Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:27 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
No, that is Paseo del Volcan.
Yes, From what I know poncho, that will be a proposed 5 lanes in each direction freeway.
Which is good, too ease the commute in the future, thats what RR needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom View Post
This looks great! When is this supposed to be built?
It will be completed in 2030, all of it. It has phases, 1, 2 will be done by 2015. The third by 2030. I think it will be sooner though, alot sooner.
HOPEFULLY!!

And the circle would take up space from the University.
This UNM WEST campus will have over 15,000+ student capacity when it is all done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 03:48 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
Also, a interstate? Hmmmm
Quote:
No, that is Paseo del Volcan.
Quote:
Yes, From what I know poncho, that will be a proposed 5 lanes in each direction freeway.
No, it is not going to a an Interstate.

No, it is not going to be a "5 lanes in each direction freeway"

From what I know, you are incorrect on that issue...

Old 09-20-2010, 05:16 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
It will be interesting to see how budget cuts happening now affect the development of UNM West. At the very least, they could slow things down.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
No, it is not going to a an Interstate.

No, it is not going to be a "5 lanes in each direction freeway"

From what I know, you are incorrect on that issue...
Yes it is going to be a freeway, disagree with me, I could care less.
I'm just letting you know what will happen.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:45 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,681 times
Quote:
Yes it is going to be a freeway, disagree with me, I could care less.
I'm just letting you know what will happen.
We're in New Mexico haha. There's way too many people like me that would fight a freeway tooth and nail. Even if it is planned as a freeway, which I have yet to hear(though it looks it in this picture), I have a notion that people may fight it till it's reduced to a nice, slow moving street, the way it should be. Just my opinion on the issue. Something we might just have to wait to see.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
We're in New Mexico haha. There's way too many people like me that would fight a freeway tooth and nail. Even if it is planned as a freeway, which I have yet to hear(though it looks it in this picture), I have a notion that people may fight it till it's reduced to a nice, slow moving street, the way it should be. Just my opinion on the issue. Something we might just have to wait to see.
No one cares if you fight tooth and nail to be honest. They do studies first to see how man people use the road, or live in the area. I worked for the city of Albuquerque for 5 years, I know the process.

That thing you call I-40 westbound was built, and had more opposition than you can imagine. Buildings had to be torn down, houses removed and businesses. That happened way before you were even born though.

You don't seem to understand the common sense approach. Rio Rancho is growing at a rate of 30,000-40,000 per every ten years. A interstate system is needed.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:49 PM

581 posts, read 1,172,452 times
Dont you think development patterns and urban planning have changed since I-40 was built?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:52 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,681 times
Quote:
No one cares if you fight tooth and nail to be honest. They do studies first to see how man people use the road, or live in the area. I worked for the city of Albuquerque for 5 years, I know the process.

That thing you call I-40 westbound was built, and had more opposition than you can imagine. Buildings had to be torn down, houses removed and businesses. That happened way before you were even born though.

You don't seem to understand the common sense approach. Rio Rancho is growing at a rate of 30,000-40,000 per every ten years. A interstate system is needed.
Yeah, I-40 also was fought tooth and nail, BECAUSE it was originally planned over Central. Thanks to anti-freeway folks like myself places like Manhattan and San Francisco and Portland and little ole' New Mexico don't have near as many miles of freeway as had been planned. People can and do fight for the change they want to see in their communities. I really don't think a freeway would benefit Rio Rancho's new downtown. Looking at the map briefly that you provided, it looks like the "freeway" only provides one access point to the downtown area, maybe two if you include the one to the west. If this area is going to be the mecca of the West Side of the metro, shouldn't it be more intimately connected to the surroundings? It seems like it just chokes it rather than allowing the area to prosper. Seeing as freeways in the past have led to blight rather than prosperity for the same reasons you mentioned above, the question would be, do we as a metro area collectively and more specifically the good people of Rio Rancho really want a new freeway? There are better ways of building a sustainable downtown. Rio Rancho is starting from fresh, they should learn from the mistakes of other cities, including Albuquerque.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
Yeah, I-40 also was fought tooth and nail, BECAUSE it was originally planned over Central. Thanks to anti-freeway folks like myself places like Manhattan and San Francisco and Portland and little ole' New Mexico don't have near as many miles of freeway as had been planned. People can and do fight for the change they want to see in their communities. I really don't think a freeway would benefit Rio Rancho's new downtown. Looking at the map briefly that you provided, it looks like the "freeway" only provides one access point to the downtown area, maybe two if you include the one to the west. If this area is going to be the mecca of the West Side of the metro, shouldn't it be more intimately connected to the surroundings? It seems like it just chokes it rather than allowing the area to prosper. Seeing as freeways in the past have led to blight rather than prosperity for the same reasons you mentioned above, the question would be, do we as a metro area collectively and more specifically the good people of Rio Rancho really want a new freeway? There are better ways of building a sustainable downtown. Rio Rancho is starting from fresh, they should learn from the mistakes of other cities, including Albuquerque.

It was NEVER planned over central, reasoning being High rises were taking shape in downtown. It was too urban to go over central. That is the biggest lie.

A free way would help, because the growing patterns of Rio Rancho are outrageous. Rio Rancho will continue to sprawl out with cookie cutter homes. It will take shape just like Albuquerque did in the 1950-1960's era of baby boomer growth.

We need to come up with solutions before it is too late. Just like Las vegas did, the city planners at the time were very smart, a city/metro wide freeway system that connects has helped the area prosper.

Think about it. Rio Rancho will hit 100,000 people soon. Can you imagine by the time the downtown area and UNM WEST is done. That will be a major headache of traffic.

That's like taking out I-25 and I-40 in Albuquerque. What would we do?
PANIC!!! CAUSE I GOTTA GET TO WORK!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:39 AM

18 posts, read 87,090 times
I can see it turning into what Paseo del Norte turned into between Coors and Jefferson, a type of freeway/ thruway through the feasible areas. I mean, just look at was they are building to connect it to 550? It was probably turn into an extension of that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque