Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2012, 10:56 AM

102 posts, read 173,424 times

Advertisements

As a recent retiree, I am considering relocation to Albany. I would appreciate information regarding the most desirable (clean, safe, quiet), yet affordable neighborhoods for apartment rentals within the city limits or very close-in suburbs, far enough away from student-dominated areas. Criteria are proximity to shopping and other frequently-necessary services, near reliable public transit. Prefer older, well-maintained buildings (no high-rises). Price range: approx. $600-900/mo. for a studio or one-bedroom apt., though am somewhat flexible. I am very progressive, physically active (hiking, running, birding), follow a green, vegan and animal-friendly lifestyle. Please advise if locating such a place is feasible these days. Would Albany be a good fit? Any additional information about living in the Albany is also welcome.

Ron in Oakland, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 03:11 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,835,338 times
Um...why are you moving from CA to NY to retire?

Old 01-13-2012, 04:45 PM

599 posts, read 1,653,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Um...why are you moving from CA to NY to retire?
One word: "Oakland"

Old 01-13-2012, 07:40 PM

267 posts, read 971,836 times
I think you could find what you are looking for in Albany. My favorite neighborhood in Albany is Central Sq. But there are neighborhoods towards St. Peters that I liked, lots of bungalows, sidewalks, but I don't know the name of the neighborhood. It's off of New Scotland. Strangely I was just reading the Times Union and their "house of the week" is exactly what I'm talking about: http://www.timesunion.com/houseofthe...#photo-2054889

Have you considered Saratoga? I think that would be another area to consider. Besides being a cute city, it's just that much closer to the Adirondacks. I also like all the activities in Saratoga State Park. In the winter it's great for ice skating, snow shoeing, x-country skiing - all of which I've loved there. Last year was the first time I'd tried ice skating there - a nice large outdoor area that they flooded for ice. During the summer there are two pools, hiking, mtn. biking, etc.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:52 AM

Yes, Oakland is right. Sure, there are some wonderful things about living here. But, IMHO, The Bay Area is overrated and definitely over-priced. So, after more than twenty years living here, it;s time for a change. Surely, there must be places offering quality of life but still affordable.

As for Saratoga, I've heard that it is rather pricey and overrun with tourists in the warmer months. However , it does sound appealing. Though a native of NYC, I only visited there once to photograph at the racetrack. So, I would appreciate more info about both locations, esp. details regarding specific neighborhoods and rental prices.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:01 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Perhaps the Downtown sections of Schenectady and Troy may work, as could the neighborhoods near Union College/Union Street in Schenectady and near RPI in Troy. I believe that even Cohoes did a little bit of revamping of its Downtown too. This may help: Troy NY Neighborhoods (http://troyny.gov/neighborhoods.html - broken link)

Schenectady City neighborhoods

City of Cohoes, NY - City of Cohoes, NY

Neighborhoods - The Official Site of the City of Albany, NY
Albany NY Neighborhoods - Mansion, Pine Hills, Center Square, Colonie, Guilderland, Troy & More On Albany.com - Community's Official Guide

Center Square(Inc. Lark Street) and Delaware Ave in Albany might be what you want.

City of Saratoga Springs
Visit Saratoga! Racing, Tourism & Travel Guide to Saratoga Springs NY: Find Hotels, Events, Restaurants & Real Estate

Old 01-15-2012, 03:37 AM

Ok. Trying to tie things together. I would like to know, based on the criteria listed in my original post, which among Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester and Ithaca, folks would think is the best fit.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:21 AM

263 posts, read 626,296 times
Albany offers a lot, vibrant community involvement, great areas, short drives to all kind of "Country settings", great bus routes, most of the crime is happening in the same areas, etc

Old 02-02-2012, 12:04 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,835,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npauthor View Post
Ok. Trying to tie things together. I would like to know, based on the criteria listed in my original post, which among Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester and Ithaca, folks would think is the best fit.
Albany for sure. It's a city but it's spread out so you can be away from student areas as you suggested you wanted. It would also be good because you mentioned you like to hike. You're only a short driving distance away from some places to hike. A lot of people from Albany like to go camping too.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:59 AM

95 posts, read 191,497 times
You might like the village of colonie. There are tons of retired people there and it is a VERY close in suburb. As far as in Albany, I like the area around New Scottland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area