Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:32 AM

5 posts, read 50,014 times

Advertisements

I am in the very very early stages of planning a trip to Alaska for the middle of next summer and was wondering about the budget i'll need for the trip. Does anyone have any input about the cost of lodging (Hotel's, Motel's etc.) in different areas as well as input on "must see" areas and "hot spots" to visit and how much it will cost to get to those areas.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 11:39 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times
My 2 week trip so far has me nearing $10k. But I'm also taking a one week cruise to Whittier from Vancouver.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:41 AM

$10k? Thats more expensive than I can budget or had even expected. I don't plan on taking a cruise. I'll be flying into a major city and then driving around from there.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33Bs View Post
$10k? Thats more expensive than I can budget or had even expected. I don't plan on taking a cruise. I'll be flying into a major city and then driving around from there.
Well then your largest expense will probably be either airfare or renting a vehicle & gas. Rental cars come with unlimited mileage but can get pretty expensive depending on the vehicle class. I'm renting a 4WD Ford Explorer for a week. Renting from a company at the Anchorage airport is going to be more expensive than renting from say Hertz in downtown Anchorage or from a company in Wasilla.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:50 AM

Yeah, thats as I expected. Do you know anything about the general price range of hotels or motels in the cities?

Old 06-01-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Yeah, thats as I expected. Do you know anything about the general price range of hotels or motels in the cities?
I've mainly been doing research in Anchorage & Wasilla. Rooms seem to go from $99/night on up. In Wasilla I was looking at The Grandview Inn & The Best Western Lake Lucille. The BW is running me around $172/night for a lakeview room. They do have less expensive rooms as well. Lucky for me that they decided to tear out their restaurant.

Anchorage has a lot of hotels & motels. We're staying at The Captain Cook foe an evening before we fly back to Hell.
Its quite a bit more spendy than the BW though.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:00 PM

Thats great info, thanks.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:01 PM

warpt, Rance and some of the others can probably be more helpful.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:19 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,686,730 times
Rent a van, campout at the campgrounds that have a shower. Spend the money saved on trinkets and gas.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:21 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,099,857 times
Quote:
Does anyone have any input about the cost of lodging (Hotel's, Motel's etc.) in different areas as well as input on "must see" areas and "hot spots" to visit and how much it will cost to get to those areas.
As Barkingowl mentioned, getting to and getting around Alaska can cost quite a lot of money -- because Alaska is far away, and extremely large to wander around in. A lot of geography to cover, either way.

Every trip I've ever taken to different parts of Alaska I've planned by researching on tripadvisor.com. It's a venue where real travelers tell their real experiences of areas, cities, attractions, accommodations, restaurants, for everywhere in the world. Each category, such as B&B's for example, are ranked by travelers and include current prices as provided to TA.

This link will open on the general Alaska page. Alaska is a very, very big place -- see the graphics below to compare its size to the lower 48. You could spend a couple of months to see everything you might want to see, or narrow down your target locations.
Alaska Tourism - Alaska Vacation Reviews - Alaska Vacations - TripAdvisor
And if you Google tourism Alaska, you'll find a multitude of helpful, official AK state info sites -- quite informative and inviting! -- such as
Travel Alaska - State of Alaska Travel & Vacation Information
and
South East Alaska - Main (http://www.alaskainfo.org/CMS/index.php - broken link)

Whatever kind of budget you plan to use, you can do it. I wish you happy planning! You'll have fun!
Attached Thumbnails
Planning A Trip-alaska-size.gif   Planning A Trip-alaska-vs-texas.gif  

Last edited by allforcats; 06-01-2008 at 01:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska