Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2015, 03:56 PM

22,457 posts, read 11,981,552 times

Advertisements

Years ago, when I was a 4 year old kid (I'm talking about the late 50s!) my family lived for 10 months in an apartment on Livingston Avenue. After that, my family moved back to Boston.

The last time I was in Albany, I was there over 10 years ago when my daughter wanted to tour a college, so there was no time for exploring the city.

Recently, I was curious and wondered if the apartment complex still existed so I did some googling and discovered that it is still there:

Albany NY Apartments for rent in New York - Tivoli Park Apartments

When we lived there, it was a nice area. With that in mind, I'm curious as to what the neighborhood is like these days. Still a decent area---or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 10:24 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,809 times
I believe Livingston Ave. is now a dangerous place. Two Cousins fish market used to be there, right? I just heard on radio a guy say they had to pull their granddaughter out of Phillip Schuyler Jr. HS because she was getting beat up all the time. Most springs, the first nice day they have a mini-riot there. When the kids get out they fight, tear up the places and cars on the way home, etc.

But no place is safe. They're not satisfied to keep their crime at home. Last night they were shooting each other outside of Colonie Center. Update: Dispute in ticket line leads to Colonie Center shooting - Times Union

Old 08-14-2015, 03:53 PM

Thanks for responding!

I was looking online at various places for sale on Livingston Avenue just to get a feel for the area. Some blocks did look like bad areas, yet others further up the Avenue didn't look so bad.

So I was curious as to what the area is like now. All those years ago when my family briefly lived there, it was a decent area but as we know, over time neighborhoods can change for better or worse.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:18 PM

2,305 posts, read 2,407,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
But no place is safe. They're not satisfied to keep their crime at home. Last night they were shooting each other outside of Colonie Center. Update: Dispute in ticket line leads to Colonie Center shooting - Times Union
This (and the perverse junk Hollywood puts out) is why I stopped going to the movies.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:03 PM

70 posts, read 125,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Years ago, when I was a 4 year old kid (I'm talking about the late 50s!) my family lived for 10 months in an apartment on Livingston Avenue. After that, my family moved back to Boston.

The last time I was in Albany, I was there over 10 years ago when my daughter wanted to tour a college, so there was no time for exploring the city.

Recently, I was curious and wondered if the apartment complex still existed so I did some googling and discovered that it is still there:

Albany NY Apartments for rent in New York - Tivoli Park Apartments

When we lived there, it was a nice area. With that in mind, I'm curious as to what the neighborhood is like these days. Still a decent area---or not?
not great unfortunately. Relatively high crime. You probably won't have a problem if you just want to drive by it a take it look, it's not as bad as the worst areas in Boston for example.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:57 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
You're fine driving by in the daytime. At night I'd avoid it.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:48 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
I believe Livingston Ave. is now a dangerous place. Two Cousins fish market used to be there, right? I just heard on radio a guy say they had to pull their granddaughter out of Phillip Schuyler Jr. HS because she was getting beat up all the time. Most springs, the first nice day they have a mini-riot there. When the kids get out they fight, tear up the places and cars on the way home, etc.

Who's "they"? The white trash from Troy, aka "Troylettes"?

Old 08-31-2015, 07:59 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,809 times
White trash would actually be an improvement.

A friend of mine bought a gun cabinet from an old A-A lady on Livingston Ave. last week. $20. She was moving, tired of all the shooting. Then she brought out all this ammunition: 9mm, 22 caliber, 45, all kind of stuff and asked him to take it. I don't know much about ammunition but it looked like a lot. He said he only had $17 left and that wasn't enough. She said, just take it or it'll get in hands it doesn't belong in. He had a picture of it and it looked like a whole arsenal. So he pressed the $17 in her hand and took it. Another friend said it was worth $500. He turned it in to the cops of sheriff or state police, I forget.

But that's what these people have to deal with. It doesn't take a whole lot of criminals to wreck a whole neighborhood.

Old 09-07-2015, 01:34 AM

I haven't checked back on this post until today. Thanks to all that answered!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area