Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 01:25 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,942 times

Advertisements

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree.

Just because a family is struggling to keep their heads above water it doesn't mean they are not involved. I think families who's both parents have successful careers and are working 16 hour days are likely to have less involvement, plus the money they throw at their kids to keep them occupied can quite easily go towards drugs.

I have a friend who's daughter goes to LC, they found photo's of drugs on her phone plus several texts from other students offering drugs and the prices they sell them for. The information is with the principal now, personally I would have handed it over to the police.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 04:28 PM

662 posts, read 1,451,103 times
La Cueva has had five or six football games so far. Sadly, several schools didn't even have a marching band, and others had woefully puny ones. Even in my small town in Wisconsin we had a decent sized marching band. This speaks to me of poverty and schools with arts programs that are lacking.

These are anecdotal drug stories. Every school has them. At my son's Austin middle school last year, a boy was selling pot and prescription drugs from his locker. At the small town high school in Wisconsin where I taught in the 1980's we had students come to class high on cocaine.

In Plano, TX, there were kids doing meth. I'm sure at all the local high schools there are groups of kids doing drugs. I pray my son doesn't get involved, but you know that I am watching him like a hawk and he is on Cross Country and in the marching band, so he is very busy right now.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:49 PM

1,633 posts, read 3,742,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
These are anecdotal drug stories.
No mine is a true story. He brought the phone to me to show him how to copy the texts to his computer in case the principal decides not to act upon it. He showed me one text which had the name of the student and his photo next to his text describing what he had and how much he wanted for it.

That might be considered anecdotal in Texas but where I come from it's called evidence.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:07 PM

662 posts, read 1,451,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncohomes View Post
No mine is a true story. He brought the phone to me to show him how to copy the texts to his computer in case the principal decides not to act upon it. He showed me one text which had the name of the student and his photo next to his text describing what he had and how much he wanted for it.

That might be considered anecdotal in Texas but where I come from it's called evidence.
Anecdotal means it's not statisitical; it's just one example. I don't question the veracity or truthfulness of your story. I'm sure it occurred as did the examples I gave from other schools. As I said, every school has its anecdotal stories. The question is what are the statistics? The test scores at La Cueva are statistical and factual. These don't exemplify a frightening, drug addled place. However, I don't kid myself and am very attentive as a parent of a teenager. I know that at any school my kid could get into a bad crowd and experiment with drugs--this includes La Cueva.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:12 AM

26 posts, read 43,076 times
If you are looking for a school where your daughter will not be lost in the crowd, get a chance to be on teams, get mostly good teachers with a fairly good counciling department. They have an abundance of activities. Yes, there are drugs, but the fact is there are drugs at Every HS, there just isn't as big a problem.
I agree with Zoidberg, Sandia is your best bet.
It is centrally located and there is lots to do.
I would also go for Madison MS, and Osuna Elem or Sombre del Monte Elem.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:40 PM

142 posts, read 323,578 times
When I was in school, the more money a child's parents had, the more likely they were to use "hard" drugs. The poor kids that used something drank and smoked pot, the rich kids drank and used coke, heroin, ecstacy, etc. I went to a very prominent private school. My recommendation regarding drug use is to monitor the habits of the kids your children are hanging out at. Personally, if I had children they would go to Academy. If for some reason that was unavailable, I would send them to any APS school. The kids can always go to UNM for classes if they really excel at a subject.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: