Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2006, 05:50 PM

13 posts, read 153,462 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking about attending Albany State University in Fall 2007 and need some information on the Albany area. I need information on things like the economy (jobs), entertainment, recreation, the people, crime, and poverty. I want to know if the job market is good because i'm going to need a job while in school. I don't know myself but I heard that southwest georgia is not that good on race relations. I heard that southwest Georgia maybe one of the most racist areas of Georgia. Please put in info about that. Also while down in Albany I want to know what there is to do for entertainment aside from Albany State University activities. For anyone from the Albany area or has experienced Albany, it would be great if you could put your two cents in. Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 08:45 AM

64 posts, read 709,981 times
Albany has a rep of being all black and lots of crime. Yes, black is the majority in Albany and yes there is a high crime rate. I would be considered a minority there. I am not black but let me say that I go to Albany on a regular basis and have found that the people are absolutely great. I stay at the Hilton downtown and they have the sweetest spirit there. The staff is all black and I am white. They treat me like royalty. These folks are mostly college students and/or middle age folks. I can drive three blocks over and get scowls and hateful stares from low income black folks. This leads me to believe it may be "classism" not racism but hey, that is everywhere. I love Albany, in general the people are very hospitable.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,964 times
Question I was born in Albany,Ga.

Overall Albany is a good place to live.The racial make-up is more less 79% Black and Creek Indian,19% White,2% Hispanic and Asian.The cost of living in Albany is very good.I have alot of friends and family who attended Albany State University.Mostly all of them received a degree.It is a historic black university.It was recently rebuilt in 1994.It has a new football stadium also new dorms are being built as i write.The university has one of highest graduation percentages at around 90%.They have great teachers and professors.It is a very clean school with modern technology throughout.They have a excellent financial aid dept.,clean dorms,and that down home feel that you belong somewhere.YOU WOULD BE MORE THAN WELCOME TO JOIN US HERE IN ALBANY[a.k.a CHOCALATE CITY].What we need here is young positive people,who want to be leaders in government and business.As a young black business owner[Pride Masonry Corps.].I can clearly see the opportunity for young people who are willing to build up more leadership and business owners. There is no better platform to start from than Albany State University.Young people need to quit moving away after they have finished college and stay here to tap into all the businesses and governmental positions to bring Albany,Georgia into the 21st century.There are alot of businesses in other cities that would be very profitable if they were placed in Albany.This could be a meeca for a young black entrepenuer.I encourage young people to get into government and the practice of working for yourself. The rewards are priceless.Every city of the south far and wide can be cited for racism.I know I have did my research.My grandfather is 85 years old and a elder lady by the name of Mama Roberts who was 116 years old when she died back in the mid 1980's told me everything about Albany at a young age.Mama Roberts was a former slave on a nearby plantation.So racism does exist but it can be toppled by working diligently together to build self worth.I can on and on. BUT YOUNG MAN THE TIME IS NOW WHAT CAN YOU DO TO MAKE THE WORLD A BETTER PLACE FOR YOU AND YOUR PEOPLE?ALL I CAN TELL YOU IS THAT THE BLACK AND CREEK INDIAN COMMUNITIES WILL ACCEPT YOU WITH OPEN ARMS AND A LOVING HEART.ITS A NEW DAY AND A NEW TIME YOUNG PEOPLE STAND UP AND CLAIM YOUR RIGHTFUL POSITIONS IN THIS COMMUNITY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: