Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:19 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,653,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Nice photos kanhawk. By next year, I think that you mean "next year if this year is 2320".

Fairbanks Daily News-Miner - Tanana bridge planned

Here is why new roads rarely get built in Alaska. They are planning a railroad bridge across the Tanana River near where the Salcha River dumps into the Tanana. Cost of just the bridge? $120 million. Hahahaha....anyone know what is on the other side of the Tanana? Not much. Empty shell casings.....moose......

Of course, the plan is to extend the Alaska Railroad, eventually, to Delta Junction for another projected cost of several hundred million. What kind of economy justifies these outlays? What does Delta produce that will bring in that revenue? Didn't they close down the Greely military base? Another $100 million to connect Eielson Air Force base.
One of the few plans for "roads" that actually makes sense, and may someday happen.

It has little to do with Delta Junction or Fort Greely (which is alive and very active these days as a missle launch site). And nothing to do with Eielson AFB which has been connected to the railroad for decades.

The point is to connect the Alaska Railroad to Canada, and thus to the Lower-48. And that may actually have some benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 12:07 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
One of the few plans for "roads" that actually makes sense, and may someday happen.

It has little to do with Delta Junction or Fort Greely (which is alive and very active these days as a missle launch site). And nothing to do with Eielson AFB which has been connected to the railroad for decades.

The point is to connect the Alaska Railroad to Canada, and thus to the Lower-48. And that may actually have some benefit.
They have talked about the RR to the States for years, Stevens was pushing it for a bit, but that kind of went away.

The rail would be a really good deal, more so than most on the books.

But I don't see it happening for a few more lifetimes if at all...

Old 12-23-2009, 04:15 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Quote:
But I don't see it happening for a few more lifetimes if at all...
I think it really depends on the state's future population growth. Alaska still has slightly under 700,000 residents; they could all fit with some room to spare inside of Toledo, Ohio's metro area.

But once that starts getting closer to a million, something like a rail line would make more sense, especially since so much of the population is concentrated in the two regions of Anchorage and Fairbanks.

This also kind of depends on the extent Canada builds new pipeline routes and rail routes into the Yukon and the NWT's natural gas/oil fields. If the area's infrastructure is getting overhauled anyway, the feds may push for some system integration.

Old 12-23-2009, 11:05 PM

6,381 posts, read 14,568,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I think it really depends on the state's future population growth. Alaska still has slightly under 700,000 residents; they could all fit with some room to spare inside of Toledo, Ohio's metro area.

But once that starts getting closer to a million, something like a rail line would make more sense, especially since so much of the population is concentrated in the two regions of Anchorage and Fairbanks.

This also kind of depends on the extent Canada builds new pipeline routes and rail routes into the Yukon and the NWT's natural gas/oil fields. If the area's infrastructure is getting overhauled anyway, the feds may push for some system integration.
"If" they ever built the rail system, it would almost overnight, kill the ocean shipping into the Port of Anchorage and to further points on the road system. The rail would be much cheaper and faster.

Tourism on the rails would go through the roof and we would have people coming to Alaska en mass, not really a good thing once one thinks about it, unless you are in the tourism industry, then I can see one wetting their pants on that one....

Even with our current population (which was only a third of what it is now when I was a kid), would still support the rail system. Almost 100% of all freight to Alaska comes on ships.

Rail would come thru Nenana as it does now from Anchorage, and freight would be shipped down the Tanana River to the Yukon river for further distribution on the river boats.

What will stop the rail's construction is the environmentalist for some endangered mushroom or other critter that nobody had never heard of before, as well as the different land owners that will demand money for it's passage accross their lands. Won't matter if the rail would up the value of their lands either by providing access to them.

Anyway, I wouldn't hold my breath on it at all, if it was going to be built, it should have been done during WWII when they built the AlCan, basically all land needed was taken by the Governments involved and that won't happen again either.... well maybe under this Congress it might be...

Old 12-24-2009, 01:10 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,653,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlite9 View Post
"If" they ever built the rail system, it would almost overnight, kill the ocean shipping into the Port of Anchorage and to further points on the road system. The rail would be much cheaper and faster.
It might be slightly faster and maybe even slightly cheaper. And that is the primary reason it has never been built.

Quote:
Tourism on the rails would go through the roof and we would have people coming to Alaska en mass, not really a good thing once one thinks about it, unless you are in the tourism industry, then I can see one wetting their pants on that one....
That's hilarious. The question is whether they would even have passenger cars on the system at all!

Quote:
Even with our current population (which was only a third of what it is now when I was a kid), would still support the rail system. Almost 100% of all freight to Alaska comes on ships.
Right, and all those cargo planes are empty...

All the heavy freight comes via ship.

Quote:
Rail would come thru Nenana as it does now from Anchorage, and freight would be shipped down the Tanana River to the Yukon river for further distribution on the river boats.
Hence for Nenana and the entire Interior, virtually nothing would change. For Anchorage there would be a noticeable drop in freight going north, but nothing significant.

Quote:
What will stop the rail's construction is the environmentalist for some endangered mushroom or other critter that nobody had never heard of before, as well as the different land owners that will demand money for it's passage accross their lands. Won't matter if the rail would up the value of their lands either by providing access to them.

Anyway, I wouldn't hold my breath on it at all, if it was going to be built, it should have been done during WWII when they built the AlCan, basically all land needed was taken by the Governments involved and that won't happen again either.... well maybe under this Congress it might be...
What stops it are the Republicans in Anchorage.

Hmmm... guess that is sort of like an endangered mushroom, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska