Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 02:03 PM

2,048 posts, read 3,810,414 times

Advertisements

Molly....don't listen to Maurice, he's kind of a newbee...

Alaska Air flies everyday out to Kodiak....737-400's...and they even fly them back

The early morning flight, AS47 is $139, 1-hour flight...and it says they make it out there 80% of the time

Last edited by Captain Crunch; 04-25-2010 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 02:17 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
Molly....don't listen to Maurice, he's kind of a newbee...

Alaska Air flies everyday out to Kodiak....737-400's...and they even fly them back

The early morning flight, AS47 is $139, 1-hour flight...and it says they make it out there 80% of the time
what happens the other 20% that it doesn't make it, go down??? sorry couldn't resist being a smart a$$!!!

Old 04-25-2010, 02:53 PM

635 posts, read 1,655,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
what happens the other 20% that it doesn't make it, go down??? sorry couldn't resist being a smart a$$!!!
Too funny I was thinking I had an 80% chance of survival

Old 04-25-2010, 08:13 PM

89 posts, read 200,495 times
Keep in mind the Mat-Su Valley. They would have employment there. If you are interested in the school system, they have a shortage of school psychologists. It is farther out than Eagle River and has some nice locations at better prices than Anchorage. Just a thought

Old 04-25-2010, 08:22 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,071,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollym313 View Post
I have been reading this forum for months now. I have gotten some great ideas from you all. I have been going over Alaska maps etc. Everytime I hone in on a destination...I hear of what my be a "better fit" for my son and I.

This is where I need your input. My son (14) and I (39 until July) would like to relocate to Alaska. I have a Bachelor's in Psychology and have experience working in the not for profit sector and am currently working in a hospital Psychiatric unit which consists of the mentally ill and/or those that suffer alcohol and/or drug addiction.

My son and I want the adventure but also a strong sense of community. Anchorage is a bigger city than I would like but I know there are more jobs. I have been interested in Eagle River, Kanai Peninsula, and Kodiak.
Kodiak is beautiful but the idea of taking a ferry/boat to the mainland is not appealing at this time.

We want scenery (lots of it) but not to far off the beaten path. Northern Alaska is a bit too harsh for what I am looking for as far as the cold and lack of roads. Any ideas? I would like a small town feel, preferable close to the ocean or a large lake. I am not into the "single" night life, so bars and clubs and a big social scene is not important.

I know it gets veryyy cold. I know cost of living is high and wages in many areas are too. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Are any of you from the areas I mentioned? I have really gotten an interest in Kanai Peninsula.
Molly,

Also consider Juneau. The scenery is amazing, the temperatures are moderate, the schools are good and so it the strong sense of community. There are some psych jobs on the state website. The school district, the hospital, and many social service orgs in town all may be employment options.

Housing is expensive, but I moved here from Tennessee and other expenses are not much more than what I paid down south (gas, food, utilities etc.).

Old 04-26-2010, 03:57 PM

635 posts, read 1,655,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Molly,

Also consider Juneau. The scenery is amazing, the temperatures are moderate, the schools are good and so it the strong sense of community. There are some psych jobs on the state website. The school district, the hospital, and many social service orgs in town all may be employment options.

Housing is expensive, but I moved here from Tennessee and other expenses are not much more than what I paid down south (gas, food, utilities etc.).
Someone else had also mentioned Juneau and you are right! It is beautiful. I think I got fixated on the Anchorage/Kenai areas and did not really look at the SE to meet my needs but...I am now Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska