Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:41 AM

13 posts, read 36,603 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I will be traveling to Phoenix in February, and am a little concerned about driving through the mountains with possible snow and ice. I'm thinking of taking I-40, then on to 53. Is that the best way? I have not done this before and have no idea of what to expect. Is this a reasonable thing to do, or should i just fly? Thanks for any opinions or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 10:50 AM

310 posts, read 1,246,186 times
Where are you coming from?

I think the chance of hitting any bad weather in February is only 10% or less. But it could happen.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:12 AM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
There have been other forums regarding the best way to Phoenix from Albuquerque, but regarding 53 (assuming you mean NM 53 going through Zuni), it's not a good way to go to avoid weather trouble. It's also not a fast or particularly scenic way to go, particularly after you cross into Arizona.

For all its faults and lack of straight-shot character, I-40 through Flagstaff has excellent plowing going for it. Big freeways with big spots to put all that snow and muck. Little roads like the ones through Payson tend to clog up and go to single lane in spots even weeks after they're plowed.

To completely improve your odds with regard to weather trouble, and still save time vs NM 53, go through Hatch, Deming, and Tucson. Odds of getting snowbound are much lower that way.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:46 PM

I hadn't even considered going through Flagstaff, due to the volume of snow they get. But, of course, it makes sense that they can handle it better. I am coming from Ohio, and just trying to plan my route using google map. Are any of the routes safer (or less safe) for a woman traveling alone? i was out there last summer when those fugitives were on the loose and later realized they had been just a few miles from where i was staying. creepy. Thanks again.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:05 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,181,344 times
The scariest part of your trip sounds like where you're starting. I suppose you could stay in Gary IN or East St. Louis IL too, but as far as out here, it's all very safe crime-wise.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:16 PM

I didn't mean to imply NM is a dangerous state, or teeming with escaped criminals. Its just that i am more familiar with the eastern part of the country, and know which areas to avoid. And, yep, i'll stay out of Gary.

Old 12-13-2010, 04:36 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg
To completely improve your odds with regard to weather ...
... go through Hatch, Deming, and Tucson.
Odds of getting snowbound are much lower that way.
This is your best advice.

From Albuquerque, if it's just cloudy here, it can be horizontal snow in Grants.

I-25 South is usually not a problem, but I-40 East is often crappy.
I-10 Las Cruces --> Phoenix is usually just fine. Most of the route
will be below or around the 4,000 foot level.

OTOH, you can get stuck near 7,000 ft on I-40 if there is an accident. You can't go
anywhere. You can't do anything. You won't be able to find out why you are stuck.

In good weather, I-40 - I-17 - Phoenix takes about the same amount
of time as I-25 - I-10 - Tucson. Tucson to Phoenix adds another 1.5
hours to the trip, but NOT GETTING STUCK is timeless.

Note that you have to check the weather report in Albuquerque. While it's less
likely to get stuck on I-25, it does happen. I've seen times when it's OK on I-25,
but not on I-40, but I can't recall a time when it was bad on I-25 but OK on I-40.
It's usually both if bad on I-25.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:53 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,612,146 times
I'd watch the Amarillo TX forecasts too, since I-40 from Amarillo to ABQ can get bad weather and bad driving conditions. In addition, there have been times just since I've been here where I-40 was shut down between Gallup and Flagstaff for bad weather/bad driving conditions. ABQ can have a gorgeous weather forecast...while all he!! breaks loose east or west of us.

I drove the I-25 south to Las Cruces/I-10 east to Tucson then to PHX route last month, late night. It wasn't too bad. It would be a good alternative if weather makes the I-40 route a bad bet. Get a book on tape - not too many stops on I-25 after ABQ (and I'm female, driving alone).

BTW, the Motel 6 at the Butler exit in Flagstaff is old but extremely clean, convenient and in a decent area.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:44 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,685,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
Note that you have to check the weather report in Albuquerque. While it's less
likely to get stuck on I-25, it does happen. I've seen times when it's OK on I-25,
but not on I-40, but I can't recall a time when it was bad on I-25 but OK on I-40.
It's usually both if bad on I-25.
This is great advice. Plan a couple of routes and check weather along the way. Then you will have an alternative if one falls through due to weather. Highly recommend a smartphone - nothing better while traveling.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:56 AM

5,548 posts, read 16,078,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon
since I-40 from Amarillo to ABQ can get bad weather and bad driving conditions ...
Yup. On one of my departures in December 1991 when I was doing an internship in Alabama,
Albuquerque was getting some light rain and I was driving in a snow tunnel on Sedillo Hill.
It was so bad that I pulled off at the first hotel and decided against trying to make it to
Amarillo. ( I wanted to check the weather report, but my "friend" wouldn't let me watch it on
their TV and mine was in storage ... ). Going from the noon weather, I thought it was doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmom
Highly recommend a smartphone. ...
... or an ordinary ( dumb ) cellphone?

I don't care how smart your phone is, if it doesn't have a signal ...

I still carry an 1970's-vintage CB radio. You don't have the range of a cellphone,
but you always have some kind of reception when someone passes within
your range. It also always has power as long as your car has gasoline.

On that last note; a cellphone/smartphone auto-charger is also recommended.

ObStandup:
My cellphone is so dumb ....

Last edited by mortimer; 12-14-2010 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque