Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 02:43 PM

326 posts, read 838,085 times

Advertisements

Besides a much harder name to spell!!!!

I am moving to Santa Fe in a matter of weeks from North Carolina. I am hoping I will really enjoy it and am trying to keep as level headed and positive about the whole experiance as possable. That being said I think Albuquerque might be a better choice for me personally.

I only drove through there leaving Santa Fe and heading back east on the 25 and 40 So I have no personal experiances to go on.

My thoughts-
CITY!! I am a city slicker, I have gotten used to the fact that outside of the northeast I wont find a metro like Boston anywhere else, but while driving some of those Santa Fe streets at night I got a little spooked. Hardly any street lights!! I am too afriad of the dark for that!

WEATHER. I left Boston and my love for it behind because I just dont like cold and snow. I am excited to have some snow back but I am worried Santa Fe might have a little more winter than I want in my life. From what I have read, Abuqurerque gets a little less than Santa Fe.

JOBS. Sure Santa Fe is a tourist trap so you would think in my line of work I could find something but from my research online that might not be the case. I have seen far more listings in and around Abuqureque for my profession. I really dont want to work a min wage job forever when I have a lisence and training to do something I really enjoy doing!

What else does Albuquerque have over Santa Fe? Good and Bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 03:34 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMagaritas
I am moving to Santa Fe in a matter of weeks from North Carolina.
... more listings in and around Abuqureque for my profession.
I gather you are not being transferred then?
Quote:
I only drove through there leaving Santa Fe
... no personal experiances ...
So you are moving here just on a whim?

Most people move here because they have visited and decided
that they really like it here.

When they are advised to come out and check things out in
person before moving, they get angry at that excellent advice.
Quote:
I am a city slicker, ... find a metro like Boston ...
Most people who post stuff like that end up hating
everything about anywhere in New Mexico.
Quote:
... Santa Fe streets at night ...
Hardly any street lights!!
We like it like that. Stars are nice.
Quote:
... I just dont like cold and snow. ... am worried Santa Fe
might have a little more winter than I want
... Abuqurerque gets a little less than Santa Fe.
Most people who move here consider the mild winters to be a real attraction.
The difference in the weather isn't enough to make a difference in such
a decision. It's cooler in SF vs ABQ, but it would be like just moving to
N. Carolina on a whim and saying that you won't take that great job you
just found in Charlotte because you like the Ashville weather so much more.
Quote:
... I have a lisence and training ...
Are you sure your lisence is valid in NM?
Usually out-of-state lisences are invalid here.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:24 PM

1,938 posts, read 4,750,813 times
Santa Fe gets more snow than Albuquerque and it lasts a bit longer. ABQ's snow usually
evaporates in a couple hours, Santa Fe's can stick around longer. Baring freak storms, you
do not need a snow shovel in ABQ.

Santa Fe's roads in the core area are narrower, twistier and have more elevation changes
than ABQ so while snow isn't a big problem in either city, it would be more of a pain in SF.

I'm emphasizing this because weather is not really a commuting factor in ABQ, but weather
would be at least an occasional factor in SF. Still nothing like Boston, though..

Old 08-08-2010, 04:42 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
Baring freak storms, you do not need a snow shovel in ABQ.

Where you in Albuquerque in the early 90's? haha, I'm guessing NO.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:35 PM

Mortimer- Without putting too much of my life and personal info out in a public place, I am following family out there. I am fairly young and going through a pretty big transition in my life and need help from my family to get back onto my feet. Soo sure Santa Fe is more of their dream than mine, but I am definatly excited to get back out west (always dreamed of moving out west, moved to phoenix after highschool but it turned out not being quite what I wanted).

It's not hard to get my New Mexican Lisence. I have already started the process. I am just worried about job prospects, too much snow and the dark!

Old 08-08-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Horrell View Post
Santa Fe gets more snow than Albuquerque and it lasts a bit longer. ABQ's snow usually
evaporates in a couple hours, Santa Fe's can stick around longer. Baring freak storms, you
do not need a snow shovel in ABQ.

Santa Fe's roads in the core area are narrower, twistier and have more elevation changes
than ABQ so while snow isn't a big problem in either city, it would be more of a pain in SF.

I'm emphasizing this because weather is not really a commuting factor in ABQ, but weather
would be at least an occasional factor in SF. Still nothing like Boston, though..
Yeah when I think snow storms all I can picture is what we experianced living in Mass and even more so while living in Maine omg that was torture.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:44 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkMagaritas View Post
Without putting too much of my life and personal info out in a public place, I am following family out there. I am fairly young and going through a pretty big transition in my life and need help from my family to get back onto my feet.
So, make them part of your decision. If they want you to come to Santa Fe, then go there.

Santa Fe does not get that cold, you earlier mentioned Boston...

Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,470,113 times
Nicer weather, more space and more relaxed. Cheaper.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:53 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,029,225 times
ABQ is better in every category than Santa Fe.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:57 AM

4,255 posts, read 5,937,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
Nicer weather, more space and more relaxed. Cheaper.
Personally, I'd take Santa Fe's weather over Albuquerque's. I don't think anyone can seriously argue against Albuquerque being cheaper though. I haven't spent much time in Santa Fe but Albuquerque having "more space and [being] more relaxed" makes sense too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque