Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2011, 07:51 PM

7 posts, read 26,573 times

Advertisements

I am not trolling. I did not write this thread to offend any Albuquerque residents. In my month and a half here, I have met a number of nice, friendly, caring Albuquerque residents. Customer service is great too, better than other places I've been too. But as for any city, Albuquerque is not for everyone, and I'm ready to go to Seattle this weekend. Just read any city's forum on City-Data - people always write threads like "Why I'm leaving city XYZ" or "Why I hate city XYZ" - so I guess it's my turn now. I don't know what I expect to accomplish by writing this other than making my opinions known, but maybe people can give me some insight.

1) Too many jaywalkers - I thought San Antonio, TX was the "jaywalking capital of the world" until I got to Albuquerque! Pedestrians here just do NOT have any patience and will risk their necks (literally) crossing the street onto busy traffic. I'm just appalled at their stupidity. Having said that, I'm thankful for the few pedestrians who do use crosswalks and "wait their turn."

2) Most (but not all) motorcyclists do not wear helmets and I'm tired of being woken up at 3am by their LOUD engines driving by. 'Nuff said.

3) Hardly anyone here speaks Spanish. I spent COUNTLESS hours over several months reviewing my college Spanish, getting ready for Albuquerque, and then I got here and it turned out hardly anyone speaks Spanish. No words can express how pissed off and disappointed I am that I got to use maybe TWO phrases of Spanish for the month and a half I was here.

4) Too many wanna-be gangsters (some of them might be REAL gangsters, so you need to watch out!). Again, 'nuff said.

5) Too bright - sunglasses here are a MUST. However, I kept dropping them (because I'm not used to wearing them at all) and breaking them so I gave up after the third pair. Now I'm blinded every time I go out. I know, I know, in Seattle, I'll be trading Albuquerque's year-round sunshine for (at least) six months of non-stop clouds and rain, but I NEED more cloudy days!

6) TATTOOS - I have never been to a city of this size where SOOO MANY have tattoos. I have NO desire to ever get a tattoo, but the attitude seems to be (although no one has actually told me this): "If you don't get a tattoo, you won't fit in in Albuquerque." So I need to move. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if doctors, lawyers and teachers here had tattoos!

Again, I've met a number of nice, down-to-earth friendly people here and drivers are more courteous than in other places I've been to (hint: East Coast) and customer service is also superior to other places I've been to. But in the end, Albuquerque is just not for me. New Mexico is a "nice place to visit, but wouldn't want to live here." Seattle, here I come!

Old 10-13-2011, 08:06 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,937,571 times
I'm sorry, but some of your priorities are just mind-boggling. But good luck in Seattle. I do fear you'll see some tattoos there.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:13 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,062,159 times
This can't be real, can it?

Old 10-13-2011, 08:30 PM

995 posts, read 2,728,297 times
Sounds like living back in Brooklyn minus the sun glasses.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,786 times
Adios and Auf Wiedersehen

1. I am sure that no one would dare jaywalk in Seattle.
2. Washington does have a helmet law. Perhaps they also have silent cycles.
3. I certainly hope you've done better research on Seattle. For example, have you immersed yourself in learning Farsi, Tajik, Tagalog or Hungarian with some misguided belief that those languages are spoken in the Pacific NW?
4. No gang activity in Seattle....although this guy seems to think there are some Gang Territory Maps -
5. I am pretty sure it does occasionally stop raining in Seattle, and that there are actual sunny days. This World Facts and Figures - Weather Facts and Statistics indicates that there are approximately 71 of them every year. Perhaps you should get some sort of chain, strap, shoelace to tie the sunglasses to you so that you do not break them. Or get a pocket. They even have shirts with pockets.
6. Oh look...they even had an expo Seattle Tattoo Expo

Good luck to you. I expect in six weeks we'll hear complaints about all of the homeless, the rain, the Cobain wannabee's and the meth and heroin problems.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:34 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,937,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMHacker View Post
This can't be real, can it?
It probably isn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Albuquerque
View detailed profiles of: