Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,651 times

Advertisements

Original post from pj1964 stated:
"My list is ABQ, Colorado Springs, Knoxville(to close to put in order!) then Asheville N.C. is last. If all those fall thru for some reason, Tyler is my fall back city."

I am currently in the same phase of life: researching the most desireable place to relocate and settle in.

I am originally from west Michigan. Have lived in WI, OR coast, HI, GA, SC (Hilton Head), NC (Charlotte), FL (twice). I am currently living in the Tampa Bay area. Granted, I love the beaches, but WAY too many people here...and the traffic is WAY too stressful for my liking. The population of Tampa Bay area is double the population in the whole state of NM. I WANT OUT.

The top two choices to best suit our search for zen are Albuquerque and Asheville. (Minimal snow wanted).

I love the outdoors (biologist by degree) and am seeking a cost effecient, more peaceful life.

Anyone out there have constructive comments/first hand comparisons? I work in the cancer research field so career opportunities at decent/new cancer centers are one of the factors. Don't care to be in a big city at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 08:58 AM

212 posts, read 539,010 times
ABQ is a comfortable town if you like heat and sun... This year has been humid though, so be sure to get refrigerated A/C when you move here, as swamp coolers are useless when it's humid. In my 4 years of moving around rentals, I'd say 60-80% of the rentals out there, both apartments/houses have swamp coolers, because they are so much cheaper than refrigerated air. So it's hard to find refrigerated unless you get a big new apt complex, or a new build house (last 10 years) or so. Or if you're buying a house, it's a no brainer than it should have a new, efficient, refrigerated a/c installed. Unless of course you're 5-10% body fat and enjoy the heat/sweating.

Traffic is not that bad. The only major headache I routinely see; I25 & Paseo, is currently under review by the voters to see if we're all going to pitch in our tax dollars to redo the intersection. Crowds are not that bad, nothing like a big Florida city like Tampa. Drivers can be crazy though, I see alot of irritated road rage, tailgating, people running late at 7:40 in the morning tailgating me because they're 10 minutes late to work.

I've lived in New Orleans, DC Metro area Northern VA for most of childhood, Europe for a couple years, Columbus OH for 9 years, and now ABQ the last 4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekingZen View Post
Original post from pj1964 stated:
" Have lived in WI, OR coast, HI, GA, SC (Hilton Head), NC (Charlotte), FL (twice).
Anyway, where on the Oregon coast? Can you share your thoughts/experience? This is a place I have always been curious about, and willing to consider as a potential residence. Likes/dislikes etc?

Old 08-28-2012, 04:29 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
I wouldn't say it has been especially humid. I can count the days that my swampcooler didn't keep my rather large house under the upper 70s on one hand. And those were days that were especially hot, but not humid. Furthermore, the humidity is often caused by local showers that bring the outside air down to the low 70s to low 80s anyway.

In short, don't let refrigerated air vs. swampcooler be a deal breaker in looking for housing in Albuquerque. While I agree that A/C has superior cooling powers, swamcoolers are nonetheless effective at keeping reasonable temps in your home on even the hottest days. Now if there we had 100 degree temps and high humidity, well then that's another story.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:24 AM

2 posts, read 4,651 times
Apparently "swampcooler" is local terminology. No such thing exists in the SE, though humidity certainly does. Everything is relevant. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-29-2012, 08:02 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,735 times
Quote:
Apparently "swampcooler" is local terminology. No such thing exists in the SE, though humidity certainly does. Everything is relevant. Thanks for the info.
It is not local terminology. It is terminology used where ever evaporative coolers are prevalent.

Evaporative cooler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-29-2012, 08:26 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Apparently "swampcooler" is local terminology. No such thing exists in the SE
A swamp cooler (evaporative cooler, desert cooler, and wet air cooler, etc) is a device that cools air through the evaporation of water. It adds moisture to dry air. The technology goes back throughout the world for several thousand years. In the SE and other humid areas "Air washers" and "wet cooling towers" use the same principles as evaporative coolers but they are designed for purposes other than directly cooling the air inside a building.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:44 PM

96 posts, read 306,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeFriendly View Post
Coming from the midwest, it's a pleasure to drive on city streets without getting a concussion from being bounced between potholes. These roads are smooth as glass.
Ha ha ha! Are you from Tulsa too? Talk about a concussion; we have the worst roads in America. I'm sure of it.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:11 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
OP - I hope you were paid by the Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce for that outstanding review.

We currently live in southern NH and I hope this is going to be our last winter here. I plan on retiring late summer next year. We will be looking for some place to winter over. Where would we look for places and roughly how much would we have to pay?

Old 05-19-2013, 06:51 PM

15 posts, read 35,068 times
I have really enjoyed reading this thread!! My boyfriend and I currently live in WI. Both of us were born and raised here and after more than 20yrs here we are both ready to leave. For the last year we have traveled to a few different states we were interested in moving to; Asheville, NC was our first choice. We went there and although we LOVED the scenery, the city itself was just too small. Our next choice was Pueblo, CO. We wanted to live in CO but could not afford Denver, so we thought Pueblo would be nice considering the weather and cost of living. Now after much research we have finally decided ABQ is where we belong. My boyfriend has been there twice in his life and loved it both times. I have never been but I can only dream about how amazing it is. From what I have read I understand that ABQ has everything to offer that I desire. I love to cook, travel, garden, hike, camp, admire art, and learn new things. This thread was the first thread I read that really gave me all of the info I was looking for. We will be moving there in August once our current lease is up. We both work in the service industry, so I know jobs won't be too hard to come by. I love the cost of living there and the architecture. My only question for anyone out there is, how do you move across the country? Did you sell everything and just move with a backpack? Do you have a vehicle that brought you there or did you fly? Neither one of us have ever moved out of state and we are having a hard time figuring out exactly how to do that. How do you find an apartment? I know the OP said he's staying in a hotel, is that what most people do? Thanks to everyone who contributed the wonderful information to this thread. It has really made my day

Old 05-19-2013, 06:56 PM

15 posts, read 35,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeFriendly View Post
Coming from the midwest, it's a pleasure to drive on city streets without getting a concussion from being bounced between potholes. These roads are smooth as glass.
This also makes me very happy. My boyfriend LOVES driving and WI has the worst roads and drivers. We were just living in Milwaukee where every street in the entire city has pot holes that will flatten your tire or wreck your whole car. Also the drivers in this state do not know how to read signs or drive correctly. North Carolina has had the best drivers/roads that I have seen so far. I'm glad to hear ABQ roads are nice!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque