Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:08 PM

2,758 posts, read 5,286,171 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the reminder, mongazid. I think I'll be bringing a camera with me pretty much everywhere. Nice thing about being up there in the summer rather than down here - you can leave electronics in your truck without them practically melting!

I got my passport yesterday. My apartment is a mess, with boxes full of garage sale stuff and plastic bins full of stuff I'm taking with me. There's so much to do! Just over three weeks left and then I'm on the road. Nervous and excited at the same time. :-D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 03:22 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,120,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Thanks for the reminder, mongazid. I think I'll be bringing a camera with me pretty much everywhere. Nice thing about being up there in the summer rather than down here - you can leave electronics in your truck without them practically melting!

I got my passport yesterday. My apartment is a mess, with boxes full of garage sale stuff and plastic bins full of stuff I'm taking with me. There's so much to do! Just over three weeks left and then I'm on the road. Nervous and excited at the same time. :-D

You will love Valdez. Its very, very beautiful. Be sure to buy some fishing gear when you get here and get your fishing license. Not much else to do around there, but what more could you ask for? Cooler full of beer and fishing in a very, very beautiful area of the state.

My home sounds like it is beginning to look like yours. Boxes and Bins are multiplying...... where did it all come from? Kinda friggin hilarious we are trading places.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:43 PM

Got some fishing gear. Not sure how much bass and crappie tackle translates to up there. **** I think will be useful, not so sure about plugs (we call 'em crankbaits, btw). Got lots of spinners, which I hear is the hot ticket up there aside from flies. Don't know how to fly fish yet, but my dad gave me his old fly rod before he died in February. Got to learn how to use that thing and catch some rainbows for the old man. My guy's building a fish wheel for the Copper River, though his company's got him stranded over in Cordova right now so he can't work on it.

I think I have to disagree about not much else to do besides fishing. Looks like there's a decent amount of hiking and kayaking fun to be had in summer. Heck, you can drive above treeline at Thompson Pass and not even deal with all that alder mess. Not too much in the way of mountain biking or rock climbing, but it looks like there's enough to keep my gear from getting too dusty. And in the winter, well... :-D

I think I'm gonna need a snowmachine.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:20 PM

109 posts, read 335,237 times
you can mountain bike in thompson pass

Old 05-01-2010, 03:24 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
That would be such a fun drop down from the pass!

Old 05-01-2010, 06:01 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,882,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Got some fishing gear. Not sure how much bass and crappie tackle translates to up there. **** I think will be useful, not so sure about plugs (we call 'em crankbaits, btw). Got lots of spinners, which I hear is the hot ticket up there aside from flies. Don't know how to fly fish yet, but my dad gave me his old fly rod before he died in February. Got to learn how to use that thing and catch some rainbows for the old man. My guy's building a fish wheel for the Copper River, though his company's got him stranded over in Cordova right now so he can't work on it.

I think I have to disagree about not much else to do besides fishing. Looks like there's a decent amount of hiking and kayaking fun to be had in summer. Heck, you can drive above treeline at Thompson Pass and not even deal with all that alder mess. Not too much in the way of mountain biking or rock climbing, but it looks like there's enough to keep my gear from getting too dusty. And in the winter, well... :-D

I think I'm gonna need a snowmachine.
You can use dry fly lures on a regular fishing rod, me and my dad did all the time, and it worked better than spinners.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
That would be such a fun drop down from the pass!
a friend of mine has taken his long skateboard and streetluged down the pass, im going to tell him to let me know if he does it again so i can videotape it!

Old 05-04-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbound08 View Post
a friend of mine has taken his long skateboard and streetluged down the pass, im going to tell him to let me know if he does it again so i can videotape it!
I saw videos of some kids doing that at Hatcher Pass. Looked like (scary) fun.

I haven't been able to find any trail beta for Thompson Pass, so I was assuming it's mostly a trail-less area, but maybe there are some that aren't exactly advertised.

Old 05-04-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
You can use dry fly lures on a regular fishing rod, me and my dad did all the time, and it worked better than spinners.
I've never done that, but I've been reading about it since you posted this. Sounds like an interesting idea!

Old 05-14-2010, 04:01 AM

yeah its mostly trailess, i just park at a pulloff and start hiking up hill!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska