Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 12:16 PM

6 posts, read 8,198 times

Advertisements

Hi All, A question I was born and raised in AK,..... middle name is Iditarod..... I moved a while back to FL and I hate it!!!!!!!!!!! I am comming home, but this time I am driving......I have no clue how to prepair for this! I would lke to make the drive fun for the kids by stoping and seeing some sites on the way. Any sugustion as to a rout and what to see or do on the way there?
P.S. I know all the stuff about cost of living and the cold so no need to put that in. I remember. Miss is so bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 12:23 PM

20,836 posts, read 17,112,746 times
I can only contribute for the Yukon to Anchorage but if you are driving winter carry a sat phone and let people know when you are expected. it is remote and very cold. you do have 4WD right? by the way why do you dislike about FL? just curious never lived there...........

Old 11-29-2009, 12:25 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,145,934 times
You do know you now need a Passport for yourself and the kids to get in and out of Canada, right? If it's just you and the kids, you will need some papers signed by the father saying that it is okay for you to take the kids across the border.

I don't know what a "sugustion" is, can't help you there.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I can only contribute for the Yukon to Anchorage but if you are driving winter carry a sat phone and let people know when you are expected. it is remote and very cold. you do have 4WD right? by the way why do you dislike about FL? just curious never lived there...........

I am going to make the trip in may.....don't like the idea of the ALCAN in winter months. As for FL.....
#1 People here are rude....the southern hospitality thing is a bunch of crap, I think the heat here melts peoples brains and make them crazy!

#2 The heat, need I say more
#3 the bugs...oh the bugs, ticks, fleas, deer flys,ect...
#4 the retired people.... don't take this the wrong way but, It is like they move here and forget how to be polite. Like U owe them somthing cause they are old. My parents are not like this.
#5 I live in north central Fl and there is more farms that beaches so it smells bad and when its hot (and that is all the time) U have to drive over an HR to get to the bech to cool off.
the only good thing here is that U can see a sun rise and set over the ocean all in one day.

Old 11-29-2009, 12:54 PM

There are many options on coming north.

Here is one that covers the mid west states.
from:Gainesville, fl to:I-90 W to:53.363665,-113.735962 to:HWY 2 to:Anchorage, AK - Google Maps

Old 11-29-2009, 12:56 PM

The MILEPOST: Alaska Travel Guide and Trip Planner

How to Drive to Alaska in the Summer - ExploreNorth

Old 11-29-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
You do know you now need a Passport for yourself and the kids to get in and out of Canada, right? If it's just you and the kids, you will need some papers signed by the father saying that it is okay for you to take the kids across the border.

I don't know what a "sugustion" is, can't help you there.
Yup I know that.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:50 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,184,459 times
Don't pay for the expensive coverage on the cell phone driving through Canada and the Yukon it won't work for the most part, meaning at least 90% of the time. Although I did check my XM radio on the truck and it did come in half the time, but I never signed up for coverage. I think I will do it when driving again.

I carried a flare gun for protection. Close range that will work if needed. Although everyone seemed real nice on the road and watched out for eachother was the feeling I got. I filled up at half a tank but didn't really need to, but it did make me feel safer being I hadn't drove it before.
Mile Post that was the best advice that I used from Warptman! It is a long drive but it is all pretty great roads. Allot better then I thought.

What questions do you have??

Old 11-29-2009, 06:53 PM

Listen to NWCountrygal, I taught her well...lol.

Old 11-29-2009, 06:56 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,184,459 times
Yep you did!! Hey I know how if feels to just starting to plan the trip!! Pay it forward for all my questions!!! Although you are the expert!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
View detailed profiles of: