Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 07:06 AM

8 posts, read 25,925 times

Advertisements

I spoke with flying star a while back. I think they told me that once they got started on construction it would take about 6 months. So my guess is that it will be open in March or April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 11:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
What is "Flying Star"? apartment block, condo, townhouses, lofts (specificaly created lofts - they used to be big city industrial space), business space? What and where?

Old 12-10-2007, 01:41 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Flying Star is the progeny of the Double Rainbow - a coffee bar and place to get general upscale food items including pies and cakes of high quality - all healthy, of course. Included in the ambience is a book/magazine store.

The Double Rainbow used to be located only in the Nob Hill area and then spawned another just N of Montgomery and Juan Tabo in sight of the dam.

It's a good place that's slightly pricey, but you always get high quality stuff in my experience.

Now, they are popping up all over the town. It's something like Starbucks, but with more types of food.

Old timers on the forum get extra points for knowing the old nickname of the Double Rainbow that rhymed with "Double Rainbow."

Old 12-11-2007, 06:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Expect the quality and ambience to deteriorate as the chain expands. It is nearly impossible to recruit people with the same amount of enthusiasm as the originators. The franchises are in it for the money. At least their bankers are.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:03 AM

3 posts, read 9,368 times
I certainly hope you're wrong, Greg. For my money, Flying Star is the best place to eat in ABQ if you want consistently outstanding food, freshly made bakery items and desserts unbeatable at any price, enjoyable ambience, and really friendly, competent service -- at a very fair price for what you get. I've eaten at only three of them (Rio Grande, Corralitos, and the new Paseo) but the quality has been very consistent.

That said, I've noticed some corners being cut over the past few years, and you always hate to see that, especially if one of them was your favorite corner. Like their incredible vanilla malts! (They no longer have malt.)

Looking forward to a much shorter drive to Bernalillo some time this spring.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:34 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,996,520 times
Bernalillo is coming along - between the Flying Star and Range Cafe, I would never have to eat anywhere else. 400k for a loft, though?? Sheesh.

Old 12-24-2007, 04:18 PM

3 posts, read 9,368 times
Well, there's apparently a market now for this style of living in ABQ. A good friend of mine who's a commercial real estate developer recently built a complex of high-end custom lofts in the NE Heights on Tramway somewhere -- can't remember exactly where -- extremely well-built and very creatively designed, very pricey -- and they mostly all sold out before they were even finished. Myself, I still want some space around me. That's why I moved to NM in the first place. But we are becoming more cosmopolitan, I suppose.

BTW, note to GregW -- Flying Star isn't franchised. Each restaurant is owned by the original founders, and they build no more than about one a year in the ABQ area to keep the quality up at the same level people expect. The new one in Bernalillo will be number 8, if I'm not mistaken. They're celebrating their 20th anniversary right now. Eight stores in 20 years is a pretty conservative growth rate! (They also own and operate the Satellite coffee houses you've seen around town. Best coffee in ABQ IMHO.)

Old 01-19-2008, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,578 times
Hello Scott, Thanks for posting the Bernalito Sub On Craigs, We have now flipped to Lot 21 and are able to build the 1555 Sq. Ft. Pueblo Home!! Wallen Homes and Warren have been great to work with so far. I look forward to meeting you when I am out visiting for 3 weeks in February! Dale I

Old 02-01-2008, 11:22 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
earlier, GregW asked:

> What is "Flying Star"?

On Flikr today, I found a picture and decided to do a search:
Flickr: Search

Here are some of the good ones that came up that I though people might like:
We Miss You, Flying Star! on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Flying Star on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The counter on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Flying Star, downtown ABQ on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Flying Stars on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The red corner on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Flying Star Cafe: Rt 66 Albuquerque on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
and just outside:
Couldn't Resist on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 02-01-2008, 12:39 PM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,288,766 times
I have heard they are going to build a Chile's somewhere in Bernalillo? Not sure were. My guess would be over near the new Chinamart. What are the building over on the grounds were the farmers market is held on Friday afternoons? Anyone know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque