Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 09:17 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times

Advertisements

We're a good sounding board for questions &/or concerns or even just for passing the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 09:21 PM

5 posts, read 14,233 times
Is there a credit union in Wasilla that has a good rep? :-)

Old 12-29-2008, 09:22 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
We joined up with Alaska USA. They seem to be darn good so far.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:19 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quiet_R, this move is traumatic with the most planning...something always happens, Murphy's law....just breath deep and start, not sure where you are at packing-wise....but just plug away and pack what you really, want need first...might want storage, but if military, not to worry as they will do the nasty work, just clean out stuff you know you don't need....as they should move you...relax and let go...like said before, keep things with you you will need right away....kid papers, pet papers if any....then your job will start here with getting kids in school,..... I think you have a very supportive community up there....you will be fine

Old 12-29-2008, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,910 times
Dear Quiet:
I just vacationed this past summer in ALASKA - I came home & got all my stuff together, rummaged most of it all off got things in order--cuz I'm empty nesting for the 1st time in 23 years & told my family Bon Voyage ! I'm off to pursue my dream of the experience of living in Alaska. I've always wanted to since I was a little girl & learned about AK. I never shared that dream with anyone till this trip to AK confirmed for me & I finally told my family. My kids were not too pleased as I chose to go by myself--thats part of the adventure I explained to my brother ! They all think I'm nuts--but AK is a road I want to go down in lifes journey ! I am so excited for you !!! wish we could be neighbors !! As you can see by those on this site friendly & "their for you" kind of attitude is what I found in AK. Everywhere I went ...people were genuinly good ! I think everyone there takes care of everyone...the good neighbor syndrome!!! I'm heading for Anchorage ! We will be close enough to be neighbors too !! Wasilla is neat I've been there too ! Praise the Lord for helping you go "HOME" AK is heaven on Earth !! Blessings to you !

Old 12-30-2008, 12:12 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Ann aka Mama Bear View Post
Dear Quiet:
I just vacationed this past summer in ALASKA - I came home & got all my stuff together, rummaged most of it all off got things in order--cuz I'm empty nesting for the 1st time in 23 years & told my family Bon Voyage ! I'm off to pursue my dream of the experience of living in Alaska. I've always wanted to since I was a little girl & learned about AK. I never shared that dream with anyone till this trip to AK confirmed for me & I finally told my family. My kids were not too pleased as I chose to go by myself--thats part of the adventure I explained to my brother ! They all think I'm nuts--but AK is a road I want to go down in lifes journey ! I am so excited for you !!! wish we could be neighbors !! As you can see by those on this site friendly & "their for you" kind of attitude is what I found in AK. Everywhere I went ...people were genuinly good ! I think everyone there takes care of everyone...the good neighbor syndrome!!! I'm heading for Anchorage ! We will be close enough to be neighbors too !! Wasilla is neat I've been there too ! Praise the Lord for helping you go "HOME" AK is heaven on Earth !! Blessings to you !
Trust me, after the family watches and waits for a while, they will probably be knocking down your doors,...I now have a brother trying to figure out what to do with my mother and stepdad, so he can up here for the ultimate adventure, but he has always been avid fishing,hunting,trapping forever....so will end up with him, mother, stepdad...life is good....

Old 12-30-2008, 12:40 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
Might want to think about adding on to the house Deb.

Old 12-31-2008, 04:25 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,944,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Ann aka Mama Bear View Post
Dear Quiet:
I think we were separated at birth! My kids flip flop between wanting to join me and trying to convince me I'm nuts.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:56 PM

5 posts, read 14,233 times
My husband and I have decided to wait until Spring...we have to sell this house first as I don't think I can deal with floating two mortgages. We are very disappointed as we love the house we found, but I think waiting 4-6 months, is the smartest thing to do. This way we'll be able to make the drive through Canada instead of flying.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:03 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,248,735 times
I have to say you are probably making a very good decision. Having 2 mortgages is a tough thing. Coming up here debit free, is best. That's what we did, waited until we were able to pay off all bills, then headed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska