Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:14 AM

140 posts, read 471,296 times

Advertisements

Well I wasn't expecting that from an apt, I guess I was really just saying that it would be really nice in the future... I'm also considering a dorm instead of an apartment, it might be the best idea..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 12:20 PM

7,527 posts, read 5,769,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex2009 View Post
Hey I plan on moving to Alaska for a bunch of reasons...mainly because it's gorgeous and offers many outdoor activities.
Well I need some help...after graduation I would want to go to college in Alaska.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First of all, here are reasons I want to move ( this may be good to work with when picking an area to live in )
- fishing
- hunting
- mountains
- hiking
- outside wild life
- snowboarding + skiing
- kind people ( apparently ) Not apparently, we are
- atv's
- photography
- no state income tax
- no state sales tax
- awesome canoe+kayak areas
- snowmobiling
- great seafood
- amazing restaurants ( or so i heard )
- clean air + water
- motor boats + jet skis
+++ I would be able to do most of the activities within 15-20 minutes of where I live, instead of driving hours...like now. also it's much more popular over there. oh and i'd love to look out my apartment in the morning and see mountains and gorgeous lakes.
I am very much an outdoor person !!!!!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now I need help on picking an area to live in, I looked at Anchorage... it seems very nice but apparently there is a high rate of crime in the area, but if I lived there I would go to college there. I assume there are different areas of Anchorage, some good and some bad.

So for the first part... I ask you to tell me the best place for me to live in while in Alaska, and the best area of that place to live in...the 'cleaner' areas, away from crime.

Secondly, It would be nice to get some ideas of what life is really like in Alaska, what do you do on an average day? Are there many 'fun days'? Are there many late teens and early 20's people around? That'd be a huge plus.

Next, I'd like to know more about how expensive things are, and if there are needed jounalists, state troopers, or regular town officers in the state.

Finally, I would like the area to be compared with crime and prices in New Jersey, specifically the Union County area ( where I currently live ) if it's possible.

I know this is a lot to ask but help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
-Alex
After reading your post I thought of a guy on a snowmobile forum that was from New Jersey who asked me to describe what living here was like. I just thought it was funny that right after I made my post on that forum I see your post here. New Jersey people must be looking to make an exit

Anyway, I can vouch for the snowmachining here. I will tell you this, it is MUCH different that riding back east. There are a lot of trails but they are not marked like back there and when they talk about powder they are talking feet as in 15 feet of powder. If you are really into snowmachining and want to ride powder you are probably going to have to make some mod's to your sled or by a mountain sled when you get up here. Either way, super riding.

The seafood is unbelievable..

Old 01-04-2009, 10:40 PM

49 posts, read 216,266 times
Anchorage is a great place for a young college student wanting access to outdoor activities along with a social life with peers. There are 2 colleges in Anchorage (I attended both of them) UAA and APU. They're both great for different reasons. Feel free to personal-message me if you want more info on those.
I moved here when I was only 20 and I moved into a dorm hall as a college student. I instantly met people who were into the outdoors and I even joined an Outdoor Club at the university - every weekend we when hiking, rock climbing, ice climbing, winter camping, partied, and so on.

Yes there are some areas of Anchorage that aren't as safe as others. There are calmer suburb-type neighborhoods, and then there are more run-down areas. If you were to live in the dorms at either university, you can spend a semester or a year exploring Anchorage to decide where you might fit in.
I've had a love-hate relationship with Anchorage in the decade I've lived here, but overall it's a fun place to be (especially as a young carefree person).

Hope that helps. Ask more questions if you'd like - best of luck!

Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 AM

119 posts, read 387,969 times
Default You can have it all

No need to choose between Anc/Juneau/Fairbanks. Enroll in UAA first, since it will be easiest to adapt to Anc from NJ. Then transfer to Juneau campus or Fairbanks. Your credits will transfer. If only one of the schools has the major you are interested in, go to that school last, as you can get all the general stuff at any of the schools.
Good luck on your Alaskan adventure!

Old 01-20-2009, 11:39 AM

49 posts, read 216,266 times
Default Are you bringing college credits with you?

I agree with AKnana about coming to Anchorage first because it will be easier to "adapt," but I would seriously look into the difference between the 2 universities here in Anchorage regarding transferring credits.

Are you bringing university credits/hours from other universities? I know it's becoming more and more common for high school students to earn college credits while still in high school through "advanced placement" courses. If that's your scenario Please take into consideration this thought: From my OWN experience, UAA can be a LOT more picky about what credits they accept from other universities. I personally found that Alaska Pacific University is a lot more generous when it comes to accepting transfer credits of general education classes (the general subject classes that most colleges require during the first couple years of college). Just something to keep in mind when looking at universities. Either way, you should be able to speak with someone at either Admissions Office to discuss what credits of yours will transfer and what ones will not.

AKnana is right; the University of Alaska system will easily transfer credits within their own system (UAA, UAF, UAS). I'm just bringing up the "Credit Transfer thought" if you are bringing in credits/hours from outside universities.

Hope that helps!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska