Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:15 AM

395 posts, read 1,716,350 times

Advertisements

Hi Star', Can U give me some detail of the circulating heater? I am not familiar with the device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 01:46 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,560,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMFEB31 View Post
Hi Star', Can U give me some detail of the circulating heater? I am not familiar with the device.

The tank heater (circulation heater) mounts outside the engine at or below the bottom of the block level, one hose goes from a drain in the bottom of the engine block and the top hose fitting goes to the top of the block, most of the time it routes in though the heater hose to the cab. The heating element is inside and there is a check ball that when the water gets hot it "Perks" like a coffee pot did in the "Olden days" and the check ball moves on the bottom to allow a fresh shot of cooler water in to repeat the process. There is a thermostatic switch in the top that once the cooler water coming in reaches a certain temp, it shuts off the heater.

ZeroStart Tank-type Engine Heaters : JC Whitney: Car Parts & Accessories (http://www.jcwhitney.com/ZEROSTART-TANK-TYPE-ENGINE-HEATERS/GP_2000837_N_111+10214+600010779_10114.jcw - broken link)

http://www.jcwhitney.com/wcsstore/jcwhitney/images/imagecache/G_10837G_SW_1.jpg;pv2e061fe583affce8 (broken link)

Freeze plug heaters like the one below don't have any control on temps, they just put out a low heat all the time.

While we find your parts, please enter your ZIP Code at PartsAmerica.com

To install either heater for the first time, you will need to drain the cooling system and then refill it to the proper coolant/water mix for the temps you will be expecting to run it. Straight unmixed antifreeze will freeze without water, a 60/40 mix (antifreeze/water) will take you down to about -60 or so.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:46 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
I use this particular brand:

Block heater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amazon.com: Kats 12050 500 Watt External Tank Heater: Automotive

Old 12-04-2008, 04:06 PM

8 posts, read 22,727 times
Default What watt..

I have a 4cyl Toyota. I'm thinking about putting one of these on. I have 3 heaters on it now (battery, block, pan) and the 4runner is still a pain to start at anything below 0. I don't think all or maybe any of the heaters are working. I plug them for a hour or more and touch around the engine and I can't feel anything warm.

Anyhow, I'm thinking this is the ticket. I can install it myself and it seems to do the same thing that all my other heaters do. Plus with the thermostat it will save me a little $ by shutting off when it's warm.

My question is this. At JC Whitney there are three choices.

750 watt will heat a 4cyl engine in 2 hours
1000 watt will heat a v6 engine in 2 hours
1500 watt will heat a v8 engine in 2 hours

Seems to be the best would be to buy the biggest.... so it heats faster and turns off quicker....

Do you think there would be a problem with putting a 1500 on a 4cyl?

Old 12-04-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakayaq View Post
I have a 4cyl Toyota. I'm thinking about putting one of these on. I have 3 heaters on it now (battery, block, pan) and the 4runner is still a pain to start at anything below 0. I don't think all or maybe any of the heaters are working. I plug them for a hour or more and touch around the engine and I can't feel anything warm.

Anyhow, I'm thinking this is the ticket. I can install it myself and it seems to do the same thing that all my other heaters do. Plus with the thermostat it will save me a little $ by shutting off when it's warm.

My question is this. At JC Whitney there are three choices.

750 watt will heat a 4cyl engine in 2 hours
1000 watt will heat a v6 engine in 2 hours
1500 watt will heat a v8 engine in 2 hours

Seems to be the best would be to buy the biggest.... so it heats faster and turns off quicker....

Do you think there would be a problem with putting a 1500 on a 4cyl?
No, the bigger one will work fine, you just pay more the power bill at the end of the month. I use one on my Thiokol Track rig and it has a V-four cylinder Ford engine in it and it heats it up really quickly, but the 1000 watt will work well too.

I would bet that the freeze plug heater element has burnt out and that is why your engine is hard to start, they only last a few years and then start getting to where they burn out and need replacement. In either event you will have to drain the anti-freeze out to replace or install the new systems.

At least with the circ heaters, you can grab the hose and see if it is getting warm after a few min's of being plugged in, where the freeze plug heaters are a bit harder to check, you can hear a Sizzling after a bit on some installs that will let you know if it is working.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:20 PM

8 posts, read 22,727 times
Thanks for the help.

Any major differences between the two shown in this thread? NAPA carries the KATS one for about $70 and they are the only game in town. If I want the other one I'll have to order it and with shipping it'll be about the same.

I did a little calculation.. assuming the unit ran continuasly for 2 hours a day and the thermostate didn't cut off at all. Using an electricity cost calculator it looks like the difference between the 1000 and the 1500 here in Bethel would be about 7 dollars a month. However, it seems logical that a 1500 watt heater would reach a warm temperature faster and cut off sooner so the cost may be closer than it looks on paper.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:59 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Click on the amazon link. That unit is going for just over 24 bucks.

Old 12-05-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakayaq View Post
Thanks for the help.

Any major differences between the two shown in this thread? NAPA carries the KATS one for about $70 and they are the only game in town. If I want the other one I'll have to order it and with shipping it'll be about the same.

I did a little calculation.. assuming the unit ran continuasly for 2 hours a day and the thermostate didn't cut off at all. Using an electricity cost calculator it looks like the difference between the 1000 and the 1500 here in Bethel would be about 7 dollars a month. However, it seems logical that a 1500 watt heater would reach a warm temperature faster and cut off sooner so the cost may be closer than it looks on paper.
Rance is right though, there are cheaper places than Napa in Bethel, just easy to go in and pick one up there.

As far as the manufactures of them, there is a number of companies that make the heaters, any of which will do you just fine.

Oh, and the one good reason for getting a bigger heater for your ride, is that in Bethel when it is cold, the wind can really blow and that wind chill can keep the engine from getting warm with the smaller heater.

Good luck!

Old 09-20-2014, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,424 times
Is there any way to plug your bike overnight to keep it warm

Old 09-20-2014, 09:32 PM

96 posts, read 257,045 times
First of all, there is no such thing as a headbolt heater any more. There are engine block heaters though. If you would like to prolong the life or your diesel engine, it should be plugged for several hours if it is around 0, colder than that I would say all night. Especially true in Fairbanks here. Battery blankets are not the best thing to use, a small smart charger is the way to go, 1-2 amps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska