Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 03:41 PM

67 posts, read 229,420 times

Advertisements

Now that the daylight is getting shorter and shorter, my 8 month old is sleeping more and more. Sometimes it seems like he is just completely exhausted. He falls asleep on the floor, in the highchair, everywhere.

Is this a common problem with babies and the darkness? If so, how have you dealt with it?... I'm concerned about how to handle it when it's dark ALL the time.

thanks!

ps. yeah, i know to talk to his pediatrician- I just wanted to hear your experiences, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 04:18 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,321,119 times
It depends on the baby. They get more active as they grow, and need more sleep to recoup. My kids never had any problems with the light/dark thing, and they were born and grew up in AK. Being a baby is hard work, no matter how you cut it. My first one slept about 6-8 hours each night, my second one was awake to eat every couple hours. The only problem was that when he woke up hungry, she woke up too, to see what was going on - then by the time I got her convinced it was okay to go back to sleep, he was awake again. I don't think I got a decent night's sleep for at least 6 months!

Old 11-06-2008, 04:35 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,845,111 times
Right now our daylight is not that much shorter than in the -48, but will be soon. He is probably in a growth spurt, like KariB said and probably is needing more sleep to maintain. Try to keep him on a regular schedule and you should have no problem. I would worry more about a 1 year old wanting to be awake all the time in the summer months, but may be a good idea to check with a local pediatrician.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:25 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
If you are worried about the darkness for the child (or yourself), then leave a light on so it isn't dark, kind of a cheap way of cheating, but it works pretty well. They do have lightbulbs that put out UV if that makes any differerance to you.

But the kid just got out of the oven after about nine months of total darkness, so I wouldn't worry too much about it's sleeping habits.... My kids stayed up all night screaming, but only on the nights I had to work the next morning though....

Old 11-06-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
If you are worried about the darkness for the child (or yourself), then leave a light on so it isn't dark, kind of a cheap way of cheating, but it works pretty well. They do have lightbulbs that put out UV if that makes any differerance to you.

But the kid just got out of the oven after about nine months of total darkness, so I wouldn't worry too much about it's sleeping habits.... My kids stayed up all night screaming, but only on the nights I had to work the next morning though....
LOL - the light is for her, not the baby, he doesn't care or was up all this past summer because light out....no scary baby stories...those could scare anyone....the baby is fine, he has no clue light or dark...yet....it will come and you will know....

Old 11-07-2008, 04:53 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
They've been raising babies in this country for many many moons. It's probably easier on them being born to the amount of darkness in winter, than moving here as a child and having to adjust.
Even tho I moved here when I was 7...I never had any trouble sleeping summer or winter.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:22 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
Hell, I keep thinking the past week or so that it is very late and I'm tired early, too. I notice that I'm going to bed earlier and earlier the past week since I got home from Anchorage. I hate changing the hours, I think Alaska needs to get rid of it!

Old 11-07-2008, 10:16 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,700,653 times
Warpt your just tired from your trip. All that time away from work.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:55 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
That might be the problem! Damn work anyways...

Old 11-08-2008, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Hell, I keep thinking the past week or so that it is very late and I'm tired early, too. I notice that I'm going to bed earlier and earlier the past week since I got home from Anchorage. I hate changing the hours, I think Alaska needs to get rid of it!
That daylight savings thingee... I so agree..throws me off too, no one believes it...Spring is worse....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska