Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:32 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,942,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajadrmin View Post
Not to self...ha.. thank you... But I don't know if I will drink... I am going to have enough issues with not smoking as it is...
Did you get some nicorette gum? It will help! I used to always carry some to get thru times I couldn't go out for a smoke. (Of course I've managed to stay smoke free for almost 2 years now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 05:35 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
By next week Hatcher Pass should be fine. The main roads right now are bare pavement but the side roads are wet, ice. You can hardly stand up on them, let alone drive. But still, we do. Just be careful when you first step out.

I am pretty sure it won't be that bad by next week. The weatherman says it will be a little colder by next week. Right now it's about 40 degrees.

Hatcher Pass will be a little colder and more snow. This time of year it's pretty much just white, but still beautiful on a sunny day.

Extreme Weather

Old 12-01-2009, 05:49 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,942,453 times
Quote:
Pack a bag and come with me...
Wouldn't I just love to!! Of course getting there has never been my challenge, it's the having a job that is my wrench in the works.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:21 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Colder next week means ice under any new snow or just plain black ice. Yuck. I'm just glad to be back in town.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:20 AM

471 posts, read 1,061,998 times
Some things of note:
1) Most rental car companies will put a hold on your credit card for a few days or so... for a lot more than the rental of the car, and then release it back to you. I know they say they will waive your deposit with a round trip ticket, but make sure make sure make sure... that there are no holds going to be placed on a prepaid credit card, because prepaid cards are horrible about giving your money back into your account after a hold. Actually they have issues with the whole "hold" process.
2) As has been said before we now are a cashless cabin, so make sure that you bring the card with you on the flight if you want a meal or a beer. Flying back to Bethel tonight, the girl behind me didn't have a card, and I bought her her 6 dollar bottle of whatever.
3) Please please drive careful. We don't have many women here in Alaska, and even though your not staying, we don't want you to leave until you absolutely have to... but we don't want to you stay with us in our hospitals. We want you to encourage men that there are still people of the other sex alive out there. :P Err and of course I care about your safty. If you feel that you don't feel comfortable driving in a certain area... stop, and wait until conditions improve. Drive like a freken granny if you have to. We are Alaskans, we wont run you off the road, but be curtious as well and pull over if you are holding up people behind you... but don't speed up on their account.
4) I would invite you to come out to Bethel.... But your road trip would be awefully short...

Old 12-02-2009, 08:46 AM

164 posts, read 328,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcoltra View Post
Some things of note:
1) Most rental car companies will put a hold on your credit card for a few days or so... for a lot more than the rental of the car, and then release it back to you. I know they say they will waive your deposit with a round trip ticket, but make sure make sure make sure... that there are no holds going to be placed on a prepaid credit card, because prepaid cards are horrible about giving your money back into your account after a hold. Actually they have issues with the whole "hold" process.
2) As has been said before we now are a cashless cabin, so make sure that you bring the card with you on the flight if you want a meal or a beer. Flying back to Bethel tonight, the girl behind me didn't have a card, and I bought her her 6 dollar bottle of whatever.
3) Please please drive careful. We don't have many women here in Alaska, and even though your not staying, we don't want you to leave until you absolutely have to... but we don't want to you stay with us in our hospitals. We want you to encourage men that there are still people of the other sex alive out there. :P Err and of course I care about your safty. If you feel that you don't feel comfortable driving in a certain area... stop, and wait until conditions improve. Drive like a freken granny if you have to. We are Alaskans, we wont run you off the road, but be curtious as well and pull over if you are holding up people behind you... but don't speed up on their account.
4) I would invite you to come out to Bethel.... But your road trip would be awefully short...
LOL.. Thanks for the advise.. I called the main headquarters and then the Anchorage office for Alamo car rentals and both said there would be no deposit, I made them say it 4 times each.. and I will make sure they hold true, they don't want me to ruin there day I am sure.. cuz if I get up there and they say something different I will blow my top!!
Thanks for the driving tips, here if you drive to slow the people that think ice/snow don't effect them are likely to push you off the road then yell at you for making them late, of course then you get the people that drive 10mph in a light sprinkle.. I can usually hold my own, been driving in bad weather for a looong time, I have just always had a truck or SUV, I have never owned a little tiny car like I am about to rent, I will feel very vulnerable..
And hey.. if I am lucky maybe one of these single men you speak of will like my midwestern county girl charm and sweep me off my feet and I won't ever have to come back to KS again! HAHA.. I couldn't be so lucky..

Old 12-02-2009, 08:54 AM

164 posts, read 328,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Van Diest View Post
By next week Hatcher Pass should be fine. The main roads right now are bare pavement but the side roads are wet, ice. You can hardly stand up on them, let alone drive. But still, we do. Just be careful when you first step out.

I am pretty sure it won't be that bad by next week. The weatherman says it will be a little colder by next week. Right now it's about 40 degrees.

Hatcher Pass will be a little colder and more snow. This time of year it's pretty much just white, but still beautiful on a sunny day.

Extreme Weather

Ha, that little article is kinda funny.. the kids messing with there teacher by hiding in the snow.. funny stuff..

Brings up a question.. in my limited time there I would really like to drive a snowmobile, I have never done that and it would be extremely fun for me, where do I go and about how much does it cost?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:54 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Quote:
LOL.. Thanks for the advise.. I called the main headquarters and then the Anchorage office for Alamo car rentals and both said there would be no deposit, I made them say it 4 times each.. and I will make sure they hold true, they don't want me to ruin there day I am sure.. cuz if I get up there and they say something different I will blow my top!!
Thanks for the driving tips, here if you drive to slow the people that think ice/snow don't effect them are likely to push you off the road then yell at you for making them late, of course then you get the people that drive 10mph in a light sprinkle.. I can usually hold my own, been driving in bad weather for a looong time, I have just always had a truck or SUV, I have never owned a little tiny car like I am about to rent, I will feel very vulnerable..
And hey.. if I am lucky maybe one of these single men you speak of will like my midwestern county girl charm and sweep me off my feet and I won't ever have to come back to KS again! HAHA.. I couldn't be so lucky..

You can expect the same type of driving up here. Matter of fact it's amazing the pick-ups and SUV's that end up as ditchdivers.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:53 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,363,389 times
Quote:
. in my limited time there I would really like to drive a snowmobile, I have never done that and it would be extremely fun for me, where do I go and about how much does it cost?
Hubby has one, but he was waiting for a bit more snow. The local guys have been out on the easements by the house, but we still have a bunch of rocks showing. Cross your fingers for snow and maybe

Old 12-02-2009, 01:05 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
Enjoy your trip OP and be safe! Be sure to come back here upon your return and tell us all about your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska