Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 10:11 PM

4 posts, read 28,322 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Colorado. My Husband, myself and our daughter were born and raised here. My Husband is about to get a job offer we may not be able to turn down ($$$$) as in we are waiting to find out how much they are going to pay him. The job will be in Kenai. My Question is everyone talks about the High cost of everything in Alaska, but is it really that much more then we pay here in Colorado (Arvada) which is also expensive. A cost of living Calc I used said Denver Vs Anc showed only about 2,000-3,000 a year difference. Also if anyone has lived in the Denver area and Anc/Kenai area is the weather really that different besides the much colder temps. Mile High vs Sea level. The air here is dry and it sounds that the air is dry there too. If anyone has spent time in both areas, I would be really thankful for any input.
Thanks
Lisa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2007, 12:13 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
I know the Kenai, but think that Rance (as a resident) has a much better grasp of everything

Old 02-08-2007, 12:36 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
I drove through Colorado once. It was July and to hot for me. I have no idea about the cold weather there...but down here on the Kenai, the temps are just right. Not to hot...not to cold.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:29 PM

30 posts, read 196,273 times
Default I think Kenai...

may actually be more affordable than Anchorage right now and might be one of the more affordable places in Alaska. Nice lots, nice homes for a fair price. It is drier on that part of the peninsula than areas like Seward and Homer...

That's my take anyway...

Old 02-08-2007, 11:43 PM

64 posts, read 424,913 times
I just relocated my family from Colorado Springs to Fairbanks. Granted, we had already lived in Alaska a few year back so it wasn't new.

I hated certain groups in Colorado that pretty much took over and were telling people what to do... that was enough of a reason to return to Alaska.

Don't worry about those calculators and such... it's not like you'll be out shopping every day for stuff you don't need.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:05 AM

23 posts, read 135,804 times
I'm not an alaskan resident, but I do here that Alaska is very humid... They get lots and lots of rain. That will be different from Colorado.... Also mosquitos I here can be pretty bad..... Maybe someone can elobrate on those subjects for her.....

Old 02-09-2007, 09:29 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Southeast is a little more on the damp side...but as far as humidity...this place is nothing like southern Minnesota humidity. Does not even compare.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:30 AM

22 posts, read 193,643 times
Alaska humid? Not really. When it rains it rains then it's over. We very rarely have high humidity. In fact the opposite is closer to the truth. We run a humidifier most of the winter to keep the humidity in the house high enough to be comfortable.

The mosquitos are a pain. If you live in a wooded area or near a pond it is much worse than if you live in town. The solution is getting a mosquito magnet. They have them at Home Depot type stores and they really do work, especially if you get them running before the mosquitos really come out in the spring. The spray pesticides that you attach to a garden hose work well also. They keep the mosquito population down for about a month after use, and don't have ill effects on pets (or kids)

Old 02-09-2007, 03:01 PM

2 posts, read 19,106 times
Just to let you know, I posted a reply to your post on the Colorado Forum

Old 02-11-2007, 11:22 PM

4 posts, read 28,322 times
Thank everyone for your info, it is very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska