Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 12:04 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taba View Post
Hi,

We are staying in Albuquerque for a few months (coming from Scandinavia), as my husband is working at UNM at the moment.

We have three kids, two of them in elementary school - and wanted them to go to public school while we are here. After looking around on the internet we decided on a school that seemed to get really good reviews everywhere. The bonus was that it's close to UNM and in a really nice neighborhood in Nob Hill. We're superhappy with the school so far! Oh - and we love love love the libraries that we have visited, they're great!

All in all - we really like it here and are quite impressed by some features of the community where we live, especially the friendly people everywhere!
Hi Taba,

Where are you from in Scandinavia?

I was an exchange student to Sweden for a year about 20 years back. It was a beaufitul place! Funny, my wife was reading a kids book about the Vikings just this evening...we love that part of the world. I did a research fellowship to Ireland a couple years back, and I still need to visit Iceland!!!

Anyhow, welcome to the USA, and thanks for the perspective on Nob Hill!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 12:57 AM

5 posts, read 6,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Hi Taba,

Where are you from in Scandinavia?

I was an exchange student to Sweden for a year about 20 years back. It was a beaufitul place! Funny, my wife was reading a kids book about the Vikings just this evening...we love that part of the world. I did a research fellowship to Ireland a couple years back, and I still need to visit Iceland!!!

Anyhow, welcome to the USA, and thanks for the perspective on Nob Hill!
Thanks! We live in Norway, although my husband is from Ireland. And btw - I also still need to visit Iceland!

Old 08-24-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taba View Post
Thanks! We live in Norway, although my husband is from Ireland. And btw - I also still need to visit Iceland!
Interesting, your kids will be like the Icelanders. I heard the Norwegians brought many Scottish and Irish brides, and so the Icelanders have a bit of the Viking and Celt to them.

One of my biggest regrets is never exploring Norway. I made it to Oslo, but never on to Bergen or the Jotenheimen. Perhaps some day.

As residents of rainy, dark NW Europe, how do you like New Mexico?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:44 PM

5 posts, read 6,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post

As residents of rainy, dark NW Europe, how do you like New Mexico?
First - and as you probably know; the summers in Scandinavia are usually fantastic, with bright evenings and comfortable termperatures - but the winters can be horrific!

We really love it here! It's certainly very different to home, but that's the whole point of the trip as well. And also there are many features of the society here that have similarities with what we are used to.

It seems that everything is very easy going here in ABQ, and the people are remarkably friendly and helpful. The climate took some time getting used to, but now it's actually quite comfortable, and I can't say I'm looking forward to coming back to 10 degrees Fahrenheit, snow and dark in November...

Old 08-28-2011, 06:06 PM

146 posts, read 325,945 times
We are bookish and outdoorsy too, and we love it here. All of our family and friends are on the East coast, but I doubt we will ever leave Abq.

Schools: We came from out East and used a mixture of public and private schools there. We have a freshman at Eldorado High and at first I was a little annoyed b/c they were making him retake several courses he took in 8th grade (he was in a gifted program and went to the local high school in 8th grade for math and English Lit). They told me that freshman, even as brilliant and talented as my son NEVER, take courses with sophomores or upper classmen, ever. No exceptions, so they put him in all honors courses. Honors or not, retaking Algebra I and English Lit I seemed like a total waste and I was perturbed. However, after talking with his teachers, they have been more than happy to give my son appropriate level work. He is getting the best of both worlds, age/peer appropriate socialization and a challenging individualized curriculum. He said he has 2 trouble makers in one of his classes, and the teacher just puts them in the hallway for the whole class. Now, this is not good for those kids, but I am pleased that they are not permitted to disrupt the class and distract the students who do want to learn. My son also says that other than that class (his only non-honors course) he doesn't have any badly behaved kids in his courses. He is an athlete and the coaches really stress academics for the kids as well. Also, he plays more than one sport, and the coach for one sport comes to games for the other to cheer him on. I am very impressed at the support the teachers and coaches have shown my son. Granted, we are only 2 weeks into the year, but so far, I am extremely pleased with Eldorado. Downside: he is learning some colorful language I don't care for. :raise eyebrow:

