Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:01 PM

3 posts, read 7,451 times

Advertisements

Not to be redundant because I have read through a bunch of the previous posts but there are a few questions that have yet to be answered and/or asked. There was a girl that asked about whether or not there are any guys up there in kenai or something. My question is geared toward girls. So I was reading about Alaska and saw somewhere that 65% of the women are 'clinically obese'. yikes. Is that true. People tell me "oh the ratio of men to women is like 10 to 1. Women dont like it up there." You know how people are, they dont know what they are talking about. I'll just say it, I mean, of course there are...but are there girls up there? lol

I know that people here in Idaho dont like the massive influx of Californians and other "outsiders" taking up the land and ruining the hunting and so forth. Are you guys like that up there at all? I guess it might be different because the people that move up to Alaska are of a certain caliber, a certain character. I am moving up to Anchorage in March. Just broke up with my girlfriend of like 6 years and need to get away and get back my right mindset. God its going to be great.

Thanks guys (hopefully girls too, lol),
Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 08:28 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,229,634 times
I'd say that "65%" is a gross exaggeration. I see women who are definitely in that category, but no more than the guys up here. Percentage wise, I'd say 25-35%, depending on the area you're in. And I could stand to lose 15 pounds myself.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:57 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
There are women here...just like anywhere...of assorted calibur. If you look for love in all the wrong places...well you know what I mean.
And yes I could lose 15 pounds myself. I think it's a winter thing. That and a desk job.

Old 02-02-2007, 09:04 AM

It is a winter thing. My problem is that I gain 15 pounds in the winter and never seem to get it off. I'm up to 164 pounds, and I normally weigh 150.

In addition to the fact that the dessert bar in every mancamp has to be the most cholesterol-infested bunch of food that man has ever baked.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:26 PM

3 posts, read 7,451 times
Ok, so just as anywhere else, there are girls up there! What about the second half of the question. Do you guys hate that so many people move up there, or is there not an influx of people like there is here. Would I be resented? Ive heard stories here of Californians having trouble finding work and hunting info simply because they slipped and said they were from California. They think it sounds cool to say that, while we hate it. lol. I can only assume that most of the residents are friendly, from what Ive read.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:27 PM

Not true, none of it. I admit that when someone starts to tell me how I should live, I tend to get a little *****ly. Some folks from the west coast have come up here with their own ideas, but try to enforce their lifestyle on a population which views the consumer oriented visions of some Outside communities with some humor. They wind up a little disillusioned.

Personally, some of my best friends up here grew up in CA. I grew up in Chicago. I know people from just about every state here, and all came to find someplace to live as they wanted. Most of us have our own ideas, but we don't force them on our neighbors.

If you come up with this attitude, you'll find some of the best folks on earth, and they'll all be your friend.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:52 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,832,856 times
Amen on that!...I've lived in Sterling all my life. Not many folks left that have been here as long as, or longer than me. Everyone is from somewhere. But everyone I know is here to stay. And some very decent folks for the most part.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:03 PM

28 posts, read 106,799 times
I have lived in alaska and found most people from elsewhere coming to alaska tend to put on a few pounds for the 1st year but look at what it has to offer. The food tastes better the air is fresher. Anchorage though is a huge metropolis with normal big city problems. Get out a ways from the big towns and life is better.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:52 PM

16 posts, read 71,999 times
The women to men ratio is not as apparent as it was during the pipeline days. I grew up in Soldotna and never found "prince charming". I kissed a few toads but the love of my life was in Anchorage waiting. (insert gag here) BTW, I'm female. Some assume I'm a male because of the NHL thing. I have noticed that when I'm in the lower 48, I've seen women that put me to shame in the looks department and they are with men I wouldn't dream of dating so maybe Alaskan women do get the pick of the litter.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:54 PM

16 posts, read 71,999 times
PS: I'm no longer the "compact" I was in high school, but I'm not a "luxury" model either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska