Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 09:42 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,214 times

Advertisements

A good Samaritan claims Albuquerque police filed a bogus felony charge against him in a harebrained sting they set up by planting a backpack with beer, cigarettes and a computer outside a high school. He says he picked up the backpack so children wouldn't drink the beer or smoke the cigarettes - for which he was charged with felony larceny.

Full story:

Courthouse News Service

I have frequently picked up wallets, or the like, to turn them in to the nearest appropriate authority (or in some cases contact their owners directly). I suppose I will have to reconsider that behavior. I just picked up someone's cellphone on a bus this past week. I guess I am lucky nobody arrested me before I could hand it over to the bus driver. (I realize the case discussed here is a bit different, but I think being concerned with keeping alcohol and cigarettes away from minors is legitimate. Of course, they problem can easily get their hands on those things, along with marijuana and heroin and various prescription drugs, but it's still a nice thought.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 10:04 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
A good Samaritan claims Albuquerque police filed a bogus felony charge against him in a harebrained sting they set up by planting a backpack with beer, cigarettes and a computer outside a high school. He says he picked up the backpack so children wouldn't drink the beer or smoke the cigarettes - for which he was charged with felony larceny.

Full story:

Courthouse News Service

I have frequently picked up wallets, or the like, to turn them in to the nearest appropriate authority (or in some cases contact their owners directly). I suppose I will have to reconsider that behavior. I just picked up someone's cellphone on a bus this past week. I guess I am lucky nobody arrested me before I could hand it over to the bus driver. (I realize the case discussed here is a bit different, but I think being concerned with keeping alcohol and cigarettes away from minors is legitimate. Of course, they problem can easily get their hands on those things, along with marijuana and heroin and various prescription drugs, but it's still a nice thought.)
I hnestly don't know anyone who wouldn't pick up a backpack full of beer, cigs, and a computer, regardless if whether their intention was to take/consume it or try to return it. if true, that's way out of hand and should be stopped.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:49 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,763,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
A good Samaritan claims Albuquerque police filed a bogus felony charge against him in a harebrained sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
that's way out of hand and should be stopped.

This all happened about nine months ago, August of 2010...

Pretty much taken care of.

Is this delayed paranoia?

"bogus felony charge"? come on.... Being charged and convicted are two things...

The APD's backpack bait operation was stopped. The DA's office says it will dismiss nine of the cases. APD arrested ten people for picking up a backpack on the side of the road with a laptop, beer and cigarettes near downtown. "We found 9 cases where APD officers made an arrest, but we think it would be difficult for us to move the criminal intent necessary to get a conviction in trial," District Attorney Spokesman Pat Davis said. He says the DA filed paperwork this afternoon to dismiss 9 out of ten arrests. Only one case will move forward because the Davis says the defendant admitted to police that he stole the backpack. The District Attorney's office also met with the officers who were involved in the backpack sting operation. They talked about the cases, the legality of them, and how future operations can be done to ensure they can be prosecuted.

Here are some news on the issue:

Most charges in APD backpack sting dropped | Crime | Downtown News

APD backpack sting operation nixed | KOB.com (http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1683505.shtml - broken link)

Rich

Old 05-10-2011, 09:49 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,407,960 times
Its a horrible waste of Police resources that they would even do an operation like this. Planting stuff in plain view for people to pick up so they can be arrested is nothing short of harrasment.

The Chief of Police must be as smart as a brick wall to even approve something like that ...

Old 05-10-2011, 10:04 AM

366 posts, read 1,247,916 times
In my own personal experience, I've come to the conclusion police officers aren't exactly the brightest crayons in the box. This story just reinforces that.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Its a horrible waste of Police resources
It is? Do you have some statistics on Sting Operations?

Quote:
Planting stuff in plain view for people to pick up so they can be arrested is nothing short of harrasment.
Hummm... I guess you didn't read the articles, but it looks like 10% of those caught did in fact admitted on the intent of stealing the backpack... So if you see something on the street that does not belong to you, go ahead and steal it???

Quote:
The Chief of Police must be as smart as a brick wall to even approve something like that ...
As I recall, I believe Police Chief Schultz was not aware of the sting in advance. I have met Police Chief Schultz briefly. I think he is doing a good job. Now if we had more citizens who would... well, never mind...

Rich

Old 05-11-2011, 08:39 AM

I dont need statistics on sting operations to say that is a waste of resources. Albuquerque has bigger problems that doing stupid stuff like that, just ask the police officers themselves.

It says at least 10 people were arrested, so 10% being ONE admitted they were going to steal it. So that means 9 people who were arrested were doing the right thing and looking to see what was in it to maybe return it.

Well then hes not a very good Chief if he does not know what his own staff are up to. If more citizens would what ? Quit trying to help other by trying to recover lost property to its rightful owner ?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:43 AM

Quote:
I dont need statistics on sting operations to say that is a waste of resources.
Never mind. I understand. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Rich

Old 05-11-2011, 09:02 AM

366 posts, read 1,247,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It is? Do you have some statistics on Sting Operations?
You don't need statistics to tell you what common sense should. Between the police department and the attorney general's office hundreds of man hours were wasted on this only to have all but one case dropped.

Quote:
Hummm... I guess you didn't read the articles, but it looks like 10% of those caught did in fact admitted on the intent of stealing the backpack... So if you see something on the street that does not belong to you, go ahead and steal it???
So after spending thousands of dollars in taxpayer money, they found one person who wasn't very honest. And in the meantime, they arrested 9 good samaritans trying to do the right thing. They got to spend the day in jail (possibly longer), had to suffer the embarrassment of calling a friend or family member to bail them out, had to pay the expense of a bail bond and probably had to hire lawyers. All because a handful of cops have the sense of a pile of rocks. Yeah, that was a great idea.

Quote:
As I recall, I believe Police Chief Schultz was not aware of the sting in advance. I have met Police Chief Schultz briefly. I think he is doing a good job. Now if we had more citizens who would... well, never mind...

Rich
Whether he knew about it or not, he's ultimately responsible for what happens in his department. If he didn't know about it, the question is were the officers disciplined. If not, he sucks at his job.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Never mind. I understand. Sorry to have wasted your time.

Rich
Right dude if you cant engage in a conversation dont bother then. Stamp your feet and walk away :S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque