Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 06:39 PM

22 posts, read 101,134 times

Advertisements

i hope this question to you doesnt seem as stupid as the questions i have been getting about moving to alaska (do they live in igloos, do they use US dollars, etc) but....what do i wear to work?? i will be working in a school and im thinking, well am i going to wear my snow boots to work or what i would normally wear (pumps, or something with a heel.) whats your normal professional wardrobe like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 06:51 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,123,667 times
Yes, in the winter we all live in Igloos. Some people have three story mansions made of snow. In the summer though, we move into sod houses underground. As for work wear, we use mukluks year round. My mom makes rainpants out of dried seal intestines, they fend off the water very good. In the winter I use a beaver pelt hat and in the summer I use a hat made from muskoxen fur. Hope this helps. I'm going to go cook some walrus up now, have a great evening!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:00 PM

thanks

Old 12-04-2008, 07:11 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
Not trying to be funny or anything. But many of us wear XtraTufs year round. Now I do have some of the low cuts for dress up and special occasions. I know regular people that carry dress shoes in thier backpacks and change once they get to work. It just seems like a waste of time to me....

Mens XTRATUF 16" Steel Toe Neoprene Safety Boots

Old 12-04-2008, 07:27 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Not trying to be funny or anything. But many of us wear XtraTufs year round. Now I do have some of the low cuts for dress up and special occasions. I know regular people that carry dress shoes in thier backpacks and change once they get to work. It just seems like a waste of time to me....

Mens XTRATUF 16" Steel Toe Neoprene Safety Boots
lol, sorry I found your post hilarious.

---

Just wear whatever you would normally wear, unless you plan on hiking to the school, you don't have to worry what type of shoes you wear or what jacket to wear.

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=79590&rendTypeId=4 (broken link)

Old 12-04-2008, 07:34 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Wear your snow boots (pack boots?) on your way to work and back, and wear whatever shoes are more comfortable to you at work. For example, a lot of students at UAF who decide to walk instead of riding the bus wear winter boots (Sorel pack boots, etc.) on their way to the classroom, and then retrieve comfortable shoes from their backpacks to wear all day. But some other students wear the same shoes in the classroom and out.

And I will tell you a true story that is hard to believe unless you see it with your own eyes: there is a young man at UAF who always wears shorts and walks barefooted, regardless of how cold it is outside. I have seen him walking barefooted at -20. He told me that he has been doing this for 20 years, since he was a child. The only time the cold gives him a hard time is when his feet get wet, and then he walks on the ice, because the soles of his feet stick to the ice and his soles bleed. Otherwise, the cold doesn't seem to affect him at all.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:57 PM

we have a few weeks before moving into our place and i guess my mind is still not grasping the concept of these negative temperatures

Old 12-04-2008, 08:06 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,198 times
I think you will be surprised that it's not as "wild" as you think or most people think for that manner.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:11 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
Not sure how far you are going to be commuting, but if Fairbanks or anywhere else, would want the boots, warm coat or jacket, hat, scarf, gloves, and keep the extra clothing gear in the vehicle in case of emergency...not sure what they wear, but would think casual/dress pants, sweater..and take reasonable shoes like flats until you get an idea what others wear, I think will be way more relaxed...I bought a new pair of heels a few years ago, and still not broken in....I wear slippers at home or flip-flops in the summer....off to clean my igloo and count my shells

Last edited by Grannysroost; 12-04-2008 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: forgot

Old 12-04-2008, 08:17 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,322,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaii718 View Post
we have a few weeks before moving into our place and i guess my mind is still not grasping the concept of these negative temperatures
I used to work in a school, and with a few exceptions like maintenance, etc, most of the staff wore whatever suited the outside conditions and kept a pair of inside shoes at work - or at least in the teacher's lounge. In fact, most of the office workers in general did the same thing. If you wear Sorels all day, your feet do stay nice and toasty, but they are also heavy compared to regular shoes and it takes a period of adjustment. I can also say it wasn't all that unusual to see a woman wearing a mink coat and diamonds right along with Xtra Tuffs, Sorels, or almost any kind of khee boots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska