Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area
 [Register]
Albany area Albany - Schenectady - Troy - Saratoga Springs metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 05:05 AM

112 posts, read 245,335 times

Advertisements

Looking for alternative routes from Albany to southern Vermont w/out having to drive through Troy on route 7.

I have been taking the following route to get to the ski resorts in the Green Mountains for as long as I can remember: head north on 87 to exit 7, take 7E through Troy, then on to Bennington and beyond.

I realize I have to cross the river at some point, but the stop and go from Troy (specifically Hoosick St.) is always choked with traffic.

I'm not looking for a faster route necessarily, but one that has better flow. Has anyone figured out a better way to get to southern Vermont?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 05:30 AM

506 posts, read 1,025,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastreturnsWest View Post
Looking for alternative routes from Albany to southern Vermont w/out having to drive through Troy on route 7.

I have been taking the following route to get to the ski resorts in the Green Mountains for as long as I can remember: head north on 87 to exit 7, take 7E through Troy, then on to Bennington and beyond.

I realize I have to cross the river at some point, but the stop and go from Troy (specifically Hoosick St.) is always choked with traffic.

I'm not looking for a faster route necessarily, but one that has better flow. Has anyone figured out a better way to get to southern Vermont?
It's a little out of the way but try taking 787 North into Cohoes, take NY 470 East to US 4 North, turn right at 125th Street, go a couple of blocks and bear left onto Northern Drive and then take Plank Road to Cooksboro Road to NY 7 in Raymertown (avoiding Hoosic Street).

Old 11-23-2015, 11:17 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
Where in Southern VT are you going?

Old 11-23-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Where in Southern VT are you going?
Mount Snow, Stratton Mountain, Manchester Center. It seems like all roads lead through Troy and subsequently Bennington and beyond.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:14 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
For Manchester/Stratton you can take 87 north to Saratoga. From Saratoga take route 29 east through Schuylerville and Greenwich. East of Greenwich take County Route 61 to Route 313 east which will take your to Arlington, VT, a few miles south of Manchester.

Old 11-23-2015, 03:16 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,657,325 times
When you get off in Troy, follow signs for Route 2 North. When you reach the Stewarts, take a left and it will put you on route 7 above all the traffic. Also you can follow 2 to the end, make left and it will bring you out by the Stewarts on 7 before VT line.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:58 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,657,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
When you get off in Troy, follow signs for Route 2 North. When you reach the Stewarts, take a left and it will put you on route 7 above all the traffic. Also you can follow 2 to the end, make left and it will bring you out by the Stewarts on 7 before VT line.
I forgot to mention when you first get off at the exit, which I believe is the one before Rt 7, you will have to make a left, going under 787, and then 2 more lefts. Follow signs. It's a little convoluted at first but once you head over river, easy drive.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:03 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,777 times
I have to look on a map in a moment, but up the northway to exit 12, east on 67 will take you to 22 to 7. Might be more out of the way than its worth.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:10 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,777 times
So I just checked that route on a map. I used to take it years ago, just for something different. But you don't have to go to exit 12 off the northway. Take the northway to exit 9 Clifton Park. Take 146 east thru Mechanicville & pick up 67 there. 67 east will bring you to route 22. At that point depending on which ski spot you're headed for, you have a couple of options. Personally, I would take the tiny zigzag on 22 and get right back on 67 east directly into VT. Happy trails!

Old 12-02-2015, 08:53 AM

Just a follow up. I drove to Manchester on Saturday and used a combination of ideas. I looked at taking 87 all the way up to Saratoga, but that seemed like a lot of time wasted driving due North, then due east. So in search of a more diagonal route that also included Route 7 in Vermont (which is the most scenic part of the drive) I opted to take exit 7 to 7 east just across the river into Troy, then a left on 40 North, then east on Plank and Cooksboro to hook up back with route 7. This was a great way to avoid all of that stop and go on Hoosick St. The additional time was nominal. This route also keeps Bennington and Dover (Mount Snow) as destinations, while the other options did not. Thanks to all for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Albany area