Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 11:06 AM

84 posts, read 377,244 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about accepting a job in Albany. My favorite exercise is lap swimming. I usually swim later in the evening after 7pm. It helps me to de-stress and get a good night of sleep. Sometimes I swim in the morning, like 6-7 am especially on weekends.

Would anyone like to recommend some good places for indoor lap swimming? I am open to consider county pools, city pools, or a gym. My top priorities are safety, cleanliness, hours, and cost. If the facility has extras like a hot tube, it will be a plus, but it's not a deal breaker.

Any suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks a bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 PM

27 posts, read 63,846 times
I guess it will depend on where you live, but there are a few places I thought of off the top of my head. Cicotti center in colonie which is a fitness center too and has a hot tub and kiddie water play section along with a lap pool. You have to have a full membership to use the pool; I believe it's around $60 a month. There's also Sidney Albert JCC and an entire network of YMCAs serving the region. They have info on their sites about fees. I'm not sure of any public indoor pools; the ones I know of are outdoor only but I'm new to the area and don't spend a ton of time in the downtown areas of albany. Sometimes high school pools offer community swim times but the schedule is limited and you have to live in the district.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:28 PM

334 posts, read 852,239 times
The Sidney Albert JCC in Albany does have a very safe and clean pool, but I have found the lap hours to be too limited for us because of swim team, water aerobics, etc. They do have very good morning swim hours.

If you join one of the Capital District YMCA's, you can use the facilities at any of them. The North Albany YMCA is more bare bones than the others, but it also tends to be not as crowded. I have only other ones I have visited are the Bethlehem & Guilderland YMCAs, but all three are very well maintained.

I have never been, but I know people downtown like the Steuben Club. It is an old school type athletic club that is going through upgrades. I've heard a lot about the classes, not much about the pool. It is not open as late as the JCC and Y, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area