Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2007, 06:39 AM

1 posts, read 10,694 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am thinking of taking a job offer in Albany, NY.
Currently I live in Buffalo, NY making $15.61 per hour. The job I can apply for is starting off at $19.00 per hour in Albany. I am 25 and single, willing to relocate. Can anybody tell me the cost of living difference between the two cities...rent costs, utilities cost, food and gas prices..etc??
I would greatly appreciate any information, as I have never been to Albany in my life. For me I am getting excited already about a possible change and new direction in life.
I'm on this site trying to do some homework in researching the differences in the areas.
Thank you for your information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 10:20 AM

42 posts, read 178,518 times
Hi,

Somebody told me Buffalo is the cheapest housing in the country right now. I have lived in the capital district my whole life, just moved to Troy 5 years ago. From what I have seen over the last 5 years in this area, the jobs and cost of living pre 2000 (.com era) , was very good. The area took a nose dive after that, and I think is still recovering. The housing, cost of living in the last 5 years has skyrocked and salaries have not kept up with the inflation. Otherwise it is a great area, jobs are still a pretty abundant and for $19.00 hr you should be able to live comfortably here as a single person.

Take care

Old 11-24-2007, 10:24 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
From my own research the Capital District seems to have a higher overall cost-of-living than Western Upstate New York, likely due to its proximity to New York City. Generally any community within a three-hour or so radius of Manhattan has been noticing their cost-of-living climbing upwards in recent years.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:07 PM

80 posts, read 359,244 times
The median home price in Albany is roughly double that in Buffalo. I don't know how that correlates to rental prices but I think other costs (energy, food etc.) are slightly higher in Buffalo than Albany (not sure about that). On $19 per hour you should be okay..but I would hold out for $21 per hour:-)

Last edited by Miker; 11-25-2007 at 06:19 PM..

Old 11-29-2007, 06:02 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,818,391 times
Google "Sperlings Best Places". The website compares communities in more depth than this one. It has a place (you may have to hunt a while) where you can put in the town and your income here and where you are going and it will tell you what you need to live equivalently.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:52 AM

213 posts, read 449,431 times
albany is generally more expensive then Buffalo in most catagories.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:45 PM

69 posts, read 194,149 times
Having lived in both cities, I found that Albany is quite a bit more expensive than Buffalo, presumably since it is only a couple of hours' drive from NYC but also because state government workers are generally well-paid and they make up a large proportion of the Capital District workforce. Food and the like is pretty similar in price to Buffalo, but rent is at least 30% higher.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:00 AM

95 posts, read 191,497 times
I heard that most things here cost more than Buffalo but that real estate taxes in Buffalo may be more. I think if it is a long term job you will definitely be able to get by on that income here if you budget reasonably well.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:04 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,835,338 times
Albany is more expensive to live in than Buffalo. I just checked a salary calculator. See the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Albany - cost of living compared to Buffalo??-albany-vs-buffalo.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area