We did not put our other kids into the local elementary and middle schools that we were zoned for, and since we are zoned for Eldorado, you can narrow that down, lol. We almost went private, but the day before school started they got a space so we sent them to a public charter school (they had been on waiting lists since April), and we LOVE it. I am not comfortable identifying where my young kids go to school, but I will say that we are extremely picky about education issues, and could NOT be more pleased with this school. They really go above and beyond in every respect. So all I can say is that there are outstanding options available that are not private. Each family will have to search and find the ones that work for them.

Library: My problem with the libraries is the same problem I'm having every where else it seems: lack of supervision for kids. The libraries are noisy and kids are running wild. This is not a City of Abq problem, this is a modern young parent problem (IMHO). However, it is irritating me to no end now b/c Abq is larger than my old town and there are more unsupervised children and tweens, lol. Probably not more per capita, just more. The library resources have been adequate, librarians excellent, and the main library is actually pretty neat (just don't go hoping to use a computer). They are very good about locating and ordering materials you want that they don't have.

Outdoors: we have it all. honestly, I can't get enough. I had to go back East last week and just got back, and when the plane was landing (good place to say what a nice airport Abq Sunport is) I was so happy to see the Abq landscape out the window. It isn't green, but it is starkly beautiful. I really appreciate how the mountains are not developed like they are back east, with condos and touristy crap everywhere. There is a ton of stuff to do. We hike, bike, run, and canoe weekly. My husband found a running club and a ball league for his age group, I am in a running group for fat old women and all of my kids have league sports going on in addition to school. There are family events every weekend. Parks are everywhere, and they are safe and clean. Abq residents are friendly, and generous. My kids have been fundraising for school (yea, already) and each of them has raised hundreds of dollars easily. Plus, one of them made a pretty penny with a lemonade stand, lol. People here are just nice.

I have heard complaints about the Abq PD, but I have found them friendly and helpful, perhaps b/c I have not broken any laws and just had questions. In any event, they seemed pleased to be able to answer my questions and happy to welcome us to Abq. No crime in my neighborhood (NE Heights) that I am aware of. I lock the doors when I leave and don't put up signs that say "No one is home, help yourself," but so far, no problemo.

We don't speak any Spanish either. I rarely hear it spoken in public, and the t-shirt I saw at the Sunport comes to mind "New Mexico: Not really New, and not really Mexico." In other words, this is still the US and everybody pretty much speaks English.

We just love Abq. I just wish all my friends would move here. I miss them, but I won't move back.

Old 08-28-2011, 08:53 PM

Just wanted to add that I have secretly compared notes with another member via PM, and we are both in love with different charter schools, so there is educational bliss in more than one place in Abq!

Old 08-28-2011, 10:30 PM

Thanks AdamsWest!

I appreciate your experiences and insights. Had a great birthday party for the sprout today. He received some excellent legos and a an electric piano. Here's hoping the instrument can compete!

Old 08-29-2011, 11:59 PM

152 posts, read 319,518 times
By the way, since you were asking about the Glenwood Hills area earlier, that neighborhood is zoned for Eldorado High School. I actually graduated from Eldorado about a year ago, and I loved it there. I think it's the best high school in Albuquerque.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan M View Post
By the way, since you were asking about the Glenwood Hills area earlier, that neighborhood is zoned for Eldorado High School. I actually graduated from Eldorado about a year ago, and I loved it there. I think it's the best high school in Albuquerque.
Yep, seems like Glenwood Hills area would be pretty darn nice. We'll see where this goes...

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 08-30-2011 at 02:32 PM..

Old 08-30-2011, 08:47 PM

My husband is descended from Vikings and we live in Glenwood Hills (I love them both very much). The world is full of coincidences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque