Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 08:55 AM

127 posts, read 223,337 times

Advertisements

Say you're a transplant from somewhere else, you're a student, you have a bit of residual social anxiety and developmental trauma, you want to meet decent, open minded, educated and physically attractive women in their 20s? You have a difficult time opening up to people because of said developmental trauma?

What is the best way to meet decent women in the capital district outside of the bar scene? I have tried that and do not find anything that appeals to me there beyond the skin deep, exterior beauty.

I mean yes, I do want external beauty, but not JUST that. I want it augmented by the inner beauty as well.

More about me:

Male, 20s, working class (lower income unfortunately, about 25,000$ annually). Decent looking, good health, lean, semi-muscular, educated in biology and philosophy. Currently training in martial arts (for self disciplinary purposes, not to be the Alpha male on the block).

How difficult is it to meet women in this area given the combination of variables I present? Does being a lower income caucasian make it very difficult?

Occasionally I see attractive women on the CDTA buses but that is an awkward as hell scenario and they seem very uncomfortable to be on the bus to begin with, so that's probably out.

Is it a wrong observation of mine that many white women in the area are attracted to 'tough guy' types? Or have "jungle fever"?

I am not asking these questions to be ridiculous or race specific. I am asking because I am really genuinely curious about it.

Do they expect caucasian guys to be established? Have a car? Have money?

Another question that may seem ridiculous at the surface but is actually a real curiosity of mine because the behavior of women here is far different than other states I have lived in, specifically in that I see a lot of women here with "tough" guys. In my previous location I dated a few Asian women and white women who preferred education and general health over the "tough guy" thing, so I am rather confused by Albany and its male/female relations. As it almost seems backwards compared to previous locations.

I often feel quite Alienated here as a matter of fact because I don't really fit in with either my caucasian student peers, due to being from a low income background nor the African American populace due to experiencing life from a different ethnical disposition, nor the asian demographic because they tend to stick within their circles. So I really have no idea which direction to turn in.

On the one hand I am urban and street wise, on the other I am educated and book smart. One would think it is the perfect balance to survive in todays world but it actually has me rather confused in the romance circuit.

I can't stand women who "talk ghetto". Sorry if that sounds judgmental but it does not attract me at all. It is purely a biological perspective. I hear them and I am turned off immensely. I think they sound like men, but that's just me.

On the other hand I feel Alienated from educated women also because they seem to only want men with money. So I am "stuck between a rock and a hard place" (to quote something my grandma use to say).

I just want some advice from people who are familiar with the dating/romance circuit in the capital district, relative to what I say.

Here is one more piece of (hopefully) helpful information.

Often I will meet a sweet, pretty and open hearted girl. She may "seem to" like me. We have amazing conversation, and it seems to be headed in the right direction, but something is blocking me from taking the next step, making the next move. And they usually end up with an uneducated jerk who mistreats them. Or end up with some guy who looks "tough" whether he is or not. And thus the Dilemma.

Thanks, and sorry for the confusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 10:19 AM

255 posts, read 487,735 times
Well for one, I'd put less of an emphasis on race. I don't know why that's such a big issue. Second, I'd be less picky if I were you. Even if you don't find the most perfect woman to date, you can still find some good friends. And believe me, friends don't have to be perfect either.

Other than that I would join a few clubs if I were you. There's an Albany young professionals club that might be a good fit. Go to Meetup.com to find some interesting clubs to join. There's a hiking club, a singles club, a movie club, a Trekkie club, whatever strikes your fancy. Just don't join clubs with solely the intent to meet people. Go there to have fun first, and meet people second.

Other then that you can try dating sites. Various dating sites have a filter where you can pick out educated, college graduates, etc. POF.com is free and is a good start.

If you're interested in sports at all there are various softball, kickball, flag football groups you can join. They all go out and at and then have a beer afterwards.

If you're interested in in more educational affairs UAlbany and St. Rose host a bunch of lectures from authors frequently. Alloveralbany.com lists these events and more at the start and end of every week.

Again, at the end of the day, don't do any of these things with the sole intent of looking to find a girl to date/marry. Do these things to have fun. The girls will come eventually, just keep yourself open and friendly.

