Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 07:45 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times

Advertisements

Well...I think it's been established that none of us are going to let the OP live on our land for free. Personally I'd be worried about the liabilities and the legalities involved. Someone offered some good advice a few pages back; the OP should start small and build from there.

On one hand I think that if someone wants to exchange labor for room and board they should be free to do so; on the other hand I think that that scenario has way too much room for exploitation, particularly in economic times such as these. I honestly don't know how I'd look myself in the eye in the mirror in the morning if I tried to pull something like that off. We've given seasonal employees in a bind a place to stay and charged them nothing for it, doesn't cost us anything and we won't let anyone go hungry.

Sounds like the person who did that got what he wanted from the situation and it worked out okay....but...nothing that that will be happening around our place. Working people deserve better than that.

When my son was living/traveling around Europe, he stayed for a time at a farm in Northern Italy that offered free room and board in exchange for four hours work a day, and they had a two week time limit.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-21-2010 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Why should anyone in their right mind let you homestead on their land for FREE ! When you start starving or run out of clean clothes do you expect free food and laundry service too.
You need to start living in the real world. Go to freaking work and earn your own land. Crikey and I thought I've heard it all then I see this post.
Oh by the way welcome to the forum !
This is the way it could go: I let somebody homestead in my land, and a few years later the homesteaders have a right to the land I let them homestead in.

I agree with you.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:04 PM

1,275 posts, read 3,414,121 times
I have not had time to read thru the whole thread so excuse me if I'm being redundant, that said, you are coming from a completely urban area situated in a sub-tropical climate, I know as I live in C.S. too and it's the polar opposite of Alaska. You couldn't go for a greater extreme, it's only 6° away from 90° here and you want to go to the Alaskan bush where temps often do not get above -10°? I don't think you've thought this out, if you haven't then you better. I too have always wanted to relocate to AK but I was planning on Anchorage and even then I'm wary of such drastic change. It just doesn't seem like you are being realistic at all, South Florida is easy living, Alaska is not and I have the feeling nobody is going to give you free land nor a free ride which is often expected in Florida.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:38 PM
gks

3 posts, read 6,236 times
Sounds like u need to speak with Papa Pilgrim ! But, he's gone now!

Old 01-21-2010, 11:24 PM

1,435 posts, read 2,777,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
I agree with you on that. If I were going to do something like that, I would make sure I had one years worth of provisions with the assumption I would find NOTHING to eat through hunting, fishing, growing, and gathering. Then, after the first year, I would have an idea of how proficient I was, and what I could expect in terms of self sustenance. I know one thing: I would never even think of a "straw bale" house in Alaska. I had a friend who live in one in Utah during the winter and froze their @ss off.
Straw bale construction is amazingly energy efficient. Look it up, you might be suprised. Thatch roofs are actually the most expensive way to roof a house in Europe- done properly it will last a century...
In any case, this is done by people with means. You need to plaster the exterior walls etc., cant do it on zero budget.

Myself, being a builder, contractor, I could build a shelter out of what's availiable and it would be quite good! Could average person do it? Sure, with some luck on the first try, but most likely with setbacks and mistakes that could turn deadly come winter.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:47 PM

879 posts, read 1,730,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPF View Post
Straw bale construction is amazingly energy efficient. Look it up, you might be suprised. Thatch roofs are actually the most expensive way to roof a house in Europe- done properly it will last a century...
In any case, this is done by people with means. You need to plaster the exterior walls etc., cant do it on zero budget.

Myself, being a builder, contractor, I could build a shelter out of what's availiable and it would be quite good! Could average person do it? Sure, with some luck on the first try, but most likely with setbacks and mistakes that could turn deadly come winter.
I'm sure you're right. I know nothing about straw bale construction. I'd also surmise that the house that a friend spent the winter in was of poor quality. I stand by the fact that I wouldn't build one in Alaska simply because I wouldn't know what to do. Besides, I like good old fashioned wood.

As far as thatch roofs, I would only consider one in a wet climate like here in WA. They are fire hazards, and the insurance is ungodly.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:58 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,029,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
The real estate market is a market, and there will always be sellers. While a few people may decide to try to hang on and not sell, there are always those who have to whether it's divorce, death, financial reasons, job transfer, etc. That's where market prices are set, not by people who "don't have to sell."
This is a very succinct definition of a market.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
The snow in parts of Alaska will eat a straw bale house alive if certain precautions aren't taken.

Old 01-22-2010, 12:50 AM

126 posts, read 381,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdontcare View Post
John and his sister/wife Betty Bubba Joe John to help gittin aquainted and such.

You could get a marketable skill makin' class A shine and move to where ever you want after that.

You wouldn't even need shoes or teeth!

You might even shoot at some bubblin' crude, who knows?
That's pretty ignorant and classless.

Old 01-22-2010, 05:33 AM

310 posts, read 777,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mica View Post
That's pretty ignorant and classless.
Oh no! Does that mean you don't like me any more?

How am I going to sleep?

ltdontcare- L T dont care just thought I would break it down for you, Elly Mae.

I'm making a point here, my ex-friend (sigh). Just with the liability alone, who in their right mind would go along with letting someone live on their land, with or without a contract of any kind, let alone all of the other affore mentioned reasons.

Oh,what about that Vette?

A more more temperate area where land is cheaper..Never mind.

Last edited by ltdontcare; 01-22-2010 at 05:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska