Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:00 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times

Advertisements

Bears like drunk humans. They are easier to catch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 08:08 PM

823 posts, read 1,732,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I screwed then.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:19 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grill God View Post
I screwed then.
Cori - get the policy out....

Old 11-06-2008, 09:39 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,104,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Cori - get the policy out....
I've never put it away

Old 11-06-2008, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandLady View Post
I've never put it away
LOL - better tell him to stay home "grill god" aka "I screwed then" .....

Old 11-06-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNovitsky9 View Post
I was going to stay at a campground in the State park, not the national park.
Don't let us scare you - we are just fun'in...Be smart and be safe and you will be good and have a vacation of a lifetime....

Old 11-06-2008, 10:06 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
That is why you get drunk with a bunch of buddies that are slower than you! Even drunk..... You only have to outcrawl the slowest one in the group...

Old 11-06-2008, 10:08 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,104,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
That is why you get drunk with a bunch of buddies that are slower than you! Even drunk..... You only have to outcrawl the slowest one in the group...
Oh the images...

Old 11-06-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
Yup outcrawl...OMG - need a camera and that is sick, but funny...Sorry Grill God, I will stop now....

Old 11-06-2008, 10:52 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,566,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNovitsky9 View Post
I am planning on coming up to camp at the Denali State Park in June. Is there anything anybody would suggest to me about camping here?
In addition to the "Normal" camping gear you use anywhere in the summer months....

Bring lots of bug dope, they can be a bit of a pest. Some areas of the Park's both the State and National have camping areas that are pretty nice with water and outhouses, but you will find that you can go down to primitive if you want from there.

Don't plan on storing your food in your tent, bring some line and a bag to store it in a tree a bit away from camp. Bears have a really great nose. In the National Park, you have to use "Bear proof" containers to camp in the park though.

Some rain gear and rubber or waterproof boots would do you well too, like a poncho or the like.

In the National Park, if you are going to go out into the "Wild", you are suppose to bring everything you take out... back with you, that includes "Waste" like um.... what you ate. Most don't, and the park guys don't normally go and look for it... well most of them don't....

Quote:
Also, I'm from Michigan, so unfamiliar with some of the Alaska rules...do they allow drinking alcohol at the camp sites in the state park? I know some places allow it and some don't.
There is some "Dry" areas in the state, but for the parks you are looking at, it isn't a problem. What is though, is if you are drunk in public, you may find yourself in "Heartbreak Hotel" if some of the other campers complaint about you running around with only a mosquito head net on screaming about the bugs...

Quote:
Also, would June be a good time to come up? From what I have read, its one of the best times to visit. Any other info people might be able to give would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I like late fall, but some of the park areas are closed by then, but anytime from June though Sept are going to be a pretty nice time to visit, if you like winter camping, that takes a whole different mindset...

Sometimes the pass is closed to Wonder lake in early June, but they normally plow the snow off the roads by then at the higher elevations so you can get though in the early summer months up high.

As a note, you aren't allowed to carry firearms into the National Park, the State Park is the one I don't remember on about guns, but I think you can.

But you can get a small air horn to carry in the event you have a bear encounter, the noise is high and sharp and will hurt their ears and most will run off. Or you can get a commercial bear spray that has pepper in it. I have used that once on Kodiak Island and it worked, but the bear was really PO'd, but it did allow us to walk off while he was flipping boulders all over the place because the pepper was burning his nose and eyes and couldn't see us.... OK, we walked really fast....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska