Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 07:26 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times

Advertisements

Do they still allow children in the Hill Bar these days? I went there a couple of times a couple of decades ago and it was gross to see little kids playing on the floor while one or both parents sat at the bar. Once I saw a baby in a little carseat thing on a table where four adults were sitting. They were all smoking cigs and pounding down the booze.

One of the best things, though, to happen to both Craig and Klawock in the last few years is that some teachers have actually come and stayed, made lives there, whatever. The teaching staff used to be very transitory; recent grads would come up and put in about a year or even less in some cases.

One thing I never could get past, though, was that janitor in the Klawock school who is married to a teacher. They caught him red handed with a little video camera set up in the girls' locker room, and allowed him to remain employed there. This was maybe twenty years ago.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 04-24-2008 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 11:37 AM

11 posts, read 74,779 times
I know this is an old thread, however, I was wondering if you or anyone else knew of preschools on POW. In addition, for someone moving to the island who would definitely be a newbie... any advice where to start in looking for current housing - ideally a two bedroom at least? Although, we can squeeze - 2 toddlers, 1 preschooler. Last summer I had written and received so much wonderful advice regarding the area and this summer we are considering making the move. Likely we would be moving in August based on the fact there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of housing options - with even less in the summer. I'd be working in Klawock and we would be limited to one vehicle. While I'm asking for advice... any suggestions on the cheapest way to move to POW from the east coast? If we chose just to bring ourselves... how easy and expensive is it to find beds, TV's, etc.?

Old 05-24-2008, 11:44 AM

273 posts, read 587,842 times
You definitely need a copy of the Island News. If you want to email to me your address, I'll be happy to send one to you. Don't worry, I'm really not a weirdo

Old 05-30-2008, 03:51 PM

959 posts, read 2,361,636 times
I'd be happy to share some thoughts with you; I live in Craig and am pretty familiar with all of POW. If you would like some info that I can provide, shoot me a PM or post again; I'll post back. Was on a wilderness trip for a few days so I missed some good threads on here! Man, what awesome weather and a beautiful time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska