Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2011, 02:14 PM

4 posts, read 6,859 times

Advertisements

You probably want to ask, "Aren't you tired of asking pointless questions if you are SO intent on coming to Albuquerque regardless of what anyone on City-Data tells you?" Let's face it, I need to find out as much as possible about a city since a preliminary visit is not possible (per my first posting).

Actually, my original post needs to be deleted. I understand how things can get misconstrued on an Internet thread.

But still, I would like to know, since I'm interested in other cultures, I'd like the feeling of being in another country without actually having to go to another country (in this case, Mexico). I really do like Southwestern/Mexican culture, so will there be days where I feel like I'm in MEXICO and not just "New" Mexico?

Last edited by SalzDeu1291; 07-09-2011 at 03:34 PM..

Old 07-09-2011, 03:25 PM

146 posts, read 325,927 times
I am far from an expert on NM, having lived here less than 2 months. I can say though that I don't feel at all like I live in a foreign country, lol. I live in NE heights, spend most of my workaday life on the SW side of ABQ, and it honestly feels like anytown/suburban USA to me. I have heard little to no Spanish speaking (I heard more back east as a matter of fact, we had a bigger Mexican immigrant population there!), and I wouldn't know if they were cursing anyway.

I can't speak to the whole tone and voice pitch issue among American nationals because I can't say that I have ever noticed it, which means I must be one of the loud ones. So, sorry about that! I think Abq is great, but it sure doesn't sound like what you are looking for, but I do hope you find it.

Old 07-09-2011, 04:41 PM

3,689 posts, read 9,185,180 times
Albuquerque does have a little Mexico area near Central & Old Coors SW. Overall, Albuquerque is far from a Mexican city. A visit to Pro's Ranch market can sometimes make you forget, though.

El Paso is significantly more Mexico-like than Albuquerque. Other border cities such as Nogales, Tecate, Eagle Pass, etc. are similarly Mexico-like.

If you want Mexico, go to Mexico. There are plenty of safe areas to visit, and perhaps the occasional form of employment (though the government of Mexico is pretty strict about what jobs they'll permit noncitizens to "take" from citizens). Anything else is not going to be the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: