Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2012, 11:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,416 times

Advertisements

Hi I got a job at KAPL(Knolls Atomic Plant Laboratory), and wanted to know where is the best place live. First I'm fine with a commute of 30 minutes or less. Right now I'm staying in hotel in Albany and don't like the area . Is too dirty!! It is normal to throw their cigarettes butts on the street like is normal? And the buildings look too old. I like that in Albany I'm near a downtown area. I would like my rent to be under 1000 with 1200 being the absolute max. Apartment or house is good. I checked out the area neat KAPL and looked way to run down and it seems like there is nothing around that area. So far I'm not impressed with Albany : (. I'm coming from Orlando, FL and liked that in Orlando there is a lot of restaurants to choose from. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 2,972 times
For a listing of apartments in the area, check out this link:

http://www.rentersguidealbany.com/index.cfm?page=browse

Also, what are you looking for out of an apartment (new building, amenities, sq footage, being downtown, etc.)?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:25 AM

93,249 posts, read 123,876,708 times
What about something in Niskayuna or Colonie? Both are nice suburbs with stores/shopping, especially Colonie. I know KAPL is in Niskayuna, but I'm wondering if it is just the immediate area, as Niskayuna is one of the nicer suburbs in the area. Clifton Park is another option too.

As an area, Albany is an older area than Orlando in terms of growth. So, it isn't going be as shiny and new, but will have plenty of character in comparison(perhaps).

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-25-2012 at 08:34 AM..

Old 05-25-2012, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,416 times
Thank you for information and the website. Yeah when I looked around the area or KAPL I didnt like it one bit. The areas that I went through in Niskayuna, mainly glendale ave, looked nice but felt away from the city. Also I couldn't find, or didnt look hard enough, shopping centers and dinning. I'll looked through that website and maybe I will find a nice place in an area I like.

Old 05-25-2012, 02:35 PM

95 posts, read 191,411 times
I worked at KAPL for a few months...everyone lived in Clifton Park basically.

Old 05-25-2012, 03:19 PM

93,249 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raulm753 View Post
Thank you for information and the website. Yeah when I looked around the area or KAPL I didnt like it one bit. The areas that I went through in Niskayuna, mainly glendale ave, looked nice but felt away from the city. Also I couldn't find, or didnt look hard enough, shopping centers and dinning. I'll looked through that website and maybe I will find a nice place in an area I like.
Actually, the Upper Union Area of Schenectady is fine and is adjacent to Niskayuna. There is shopping there and there is Mohawk Commons off of Balltown Road. Here's some information: Upper Union Street Business Improvement District|Upper Union Street Business Improvement District

Upper Union Street, Schenectady NY - YouTube

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohaw...yuna,_New_York)

Retail Space for Lease at Mohawk Commons in Niskayuna, New York | DDR

http://uniontriangle.org/

Schenectady Apartments - Pretty Apartments - Historic Schenectady Rental Homes
Explore Schenectady

GE Realty Plot - Schenectady New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area