Old 08-20-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hock41 View Post
Well for one, I'd put less of an emphasis on race.
Can you tell me where I emphasized race? I was asking questions based on curiosity and things I have noticed with my two eyes. Not to specifically point out race issues. As I have said, i've dated Asian women.

Quote:
Second, I'd be less picky if I were you.
Why? I am not trying to find a 'perfect' woman. Just one I am both physically and mentally attracted to. I do not think this is being 'picky' so much as realistic.

I do not want a woman who does not take physical care of herself when I am at the Gym every other day, or doing martial arts several days a week. I don't want a woman who I am biologically un-attracted to. That would make me miserable. I do not think this is being overly 'picky'. Nor wanting one who is feminine as opposed to manly.

She doesn't have to be super fit, just fit enough to be physically attracted to. And educated enough for me to have a decent connection with there as well.

Quote:
Even if you don't find the most perfect woman to date, you can still find some good friends.
But my Libido is not asking about friends, it is asking about women in a romantic context.

Quote:
Other then that you can try dating sites.
I do not think people should have to pay to meet other people.

Quote:
Again, at the end of the day, don't do any of these things with the sole intent of looking to find a girl to date/marry. Do these things to have fun. The girls will come eventually, just keep yourself open and friendly.
I am not doing anything to meet women specifically. I just find my Libido is running wild lately due to a little less contact with women than I need so figured I would ask some advice...

Really, more than anything what I seek is connection with women I am both physically and Mentally attracted to. Whether for dating or just exploring romantically.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:33 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,524,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling_Alien View Post

I do not think people should have to pay to meet other people.
There are quite a few free online dating sites. Okcupid and Plenty of Fish being the most popular

Old 08-20-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
There are quite a few free online dating sites. Okcupid and Plenty of Fish being the most popular
They aren't filled with Spam?

Old 08-21-2013, 04:30 AM

Quote:
They aren't filled with Spam?
Why don't you join one of the sites and find out for yourself. User hock41 gave you several other suggestions as well but you seem unwilling to try those.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Why don't you join one of the sites and find out for yourself. User hock41 gave you several other suggestions as well but you seem unwilling to try those.
Having zero standards you mean? lol

No thanks. I still think that, despite my social anxiety, I am worth what I want.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Having zero standards you mean? lol

No thanks. I still think that, despite my social anxiety, I am worth what I want.
Huh?? What does having standards have anything to do with meeting people online and/or the methods that hock suggested?

Your original question - What is the best way to meet decent women in the capital district outside of the bar scene?

Suggestions included -
-Online dating (Okcupid, POF, others that are free)
-Join a club
-Meetup.com
-Sports teams
-Educational events

If you're not open to any of those ideas, I don't know what to tell you. They are all ways you can meet women outside of the bar scene.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Huh?? What does having standards have anything to do with meeting people online and/or the methods that hock suggested?

Your original question - What is the best way to meet decent women in the capital district outside of the bar scene?

Suggestions included -
-Online dating (Okcupid, POF, others that are free)
-Join a club
-Meetup.com
-Sports teams
-Educational events

If you're not open to any of those ideas, I don't know what to tell you. They are all ways you can meet women outside of the bar scene.
I appreciated those suggestions. I am already a member of a martial arts club. I will look into other social activities.

I guess the questions I was interested in having addressed were the ones pertaining to the mindset of young women in the area, relative to men.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:15 AM

537 posts, read 768,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by condohunting View Post
Unless you are comfortable with yourself you will find it hard to be comfortable with someone else or make someone else feel like they can be comfortable with you.

You "may have standards" but why the hell would a hot girl whos got a lot to offer go after some socially awkward guy when there are 10 more who have everything you have to offer AND can make them laugh/feel comfortable/have a good time with them?
Agree. You have gotten some really good suggestions on how to meet women. And if you're a single college student, not sure what is standing in your way. Seems like you already have a set of beliefs about the available women in Albany. If you're lower income, and the available women want more money, you need to get more money. If you're "biologically" attracted to only educated, white and asian, "non-ghetto talking" women, you need to do whatever you need to do so you're in the company of those types.

If I were a guy and I saw a cute girl on a bus, I'd talk to her in a non-creepy way. It is possible. I think your social anxiety is getting in your way there.

Maybe some of those "ghetto talkers" aren't ghetto at all. Perhaps they're just really good code switchers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area