the number of people moving to Alaska, take a look at the IRS migration databases. But these databases not always include military members.

In relation to taxes, it is a fact that liberals lean toward taxes. You are from CA, so you should already know about all the State and city taxes you are already paying. All those taxes increase the cost of living to the point that residents have to move to neighboring States where the cost of living is lower.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-08-2020 at 01:59 PM..

Old 12-08-2020, 03:50 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,650,286 times
We are going to start paying more taxes in Alaska whether or not any Californians or other "liberals" move here. It in fact is already happening. Why? State revenue from oil is on a steady decline. Our state budget has been in shambles and it only going to get worse. A lot worse, since we've basically depleted our savings account.

The state is already shifting costs to local government. The state is no longer providing money for school bond payments like they said they would and now local governments have to come up with the money. I'm in Anchorage (yeah, that commie, liberal, not Alaska, city) and they've already upped gas and alcohol taxes. Last year the state tried to steal the North Slope Borough property tax money, which had they been successful would have put a world of hurt on their finances.

Despite the claims of many, we can't cut the budget to zero, pay no taxes, and just go about our merry lives. Taxes are coming, Californians or not.

Old 12-08-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
We are going to start paying more taxes in Alaska whether or not any Californians or other "liberals" move here. It in fact is already happening. Why? State revenue from oil is on a steady decline. Our state budget has been in shambles and it only going to get worse. A lot worse, since we've basically depleted our savings account.

The state is already shifting costs to local government. The state is no longer providing money for school bond payments like they said they would and now local governments have to come up with the money. I'm in Anchorage (yeah, that commie, liberal, not Alaska, city) and they've already upped gas and alcohol taxes. Last year the state tried to steal the North Slope Borough property tax money, which had they been successful would have put a world of hurt on their finances.

Despite the claims of many, we can't cut the budget to zero, pay no taxes, and just go about our merry lives. Taxes are coming, Californians or not.
Yes, that's true. You can add city sales taxes on fuel, and other stuff. The Fairbanks already has a fuel tax in place. That said, we can't ignore the fact that Alaska has had a boom and bust economy. We had a bust in the early '80s. Back then I was not affected by it since I was in the military, but a lot of people left Alaska.

Old 12-08-2020, 09:22 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post

+1 can't rep you, but these are just facts.

Old 12-09-2020, 01:31 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
In relation to turning Democrat (blue) from Republican (solid red), Alaska is slowly turning color:
https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-07-3...sve/index.html

However, I have no idea how that relates to conservatism versus liberalism in Alaska. We have senators that ride the fence, some close to the fence, and others red. We also have lots of independent voters that do not have political affiliations. These usually vote on issues that affect their pockets.
If Alaska is voting less red lately, I don't think it's because Alaska is becoming more politically liberal, I think it's because the national Republican party has increasingly diverged from common Alaskan values and needs. Alaskans tend to be the libertarian kind of conservative when it comes to social policies, not the religious right or neoconservative type of social conservative. We also - let's be honest - depend on our national politicians to bring us lots of pork, regardless of their political affiliation, so fiscal austerity is a hard sell here.

Old 12-09-2020, 08:45 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
As i have said numerous times, it is not just Californians moving to Alaska, but people from all the US States.

Hence my question which I've asked twice now (this will be three times); So where are all these supposed liberals coming from? which states? More importantly, who are they?

Quote:
If you want to see the number of people moving to Alaska, take a look at the IRS migration databases.
You mean the links and data which *I* posted? Yeah, I did look at it, hence my question. I gave you the raw numbers. There's barely anyone moving to Alaska annually. The number of Texans moving there rivals California's own contribution and several other states are within the same range. You still won't address the fact that it would take far greater numbers of immigration to be able to alter the political landscape regardless of your guesses about people's political leanings who do move there. If people (liberals) are moving to Alaska from other states and running for office, they aren't winning those seats without the votes of a majority of Alaskans. This is just simple math and it's not unique to Alaska.

I'll ask again if you or anyone else can point to even one example of a person holding office in Alaska today, particularly at the state level, who only moved there within the last few years. Bonus if they came from California. Bigger bonus if they somehow single handedly raised taxes.

Quote:
In relation to taxes, it is a fact that liberals lean toward taxes.
That's not a fact, that's your opinion and a cliche. Facts require some sort of substantiation and the broader the claim, the harder it is to provide.

Last edited by joosoon; 12-09-2020 at 08:55 AM..

Old 12-09-2020, 08:54 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
If it makes anyone feel better, I've never met a person in California who's expressed a desire to relocate to Alaska. And most people I know (and I've lived here all my life so that's a lot) who do relocate out of California, aren't the "liberal" types. Further, the more lefty ones are in fact transplants to California themselves, mostly from the East.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:43 AM

2,383 posts, read 3,100,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
If Alaska is voting less red lately, I don't think it's because Alaska is becoming more politically liberal, I think it's because the national Republican party has increasingly diverged from common Alaskan values and needs. Alaskans tend to be the libertarian kind of conservative when it comes to social policies, not the religious right or neoconservative type of social conservative. We also - let's be honest - depend on our national politicians to bring us lots of pork, regardless of their political affiliation, so fiscal austerity is a hard sell here.
This is very true for me, personally. I am no more liberal than I ever was before; I am just more disappointed in and angry at the people who were supposed to represent me.

Old 12-09-2020, 12:00 PM

1,169 posts, read 749,809 times
Leaving aside seasonal workers in tourism, fisheries etc., the majority of folks who moved to Alaska were oil services workers and miners, and military members who stayed beyond their tour. Sure, plenty others too, but I think these were a significant plurality. Neither of those demographics tend liberal You can't swing a cat in Wasilla without striking someone - or the spouse or child of someone - who works 14/14 or 7/7 up on the North Slope or over on the pipeline somewhere.

I don't know about military trends, but with the downturn in energy production, the numbers of those folks coming have decreased. As a matter of fact, according to the state's own data, Alaska's net population has been decreasing for six years (through 2019.) Decreased birth rates as well as outward migration exceeding immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska