Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 03:05 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times

Advertisements

It was bad enough last season when just after making payroll I'd go down to the liquor store and there would be my crew blowing their checks on pull tabs (they would try to hide from me but no such luck on their part), but now they are putting slot machines over in tribal headquarters. Though I have no intention of stalking employees to see how they are spending their money (unless I get really bored)....well, I'm just wondering if any of the other villages are getting slots.

I was down there just an hour or so ago and I guess they got some machines from Vegas and are going to put them in the back room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 04:12 PM

471 posts, read 1,062,313 times
... really what business is it of yours what they spend their money on, and why are they hiding it from you? I can spend my entire pay check on a stripper named candy, right in-front of my boss... and its none of his concern (though it might be awkward).

Also, tribes have a right to gambling just like they do in the lower 48. Why do you care? They allow arcades, and they don't pay you back.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:13 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,451 times
The proliferation of gambling is a shame. It can really destroy lives.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:15 PM

879 posts, read 1,731,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamcoltra View Post
... really what business is it of yours what they spend their money on, and why are they hiding it from you? I can spend my entire pay check on a stripper named candy, right in-front of my boss... and its none of his concern (though it might be awkward).

Also, tribes have a right to gambling just like they do in the lower 48. Why do you care? They allow arcades, and they don't pay you back.
You're not very old, are you? Because, if you were, you would understand that such things could very well impact your working career whether you like it or not.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:16 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,883,535 times
It does affect the workplace when your employees are starving cause they are broke....or don't have a way to get to work...

Old 05-28-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:

I'll care about whatever I please, but thanks for your concern.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:40 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,688,413 times
In all actuality there are very few tribes in Alaska that can have gambling devices on their land. It's in Metlakatla, Klawock, Angoon and I think the other was Venetie. There was an article in the ADN a few years ago that dealt with this issue. Has something to do with trust property held by the BIA for the tribe. I gotta go find the article.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:43 PM

471 posts, read 1,062,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I'll care about whatever I please, but thanks for your concern.
Well its your right to care about what you want (if you are anything like you are here, I feel sorry for your employees). However, again its none of your business what they do. If you want to be a busy body thats well within your rights as a citizen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadicBear View Post
You're not very old, are you? Because, if you were, you would understand that such things could very well impact your working career whether you like it or not.
I am younger, but I do know that what you do impacts how your employer looks at you. I would never ACTUALLY pay for a stripper when my boss was around (or ever for that matter, but if I were to). The fact of the matter stands that its still none of their business.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:56 PM

Actually Coltra, I'd fire you in a hot second if you blew your whole paycheck on a stripper named Candy and in the state of Alaska I would have a right to do so. Such behavior would indicate a very unhealthy attitude towards women and I would feel on obligation to the young ladies employed here not to have perverts on the place. Now if you just spent a few bucks on Candy, while I would consider that distasteful, it's not outside of the range of semi normal behavior on the part of young men.

Beside, if you had actually read my post you would have seen where I probably won't be stalking people trying to find out how they are blowing their checks, until the satellite dish gives out and I need to find some fun.

Kind of annoying though when I gotta wait ten minutes to buy a bottle of hooch in the liquor store because the clerks are busy with pull tab idjits. Oh, and I think the reason they may try to hide from me is because they know they'll be asking me for a draw to buy diapers for the baby or some such and being seen gambling their checks away doesn't allow them much credibility.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Well its your right to care about what you want (if you are anything like you are here, I feel sorry for your employees). However, again its none of your business what they do. If you want to be a busy body thats well within your rights as a citizen.

I am younger, but I do know that what you do impacts how your employer looks at you. I would never ACTUALLY pay for a stripper when my boss was around (or ever for that matter, but if I were to). The fact of the matter stands that its still none of their business.
The fact of the matter stands is that in most states, you can be fired for "any or no reason"---though fed. law supersedes some of that, asinine behavior in strip clubs et al isn't a federally protected practice.

Nice to see you back online, by the way...sorry it didn't work out in Bethel for you; hope that life in Mom's basement is treating you okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska