Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2017, 09:09 PM

78 posts, read 87,592 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I am planning to start tent camping and would like to go over my spring break from APS in the 3rd week of March. Any recommendations for a sweet camping spot on a body of water (car camping with a tent) that I can bring my two dogs along?

I like peace and quiet and don't have a 4WD, so I can't go too remote. Not sure the temps here in March. Open to recommendations in AZ or CO or TX, too. Would like to stay within 6 hours or less drive from ABQ.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 09:01 AM

142 posts, read 253,245 times
For spring break it is still during the cold season, so going to Elephant Butte will probably be your best option for not freezing at night. Cochiti nearby Albuquerque has some camping options as well (expect it to still be freezing at night). The lakes in the north will not be a good option unless you're camping in a 4 season RV. If you do decide to go south just know the winds can sometimes be nasty in that area, so make sure you have your tent/belongings secured to the ground. CO will still be very wintry at that time, there are lakes in southern CO off I-25 near Trinidad, Walsenburg, and Pueblo. I am not familiar with TX lakes. Another option, which is a fairly lengthy drive is to go to someplace like Lake Havasu in southern AZ, where you are likely to get some much warmer/nice weather.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:12 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,383,124 times
Heron Lake State Park and nearby El Vado Lake State Park are a couple of the more scenic lakes in northern NM with camping and easy road access.

Heron Lake is a 'no wake' lake meaning motorized boats are prohibited so it is popular with sailers, kayakers/canoeists and people who enjoy peace and quiet.

They are at ~7,000 feet so it may well still be cold at night in March there, though.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:20 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,802,877 times
Fenton Lake State Park. About 1 hour and 45 minute drive, one way, 80 miles from Albuquerque. We have not been in over 10 years.

Related sites:

Fenton Lake State Park New Mexico

Trip Advisor - Fenton Lake State Park

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-10-2017 at 01:33 PM..

Old 02-10-2017, 01:24 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,190,015 times
Recommend you take 285 to the Bottomless Lakes State Park in Roswell, decide it's not for you, then move on to Brantley and Avalon Lakes just north of Carlsbad. If those don't do it, the big enchirito is called "Carlsbad Lake" and has a few campable spots next to the Pecos River in Carlsbad itself.

Until it warms up I'd stay away from the northern half of NM for lake camping, unless you really like cold wet weather.

Balmorhea Lake in TX is naturally heated, in case you want to exhaust your 6 hour radius. I've heard it's amazing.

Old 02-12-2017, 02:16 PM

212 posts, read 371,857 times
Abiquiu Lake
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/r...O&parkId=73364

Eagle Nest Lake
Eagle Nest Lake State Park New Mexico

Lake Roberts
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gila...ea/?recid=1985

Caballo Lake
Caballo Lake State Park, New Mexico

Navajo Lake
Navajo Lake State Park New Mexico

Heron Lake
Heron Lake State Park New Mexico

I would love to recommend Bonito Lake, probably New Mexico's most beautiful, but its closed for another few years after fire and flood damage.
Bonito Lake
Bonito Lake opening moved to August 2018
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque