Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2020, 06:32 AM

329 posts, read 511,873 times

Advertisements

When I worked on base I used to take walks around the building I worked in and would see tons of lizards sunning themselves on the cinder block fences.

I also saw tons of giant american cockroaches on those same fences in the shadows. You would think the cockroaches would be a yummy treat for the lizards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2020, 07:12 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,754,801 times
I don't recall ever seeing a Lizard eating Cockroaches, but I guess they do...

From: https://www.abchomeandcommercial.com...-eats-roaches/

Are There Lizards That Eat Cockroaches?

"Yes, there are lizards that eat cockroaches. In fact, most lizard species do. Insects, including cockroaches, make up most of a lizard’s diet. Some species like the bearded dragon and leopard geckos are natural roach predators; the leopard gecko is a nocturnal lizard, which makes it an even greater threat to cockroaches. Monitor lizards are also fond of cockroaches, especially those that grow up to the four inches or more in length.

For families that keep lizards like geckos and iguanas as pets, it’s commonly known that roaches are an inexpensive, convenient and nutritious addition to their pet’s diet. Still, though, it’s best that a pet owner understands that a lizard should be fed roaches that are the size of the length between the lizard’s eyes. Baby roaches, which can sometimes be found around your home, make an easy target for your pet lizard."

Old 01-06-2020, 07:18 AM

IMG_1694 by Ricardo, on Flickr. Lizard. Photos in the Corrales, New Mexico area, October 19, 2018, Photo by R.
Sanchez. Taken with a Canon EOS REBEL T3i camera,

Old 01-06-2020, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Because they eat lizards........it broke my heart when I saw a roadrunner going across the road several years ago with a horned toad in its mouth. I especially love them, and they are so rare these days because of the increasing scarcity of the red harvester ants.
Predators of roadrunners are raccoons, hawks, and, of course, coyotes.

Coyotes and roadrunners live in the same environment and the coyotes exist throughout the roadrunners entire range. While not a staple of the coyotes diet, they are eaten by coyotes..

Roadrunners eat a wide variety of foods to include rodents, reptiles, small mammals, and insects. Due to the roadrunners will usually eat whatever is available.

The Greater Roadrunner pairs may mate for life...

Old 01-10-2020, 07:07 PM

53 posts, read 125,613 times
Funny thing, when we lived in ABQ in the condo we saw tons of Roadrunners and even had a family nesting in a bush right outside the condo. Now that we live in Moriarty not a one to be found! I always loved seeing them and miss them, they might come in handy with the centipede population out here! One thing there is plenty of out here, Skunks! Oh, well.

Old 01-11-2020, 02:31 AM

312 posts, read 277,391 times
We have a roadrunner family living in brush across the street and they are frequently in our yards. Excellent comic relief. One even strolled into the living room when the front door was open. I wouldn't call them tame or friendly, but they are not bothered by humans and will come close as they make their rounds or even let you approach. Mom, dad and growing baby. There are several cats next door but no problems so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque