Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 11:55 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
NPR finally added Alaska in their daily high gas prices. Anchorage turned up highest gas prices in the country this morning.
The funny thing is that the price of fuel is quite low in Anchorage compared to what it is where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 11:59 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Off system is forever going to be higher than the road system.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:33 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Well...she's my wife now...which makes her my ex-girlfriend!

Gas prices are plummeting (well in most places). It looks as though it could fall below $0.00 per gallon by March of next year! What does this mean for life in the US you ask? Well...

New gas powered home appliances will be unveiled including toothbrushes, doorbells, hammers.
The state would introduce a G-Waste program to help you dispose of all that old gas lying around your garage.
The Federal government would impose a "Fun Tax" on gas in an attempt to keep rowdy teens from filling public fountains and lighting them on fire.
In order to one-up the opening of the Bejing Summer Games, London would fill and ignite the Thames so the whole world could experience the awesome power of The Olympic Flamegasm.
Al Gore's head explodes.
Zombie Saddam put back in power to help raise crude oil prices.
Fire-eaters spiral into fire-bingers.
A career in the arsonic arts is not as much a dent in the ole' pocketbook.
Everyone's a huffer!
Premium gasoline will still hover around the 2.9 - 4.9 cents per gallon price range, enraging BMW and Citroen owners.
Convenience stores will make up for the loss of income by raising the price of Super Big Gulps to $4.59.
Firework construction will shift to liquid propellants.
Most energy drinks will include at least a little gasoline.
People will drive huge, luxurious vehicles able to seat 5 or more adults, even when they are just travelling alone.
Rance...I used your chart on my blog. I'm assuming it's yours. I didn't give you credit for it because I don't know your name. I'm assuming you made the chart. If you want me to take it down I will. It's on this post here. I got a kick out of it.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:38 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,129,609 times
Pssst Marty, his name is.....Rance.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:09 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,033,517 times
Thank you warpt...

Old 12-09-2008, 07:04 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The money "they gave away" was our money. Such moneys, in this case "Energy Rebate" was a good thing wherever fuels (heating, gasoline, etc.) were the most expensive at the time. My wife and I used ours to fill a 500-gallon heating fuel tank, and I am certain that a lot of families in the interior and in the bush also used their money on things they needed. The bottom line is that this rebate went right back into the AK economy..
Actually, this is why I disagreed with the "rebate". Because they distributed it as taxable income, in essence they only gave about two thirds of it to you (depending on tax brackets of course), one third was given to Uncle Sam to waste. This was revenue generate by our non-renewable resources. Had it been used for something in-state such as a real capital improvement project to benefit all of us, you are correct, it would have gone right back into the AK economy. As it stands though, on April 15, 1/3 to 1/4 is going into the federal coffers, probably to be given away as a bailout to some undeserving (and un-Alaskan) group.

Quote:
The way I see it, if the legislature keeps the money they will waste it on pay raises, and on pork. For example, building "nature" trails, bicycle trails around Los Anchorage, parks, and such. But if the give me my portion, I put it to good use instead.
That however goes back to the issue of whether they should have collected the money in the first place. But that's a whole other argument !

Old 12-09-2008, 07:23 PM

905 posts, read 2,401,048 times
Come on 50 cent a gallon gas!!! Hey I can wish can't I? It has felt much better not putting 60+ dollars to fill up, and not have it last a week. And it to think it only took a complete meltdown of the US economy for it to happen, why didn't we think of that earlier!?

Old 12-09-2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfectedMushroom View Post
Come on 50 cent a gallon gas!!! Hey I can wish can't I? It has felt much better not putting 60+ dollars to fill up, and not have it last a week. And it to think it only took a complete meltdown of the US economy for it to happen, why didn't we think of that earlier!?
It's still around $2.48 (regular unleaded) in Fairbanks.
----------

Moose Whisperer: We can't get away from federal taxes, as you can see with the Permanent Fund. Even my tool allowance rebate at work is federally taxed.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:46 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,382,832 times
Quote:
As most of us already know, the Alaska's economy depends on the price of oil. For the past few years, Alaska has made a lot of money, and this is reflected in the budget surplus. But when the price of oil (per barrel) drops below $80.00, then Alaska has to dip into its savings. Oil has dropped to under $40.00 per barrel lately, and if it continues this way the budget will go from black to red within two or three years. Luckily the governor and legislature decided to put money away instead of spending it.

This is a good article about how important oil is to Alaska:
newsminer.com • Oil prices drop to $35.61 as Alaska prepares to update revenue forecast
The lower the better ...remember McCain and Palin's message..."Country First, not State First" lol.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:03 PM

Default Another article on the same subject

However, this one offers more details on the price of oil and the difference it makes on projected budgets:
newsminer.com • Volatile oil prices pinch Alaska budget
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska