Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 PM

239 posts, read 509,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
Be careful what you wish for. I've been in Austin for almost 20 years and have watched it deteriorate because of the influx of people. Our roads are now among the most congested, the housing prices have skyrocketed, and the former laid back attitude that made Austin special has been replaced by "must get to work and be powerful" attitude. Two more years and I retire and get out. I've even visited Glens Falls as a possible retirement site.
I think it would great if Albany became more like Austin. Not only would it be good for the area economically, but it will help the entire state of New York as well. Upstate New York has been economically depressed for many years (even before the current recession) and if Albany took steps to be more like Austin, Upstate New York would be back on its feet.

Yes more traffic and higher housing prices are unpleasant, but you have to remember it also is a sign that a city is doing well. Just my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 07:49 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Then, why are people moving down South because it is "cheaper"?

Also, it depends on where you are in Upstate NY and one's skills, education and experience. This isn't to say that things can't improve, but things may not be as bad as people think. For instance, the Syracuse and Rochester metros are at all time highs in population and some of the smaller metros are as well. Until recently, unemployment rates were below the national average for many of the Upstate metros. Some still are, including the Albany-Schenectady-Troy metro.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Then, why are people moving down South because it is "cheaper"?

Also, it depends on where you are in Upstate NY and one's skills, education and experience. This isn't to say that things can't improve, but things may not be as bad as people think. For instance, the Syracuse and Rochester metros are at all time highs in population and some of the smaller metros are as well. Until recently, unemployment rates were below the national average for many of the Upstate metros. Some still are, including the Albany-Schenectady-Troy metro.
Some cities in Upstate NY "hold it's own" when compared to the national unemployment rate. But that doesn't mean they don't need to diversify their economies more. As I stated in the other thread, places like the Capital Region would have a much healthier economy if it wasn't dominated by just healthcare, education, and government. Also Albany-Schenectady-Troy need to revitalize their downtowns and entire city limits if they want to attract outside people to work there.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:28 PM

I don't know about entire city limits, as each have good and bad neighborhoods. Schools may be of bigger importance and some aspects more than others. Same with safety in certain urban neighborhoods. It doesn't matter what city you go to, you will have variety in terms of neighborhoods and in many ways.

I also think that people also have to look at smaller companies, which hire more people than bigger companies in the US. There are tech, insurance and some other jobs in the area. It may not be as obvious though. http://cap.essentialnyjobs.com/search9.php?browse=1

http://www.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=Insurance&l=Albany%2C+NY

Old 04-15-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I don't know about entire city limits, as each have good and bad neighborhoods. Schools may be of bigger importance and some aspects more than others. Same with safety in certain urban neighborhoods. It doesn't matter what city you go to, you will have variety in terms of neighborhoods and in many ways.

I also think that people also have to look at smaller companies, which hire more people than bigger companies in the US. There are tech, insurance and some other jobs in the area. It may not be as obvious though. Capital Region Jobs

Insurance jobs in Albany, NY - Indeed Mobile
I have no doubt that there are small tech, insurance, and other industries in the Capital Region, and I agree small businesses can be better for jobs. But perhaps the Capital Region can expand that small business economy by attracting many more businesses in those career areas.

There is variety of good and bad in the city neighborhoods, but the run down areas in Albany/Schenectady/Troy outnumber the good areas. I guess I'm saying that if the Capital Region wants to attract more young professionals from other areas it needs to add more businesses and revitalize city neighborhoods. From my experience, Albany has long ways to go and needs to take a different direction if it wants to be more like other cities close to its tier such as Austin, Sacramento, and Orlando (I'm talking about outside the theme park economy there).

Old 04-15-2012, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
I have no doubt that there are small tech, insurance, and other industries in the Capital Region, and I agree small businesses can be better for jobs. But perhaps the Capital Region can expand that small business economy by attracting many more businesses in those career areas.

There is variety of good and bad in the city neighborhoods, but the run down areas in Albany/Schenectady/Troy outnumber the good areas. I guess I'm saying that if the Capital Region wants to attract more young professionals from other areas it needs to add more businesses and revitalize city neighborhoods. From my experience, Albany has long ways to go and needs to take a different direction if it wants to be more like other cities close to its tier such as Austin, Sacramento, and Orlando (I'm talking about outside the theme park economy there).
Does Orlando have anything outside of that industry?

Albany is much smaller in population and square mileage than any of those cities. What's interesting is that all three of the metro city centers added population this past decade. So, maybe there are enough neighborhoods to attract some people. Considering how old these cities are, it is kind of tough to compare them to those cities.

Just to put some information into perspective, Albany is 21.4 square miles. Austin is 251.5 square miles. Orlando is at 93.5 square miles. Sacramento is at 97.2 square miles. Interestingly, Albany is still more dense in terms of population than all 3 of those cities. I get the variation in terms of neighborhoods and all, but when you compare Albany to cities with outer city neighborhoods that would be on par with say Colonie or Bethlehem or in the case of Austin, which takes up almost half of Albany County, it can be an odd comparison. Schenectady and Troy are 10.8 and 10.5 square miles, respectively. Schenectady is the most dense city mentioned in this post, with Troy sitting neck and neck with Albany. Sacramento is next in that regard. This information is according to this website and has some margin for error.

Here's some more information: US2010

US2010

US2010

US2010

US2010

US2010

US2010

US2010

US2010

US2010

Metro information:
US2010

US2010

Old 04-16-2012, 01:48 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,927,566 times
Anyone considering relocating from Austin to Albany will definitely undergo some culture shock, as other shocks as well. Albany has a cold, snowy climate indicative of upstate NY, and on the whole, it's a much older-looking area than Austin, which is relatively modern, and blessed (?) with near-constant sunshine. Not to mention the different political climes in NY and Texas...

Albany is interesting, and relatively cheap by NY standards, but quite old by American standards. Just keep this in mind...

Old 04-16-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Anyone considering relocating from Austin to Albany will definitely undergo some culture shock, as other shocks as well. Albany has a cold, snowy climate indicative of upstate NY, and on the whole, it's a much older-looking area than Austin, which is relatively modern, and blessed (?) with near-constant sunshine. Not to mention the different political climes in NY and Texas...

Albany is interesting, and relatively cheap by NY standards, but quite old by American standards. Just keep this in mind...
Yes, it is the 4th oldest city in the US, but having character isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Also, the Albany area averages the same amount of snow as the Denver area and that doesn't seem to derail that area. Snowfall - Average Total In Inches It may be adjusted, but gives an idea of how much a metro gets. It can be used to the area's advantage too. It isn't like Texas summers are mild either.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-16-2012 at 06:00 PM..

Old 04-16-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Also, the Albany area averages the same amount of snow as the Denver area and that doesn't seem to derail that area. Snowfall - Average Total In Inches It may be adjusted, but gives an idea of how much a metro gets. It can be used to the area's advantage too. It isn't like Texas summers are mild either.
Denver also has a lot more sunnier days than any place in Upstate New York, which IMO makes the winters more bareable. Temperatures normally aren't constantly 20 degrees or below in Denver during the winter either, which makes going from Albany to Denver an easier transition than Austin to Albany.

Old 04-16-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
Denver also has a lot more sunnier days than any place in Upstate New York, which IMO makes the winters more bareable. Temperatures normally aren't constantly 20 degrees or below in Denver during the winter either, which makes going from Albany to Denver an easier transition than Austin to Albany.
Good points and perhaps that is the case... You actually find people that don't mind that transition though. We have a poster in the Buffalo forum that moved from Austin to Buffalo. So, some may like, look for or don't mind the change. It is the same with summers, which tend to be milder and less humid up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area