Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:51 AM

2,397 posts, read 4,701,961 times

Advertisements

Beautiful looking pups Stephanie.

And I second that on your website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 10:13 AM

823 posts, read 1,732,858 times
Cute puppies! No honey you can't have one....

Old 01-01-2009, 12:31 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,217,162 times
Thanks guys. I have a little more tinkering to do with the website and then I am going to upgrade it to a more ligitament name; whispercreekfarms.com .
Yes we board horses Jan and have room for one more if you need it

Dawn, Sophie is so cute and I'm sure she is looking forward to joining her new family.

On another note, we woke up to the New Year this morning with no heat... our line from the tank to the boiler froze, which I didn't think could happen.
Thank goodness we have a good wood stove. I even called the gas stationes and some of their lines are frozen as well.
What is going on?
I'm so sick of this -30!

Old 01-01-2009, 01:14 PM

7,502 posts, read 5,751,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
There are enough unwanted dogs in shelters all over the country, especially this breed. Why would you want to breed for more pups. Are you even aware of this?
I appreciate your concern and drive to make sure that those animals in Shelters get a good home. I know we had two dog's that we got from shelters. One had been brought back three times and was headed for the needle and we took him and gave him a home for 10 years. He was crazy and needed medication but he was part of our family none the less.
The other, well she is like the dog off of Hee Haw.. just lays around and sleeps. As far as the new member of our family, Sophie. We did a lot of research on dog breeds and the wife really liked the Malamute. Their personality matches what we are looking for and they do well in Alaska and its climate. We are looking forward to having her. I guess dogs will continue to be sheltered and individuals will continue to breed them. Along these lines there will always be people, like us, who give sheltered dogs a home and sometimes decide to purchase one. It's nice to have a choice isn't it. So, could you please tempor your message a little bit. Coming here, posting a message with the anger emoticon and dictating is not going to further your cause.

In one or two short sentences you managed to turn the people who you wanted to reach the most off. The message is lost.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:38 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,943,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akvarmit View Post
<------- I'm all excited

We each had our "own" doggies before the move...and my crazy pooch had to stay back in foster care with my mom. He never could have made the trip, his spine is all messed up. So as Crossfire and his dog spend each night on the couch together, we've been tossing around the puppy idea. I guess the timing was just right I'll have to take a bunch of cute puppy pictures!
I'm all excited for you!!!! I love new puppies, though my Bohdan would never let me have another, good thing I guess, or I would have one of each breed! LOL!!

Old 01-01-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
There are enough unwanted dogs in shelters all over the country, especially this breed. Why would you want to breed for more pups. Are you even aware of this?
Hi Blondie, I second Crossfire's point.
I'm sorry if you think I am horrible because we chose to breed our beautiful purebred Malamute. Yes there are alot of dogs in shelters and I understand your point. I too have a rescue Mutt (and a rescue cat) who is the largest pain in the butt animal I have ever oowned, but none the less he is a part of our family, same as our beloved Malamutes.
The problem with the animals in the shelters are not the animals fault but the neglectful owners and backyard breeders trying to make a buck (which an respectful/ethical breeder knows that there is no money in breeding, you have to do it because your heart is in the breed). We always place our pups in loving homes and keep in touch with them. We will also take any of our pups back no questions asked, in an effort to make sure they never end up in a shelter.

Old 01-01-2009, 03:19 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,323,429 times
Quote:
And how many have you rescued from shelters? I've had about 60 dogs in my adult life, mostly in Alaska - though I got 2 new ones from a shelter this summer - and about 90% of them were other people's throw-aways and roadside dumps. Sometimes a person wants what they want, and are willing to pay for it. There's no harm in that, and any and all responsible, ethical breeders will and do take back any dog they've sold if it can't be kept, no questions asked.

If you aren't helping, you are part of the problem.

BTW, DreamChaser, nice site and very cute pups!

Old 01-01-2009, 03:32 PM

Thank you very much Kari!

Old 01-01-2009, 05:20 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,661,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
And how many have you rescued from shelters? I've had about 60 dogs in my adult life, mostly in Alaska - though I got 2 new ones from a shelter this summer - and about 90% of them were other people's throw-aways and roadside dumps. Sometimes a person wants what they want, and are willing to pay for it. There's no harm in that, and any and all responsible, ethical breeders will and do take back any dog they've sold if it can't be kept, no questions asked.

If you aren't helping, you are part of the problem.

BTW, DreamChaser, nice site and very cute pups!
I have been doing animal rescue from kill shelters and adoptions for over 12 years. Breeding just adds to the unwanted dogs in the shelters. Breeders cannot keep track of their pups they place in what they think are good homes....unfortunately not all turn out to be. I rescued at a kill shelter that was always loaded with Malamutes and Huskies, nobody wanted them. Husky rescues would take as many as they could but they are very hard dogs to adopt out. Soooo many end up in pounds that you are not even aware of. What you think is a good home most likely is not in the end. We see it happen all the time. Unless you are involved in rescue you have not a clue what goes on. They are cute pups but when they grow to full adult size they get out of control without the right training, most people will not deal with them and turn them in. Sad to say but true. Sorry is I offended anyone but we have to spay and neuter all pets! Unless you are a showdog enthusiast! And even those people get rid of their older show dogs to keep the new! Most people breed for the money and if they say otherwise they are lying!

Old 01-01-2009, 05:38 PM

4,137 posts, read 9,105,106 times
Although I can empathize, Blondie, with the plight of abandoned pets and would wish to rescue all of them, I have to step in here and say that no...your prior comment directed to Stephanie was not educational. It was a condemnation and one that was not warranted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska